S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?

Old 04-16-2023, 03:14 AM

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
In FL they have them for garages and they pull down similar to how a normal garage door does. When I was working on cars a lot in my garage I considered one, after seeing them in FL, because we've had some years where the mosquitoes were really bad. Never followed up on doing it.

Joey, that looks good. Frankly, I wasn't aware of that style until you mentioned it and I had to look it up.
Yeah there are a few kinds out there, some of the larger screens even meet in the middle with a magnetic connection.

I had a brand new self-storing screen door (metal bottom and glass/screen up top) to install on the door leading to the patio, but then my wife seen this at the hardware store and she thought it would work fine. We will now use the self-storing screen door on our garage. So I credit my wife for finding this one.
Old 04-16-2023, 04:26 AM

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,609 Posts

In FL they have them for garages and they pull down similar to how a normal garage door does. When I was working on cars a lot in my garage I considered one, after seeing them in FL, because we've had some years where the mosquitoes were really bad. Never followed up on doing it.
My sister has one on their garage door and it is nice. As you said, you can go out and work without being attacked by hoards of bugs!
Old 04-16-2023, 04:41 AM

Joey, that looks good. Frankly, I wasn't aware of that style until you mentioned it and I had to look it up.
Dave are you in Northern Michigan ? Do you get black flies in your area or just normal mosquitos ?

Unlike many Canadians we don't venture north of our region towards cottage country due to black flies. We will get mosquitos in our region at night, but further north has gigantic black flies which are unforgiving. My wife is one of those people who gets bitten 50 times for every one bite that I get, so we tend to avoid situations that can lead to her being attacked by insects.
Old 04-16-2023, 05:07 AM

Received 737 Likes on 499 Posts

Getting ready to play a round of golf. Beautiful day sunny and 70.
Old 04-16-2023, 05:11 AM

Received 737 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
My sister has one on their garage door and it is nice. As you said, you can go out and work without being attacked by hoards of bugs!
I put a split unit in my garage. No heat, cold or bug issues when I detail cars for my business. Plus I write it off on the business.
Old 04-16-2023, 05:52 AM

Received 5,332 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Southern Michigan; surrounded by woods and water sources. Mosquitos have been and can be overwhelming but thanks to Cutter Backyard Bug Control we have been able to take control. It amazed me how effective it is after finally finding a product that worked. We go north early before the black flies are an issue.
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 02:34 PM

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Dave are you in Northern Michigan ? Do you get black flies in your area or just normal mosquitos ?

Unlike many Canadians we don't venture north of our region towards cottage country due to black flies. We will get mosquitos in our region at night, but further north has gigantic black flies which are unforgiving. My wife is one of those people who gets bitten 50 times for every one bite that I get, so we tend to avoid situations that can lead to her being attacked by insects.
Years ago I went camping with my son on a Boy Scout trip on the French River. NEVER,NEVER AGAIN! Mosquitos & Black Flies my the millions! Black Flies at dusk and Mosquitos by night!

Last edited by Scooterboy; 04-16-2023 at 02:36 PM.
zeroptzero (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 04:26 PM

Received 2,969 Likes on 1,714 Posts

My sister lived in VT for a while...black flies that drew blood...nope didn't go back to visit at that time or year, nor in the winter!

Before we left NY today, we met up with my nephew and his family at Onondaga Lake which is near their house. It's where Rick and I walked yesterday. It's a lovely area. Today we met at a different, less busy section and the kids rode their bikes while the adults walked I was presented with several "flowers" (dandelions) along the way from both children. They did say the flowers were for Uncle Rick too. So sweet of them. Spending time with my late sister's grandchildren fills my . I know she was approving from above.

The drive is just about six hours and we stopped in Norton, MA to meet up with one of the young NE guys and his +1 for a late lunch at a local brewery. A good weekend!

The following 4 users liked this post by Lainey:
dlq04 (04-17-2023), jukngene (04-16-2023), Scooterboy (04-16-2023), zeroptzero (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
Years ago I went camping with my son on a Boy Scout trip on the French River. NEVER,NEVER AGAIN! Mosquitos & Black Flies my the millions! Black Flies at dusk and Mosquitos by night!
I knew a guy who worked in cottage country in Ontario Canada - Muskoka region. It is an area of multi-million dollar cottages and many get rented to people who have no idea about black fly country, they think they are going up to party in paradise. My friend said many of the first-timers get bitten so bad they end up in the emergency room at local hospitals. My wife and I don't take part in vacationing in cottage country, we will end up down south on a beach before we go to a cottage in Canada. My wife attracts bites like crazy, many times more than my son or I.
Scooterboy (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 05:01 PM

Today I installed my self-storing screen door on our garage, it is one we brought to the new home to use on the rear deck exit door , but we decided to do the retractable screen system there. I much prefer installing the retractable door yesterday, so much simpler. The self-storing screen door is much more sturdy though, it can take some abuse and will keep the weather elements away. I found a good place for the door though, and all areas are now covered.
Scooterboy (04-16-2023)

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?