S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?

Old 03-02-2023, 07:40 AM

Received 3,480 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
My local sister had extensive foot surgery. Bunion removal, toes straightened, pins, even a tendon released in her leg. Most painful, but her feet have been bothering her for years. She's not sure if she will have the other foot done. This has been a LOT, however, she has done amazing well. Hates prescription pain meds, they make her sick, so she has only taken Tylenol. She is braver than I. She had follow up yesterday and stitches removed. No weight bearing for six weeks, and six weeks in a boot. Long recovery.

She's had previous foot/ankle surgeries, so she's a pro at accommodating around the house.

Anyway, the point of all this is that this weekend, we will visit her and get take out for dinner on Saturday. She's been pretty house bound, so enjoys the company.

We haven't been out to eat in a while, maybe we will find a place to go for lunch on Sunday.
The pain must have been really bad for her to sign up for that recovery.
Old 03-02-2023, 08:29 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
The pain must have been really bad for her to sign up for that recovery.
it was. She even gave up her car with a stick shift as her foot killed her using a clutch. She had planned the surgery for last year, then broke her ankle on the other leg, so had to postpone it. The other foot needs surgery too. Not as bad, but hasn't decided yet if she will do it. The doc told her she tells people to do the worse foot first. Many don't sign up for surgery on the other foot.

The following users liked this post:
Kyras (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 10:30 AM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,642 Posts

Ms Patricia, check on weather underground to see if there is a weather observation site in your backyard.
to my speculative eye, I'd guess solar panel, battery pack, weather station and cell or RF link. maybe even GPS/seismological observation but that's a lot harder to check.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Ms Patricia, check on weather underground to see if there is a weather observation site in your backyard.
to my speculative eye, I'd guess solar panel, battery pack, weather station and cell or RF link. maybe even GPS/seismological observation but that's a lot harder to check.
Since the property is slated for home to be built I highly doubt it's a weather station. Could be seismological observation. That earth will be majorly excavated before the homes are built. When the earth movers were carving it all up before I thought we were having an earthquake lying in bed.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:27 AM
tof

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,409 Posts

^3-2-2023. Finally, the device that was placed in the last two months. Obviosly, it has some solar panels but what is it?
I did a google image search. Closest device that turned up was a landslide detection system.. So maybe the device in your pic is something to monitor the stability of the site before they go building on it. That would also account for the devices location fairly close to the edge of the formation.
Kyras (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 08:33 AM

Received 300 Likes on 228 Posts

Hoping to get back into the Berlina this weekend. This was Wednesday, when we hit 72 in West Central Ohio.

Now it's in the mid 40s with 2 inches of rain and near tropical storm winds.

Old 03-03-2023, 08:39 AM

Received 4,238 Likes on 3,299 Posts

Originally Posted by JoePhotographer
Hoping to get back into the Berlina this weekend. This was Wednesday, when we hit 72 in West Central Ohio.

Now it's in the mid 40s with 2 inches of rain and near tropical storm winds.

Nice hope you do get to go out for a ride. I was just thinking how I miss driving my S.
Old 03-03-2023, 10:20 AM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Group drive on Sunday with the EOQ Group. Weather is clear, but cool.

Saturday we will probably spend doing a bunch of work on our logistics. Lots of continued planning and preparation for the events. Storms can impact routes so we have to keep a constant eye on changes for the Avenue of Giants which is coming up quickly in May! And it's almost time to open up registration for Land of Lakes which is July 24-27. The Northeast Adventure may feel like a long ways off in September, but that time will fly by.
Old 03-03-2023, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by tof
I did a google image search. Closest device that turned up was a landslide detection system.. So maybe the device in your pic is something to monitor the stability of the site before they go building on it. That would also account for the devices location fairly close to the edge of the formation.
Plus there's been a ton of rain and there's been movement on other parts of that chunk of land. That makes perfect sense.
Old 03-03-2023, 07:16 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

I believe that it's to compact the site for future home sites in this case. We're talking major earth moving. This should go in the Odds and Ends Photos thread. You all know how I love to take pictures. But here's an explanation in photos. Oh, and these photos show how far cell phone cameras have improved on good old cameras (Nikon and Canon) since 2008 and 2010.

^3-2-2023. Finally, the device that was placed in the last two months. Obviosly, it has some solar panels but what is it?
The shape of the soils looks very "engineered". I think that Patty's right about it being what is called a "soils surcharge" to compress the soils below in order to take the weight of future construction. The measuring gear that is solar powered looks to be a compaction measuring device. I've only done a soils surcharge on one project in the past and we used a compaction monitoring device. Our soils engineer was a world leader in soils engineering and had written a couple of university level text books on the subject. His name was Antal Partos. When our surcharge period had ended and the pile had been scrapped away, his contract provided for his final field test. I nearly went into shock over this. He came to the site, stepped down into the slightly lower grade, touched the soils and took a small bit an put it into his mouth for a taste. He spit it out, looked at me and said that the job was "complete". I will never forget Antal. What a character.
Kyras (03-03-2023)

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?