S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?

Old 05-25-2023, 07:54 AM

Received 5,797 Likes on 3,416 Posts

I rode on the back of a college buddy's big Harley while in college and swore I would never do it again. And I have not.
Old 05-25-2023, 12:13 PM

Received 829 Likes on 427 Posts

Might get started on the new farm entrance fencing and gates, unless the flooring for the garage kitchen turns up, in which case I'll be making a mess of that.
Old 05-25-2023, 12:17 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Do you run a cattle guard at you entrance? What kind of fencing do you use? I'm interested in what it will look like when you're done. Other pics of your place look pretty nice.
I'm always ranch curious.
Old 05-25-2023, 03:36 PM

The new road crossing isn't in place yet, we're waiting for quotes so we can get that in. We don't use a cattle guard currently but we may have to look at one for the new entrance.

The overall entrance area is about 55ft wide, between two other properties. There's currently a 13ft wide, 120ft long driveway down one side that leads into one of the paddocks, which comes out into a muddy spot that regularly swallows vehicles whole. The current entry gate is a rusty, badly-hung chain-link version, tenuously attached to an old metal Y-post, while the paddock end hosts a heavy 14ft steel gate that I have to drag back and forth every time I need access. The rest of the width of the entrance area (i.e. ~42ft) is a curved, open storm drain that cuts off about 4,000sqft of land beside the road outside the current front fence, which we have to cut with a brush cutter since there's no vehicle access.

The plan is to put a crossing over this storm drain, about 30ft wide, which will lead through two 14ft wide steel gates in a 5ft high post and rail fence, then on into a roughly 130ft long driveway to enable stock trucks and harvesters to pull off the road easily, since they can't fit into the current farm entrance.

Then they'll get to the fence and gate I'm about to build, which will be a 5ft high post and rail fence with a 14ft wide heavy steel gate. Eventually this will form the roadside end of our stock yard when we move it, but for now it'll just enable us to get through to the inaccessible land on the road frontage. A loading ramp will be built here when the stock yard is moved.

The back end of the entrance area is about 280ft further in, I've put a 4ft high post and rail fence and 14ft steel gate in there already, to keep the stock away from our bee hives.

I'll try and remember to post an overhead view at some point, work's currently blocking a fair amount of pictures and uploads. I have an image in my head of what I want to achieve, whether or not it ends up anything like it remains to be seen.
The following users liked this post:
jukngene (05-25-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 03:13 PM

Received 3,214 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Attended the family gathering at my local sister's home last evening. We were outside, and it was quite chilly as time went on. I know the SC folks were freezing. The party ended early. It would have been hard to move indoors. I have a cousin who is wheel chair bound and if a house is not handicapped accessible it's a problem. Anyway a good time was had.

Today I went to my spin class. After lunch Rick and I went for a nice walk on a boardwalk in Fall River. It starts at a park with a replica of the Vietnam Memorial Wall and ends at Battleship Cove

Had a drink on the deck of a restaurant with a waterview after the walk.

Tomorrow, made a late lunch reservation at a local restaurant (lots of seafood). Will sit on the deck, overlooking the water, some of the fishing fleet and the very old Swing bridge.

Cookout on Monday at a friend's home.

Old 05-27-2023, 06:10 PM

Received 4,286 Likes on 3,331 Posts

Still pretty worn out from work but started early this morning and got a coat of wax on the S. Also conditioned the seats and cleaned the light covers front and back and the exhaust tips. Also washed the WRX. Got invited down to the lake at a house my friends are staying at but have to work sun and Monday. Don’t enjoy working on weekends when the weather is good but such is life.
zeroptzero (05-28-2023)
Old 05-28-2023, 04:04 AM

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,676 Posts

My wife is painting the entrance doors on our home this weekend, inside and out. She has turned into a fantastic painter, and she doesn't want me touching paint as I don't have the patience for it (her words not mine) lol . I do all of the hole patching and sanding though, then she does the painting. She also picks all of the colours too, I learned long ago that my colour selection is not up to her standards.
Old 05-28-2023, 05:41 AM

Received 4,286 Likes on 3,331 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
My wife is painting the entrance doors on our home this weekend, inside and out. She has turned into a fantastic painter, and she doesn't want me touching paint as I don't have the patience for it (her words not mine) lol . I do all of the hole patching and sanding though, then she does the painting. She also picks all of the colours too, I learned long ago that my colour selection is not up to her standards.
I'm the same way with painting I don't enjoy it always end up drifting off and making a mess. It's funny how different people like/dislike different mundane tasks.
zeroptzero (05-28-2023)
Old 05-28-2023, 11:46 AM

Well my plans didn't eventuate, they've been pushed out a week. Instead I hung a couple of 14ft gates in the paddocks, then took the chainsaw to a couple of trees.

We lost a totara (native conifer) to the cyclone, so I dragged that off the back lawn and cut it up in the work yard. Then I headed out to take care of the willow that was struck by lightning. I'd cut this back in stages right after the cyclone but a few branches were still hanging over the back paddock, so I strapped the cage of an IBC on the pallet forks on the tractor to make a rudimentary cherry picker to get me another 8ft or so up to trim everything back above the electric fence and the edge of the creek. I should point out gravity, hydraulic failures and karma do not exist in NZ.

Old 05-28-2023, 01:32 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Quote "I should point out gravity, hydraulic failures and karma do not exist in NZ."
That's because you're upside down.
Another John Deere fan.
Hertz Donut (05-28-2023)

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?