S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?

Old 03-10-2020, 08:10 AM

Received 3,178 Likes on 1,746 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Per son-in-law: Haven’t heard of that brand. I like the new brand I bought my last pair (definetly on sale) hari Mari. Still like the rainbow brand but not a brand if you need arch support.
Here's a visual of the two thongs.

^Spenco women's Yumi 2 Snake. $59.99 on Zappos.

^hari mari Nokona flip flop. $110 on Zappos.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:31 AM

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,715 Posts

For $110.00 I want an entire shoe!! Those flip flops for men look as if they offer zero support.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
For $110.00 I want an entire shoe!! Those flip flops for men look as if they offer zero support.
I wanted to show the support that Spencos have. They really are perfect for my feet.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:34 AM

Received 3,727 Likes on 2,513 Posts

You can tell Patty's California roots. sandals and flip flops. thongs
Old 03-10-2020, 02:29 PM
tof

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Sat evening we are going to our fave Italian place up the street to celebrate 15 years of unwedded bliss.
Congratulations on 15 years living in sin. Well done!
Old 03-10-2020, 02:32 PM
tof

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Hertz Donut
On Saturday I got bored with sitting around doing nothing while house-sitting so I went for a roughly 5 mile wander around the town to see the (very limited) sights. I wasn't planning on this so didn't bring any shoes, I only had a pair of cheap, half-worn-through flip-flops with me since I drive bare-feet most of the time. Bad idea. Within the first quarter mile I was getting rubbing, and by the end I'd worn through the filp-flops and had grown and popped blisters on the soles of both feet. Fortunately I had a large block of almond chocolate back at the house and oral application of this, supplemented with a course of several hours of motorsport on TV, resolved the issue.

Next time I'll think ahead and bring my walking flip-flops instead.
Rule of two: Two is one and one is none. Always have a spare, whether its pairs of shoes or rolls of aluminum foil or jugs of laundry detergent or cartons of eggs. Not that I take foil or eggs on the road, but you get the idea.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:09 PM

Received 5,343 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
Rule of two: Two is one and one is none. Always have a spare, whether its pairs of shoes or rolls of aluminum foil or jugs of laundry detergent or cartons of eggs. Not that I take foil or eggs on the road, but you get the idea.
Yep that's why I buy two handles at a time.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
You can tell Patty's California roots. sandals and flip flops. thongs

ZORIES!

Who Made That Flip-Flop?

By Pagan Kennedy

“I do not know how you feel about the Japanese,” wrote a journalist named Elliott Chaze in 1952, “but I do like their feet.” Seven years after World War II, many Americans still regarded the Japanese as enemies — and distrusted anything to do with the country. Yet a rubber version of a Japanese sandal called the zori had become a popular item in U.S. drugstores. “Our women have commenced wearing thonged sandals,” Chaze announced, noting that “obscene picture-books” from Asia eroticized the feet. Japanese women, he believed, revealed themselves in the curl of their toes. And now, thanks to the rubber zoris, American women would too.
Elizabeth Semmelhack, senior curator at the Bata Shoe Museum in Toronto, says that the flip-flop probably originated in the factories of Japan. “The rubber industry was in full swing,” she said, and local designers would have experimented with synthetic zoris. The Hiroshima Rubber Company made the sandals for export in the 1950s — supersizing the zoris to accommodate Westerners’ feet.

“All us well-dressed Lake Tahoe summer residents are wearing thongs this year,” reported the humorist Frank Johnson in 1960, adding, with what now seems shocking racism, that “we pad around in floppy hunks of rubber a sensible coolie wouldn’t wear into a rice paddy.” According to Semmelhack, the term “flip-flop” arose spontaneously in the 1960s, inspired by the slap-slap of rubber as it hit the foot. That year the thongs spread to beaches everywhere and soon Americans began to believe that the rubber thong had been our idea all along.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:39 PM

Received 3,727 Likes on 2,513 Posts

I blew out my flip flop
Stepped on a pop top
Cut my heel had to cruise on back home
But there's booze in the blender
And soon it will render
That frozen concoction that helps me hang on
Old 03-10-2020, 03:58 PM

Received 771 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
True, the irony is my job is heavily involved in risk mitigation and system redundancy to ensure our company never has a major failure, but this one just slipped past me because it was a last minute decision to go down and there was no plans to do anything at all, I just got bored and went for a wander.

On the bright side the house settled late yesterday and funds are now safely tucked under the mattress.

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?