S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?

Old 08-14-2022, 07:04 AM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

Joey, have you considered moving to the south, like Florida? What’s holding you in Canada? Family? Citizenship? Love of country? Feeling better every day of your life might be worth it, but I don’t know your situation, of course.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:36 AM

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
Joey, have you considered moving to the south, like Florida? What’s holding you in Canada? Family? Citizenship? Love of country? Feeling better every day of your life might be worth it, but I don’t know your situation, of course.
That is an excellent question. I actually love Florida myself, I have vacationed there for about 15 years with my wife and son. My mother and father did it for about 40 years and they often took us on family trips there. We spent most of our time in the Daytona Beach region, though I have travelled on the other coast a bit and spent time on Sanibel / Captiva Islands. We have been through the Florida Keys a few times and on up to Fort Jefferson on some side trips. It was all great.

I don't know what it is, but as soon as you land there the aches and pains go away. Now we have very hot weather here right now up here in Canada, sometimes hotter than what they are getting down south, but there is something about the region here that promotes aches and pains. It was a plan of mine to move to the US decades ago, but it just never happened, I always loved the US. I really should look at moving one of these days if I can swing it. I don't like the direction Canada is going so love of Country won't keep me here, I've had enough time with my extended family over the decades and I don't need to see them much more than I have, lol. My wife and son are most important. I don't know about getting citizenship in the US, I should definitely explore it. I tend to be a risk averse person, so that is likely what has kept me back. I think Florida would work out well for me though.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:43 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
Tim Hortons doughnuts?
Old 08-14-2022, 07:44 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I don't like the direction Canada is going so love of Country won't keep me here,
Can I interest you in a citizenship exchange?
Old 08-14-2022, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by tof
Tim Hortons doughnuts?
nah, their doughnuts aren't really that good, neither is the coffee as they just spike it with tons of caffeine lol, they have good marketing though. I much prefer Krispy Kreme doughnuts.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by tof
Can I interest you in a citizenship exchange?
That is a novel idea. But come February you will be begging me to give it back to you, lol.

Is it true that the state bird in MS is the mosquito ? My wife doesn't do well with mosquitos, as they attack her like mad, and totally leave me alone.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:57 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

nah, their doughnuts aren't really that good, neither is the coffee as they just spike it with tons of caffeine lol, they have good marketing though. I much prefer Krispy Kreme doughnuts.
I prefer cake doughnuts to raised, which is why I am a fan of both Hortons and Dunkin. I've heard the coffee at Tim Hortons went way down hill after they were acquired by Burger King.
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 09:59 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Is it true that the state bird in MS is the mosquito ? My wife doesn't do well with mosquitos, as they attack her like mad, and totally leave me alone.
I have heard that claim made about many states, especially southern states.
The mosquitos aren't usually too bad here on the coast, probably because of predominately on-shore breezes. But our gnats bite.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by tof
I prefer cake doughnuts to raised, which is why I am a fan of both Hortons and Dunkin. I've heard the coffee at Tim Hortons went way down hill after they were acquired by Burger King.
Tim Hortons was a great chain when it was Canadian run. Every location had a donut maker and made their own donuts, they just made coffee and donuts, not much else. When they got bought out by Restaurant Brands International and subsequently Burger King ? , everything changed. Donut making got done at some central location and no longer made on site. The donuts are chilled and sent to each store on a daily basis, now the donut stores are big on lunches and fancy meals that never existed before. You get a good sandwich for a few weeks and then it disappears for good and something new is being introduced. Many of the franchisees are very upset with head office as their profits are worse and they are constantly being told how to run their businesses.

They make an old fashioned plain donut that I like which has been around for decades, I think it is cake based ? Their honey dip and chocolate dip is good, and a double chocolate donut. We have one Krispy Kreme donut shop about 2 hours from me, I like to grab a couple of them when I am in the area, but that doesn't happen to often. I once heard someone from the South talk about a Mary Lee donut being the best donuts, but I've never had one.

I once new a guy who partied with Tim Horton on the night he died.

Old 08-14-2022, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by tof
I have heard that claim made about many states, especially southern states.
The mosquitos aren't usually too bad here on the coast, probably because of predominately on-shore breezes. But our gnats bite.
Yeah I got that line from a movie with Reese Witherspoon, I couldn't resist using it, lol.

Daytona Beach Florida was always good in terms of mosquitos with it having an on-shore breeze too, you are right that definitely helps. It was the no-see-ums that would always bite in Daytona. They were so small you could not see them. Same as gnats ?

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?