S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?

Old 08-07-2022, 06:59 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
What is the temp down there in Cuba, Joey?
Hey Rob, the odd thing is that it is much more comfortable here than when we left Canada. Temps here are about 30 degrees Celsius, but we are on the north coast of Cuba which has a continual on-shore breeze all day and night, the humidex doesn't factor into how we feel here. I know in Canada right now it can feel like 39 degrees C with the humidex, and it just feels gross there. We don't sweat as much here as we do in Canada. Sea temps are 29 degrees C, when we get hot we can jump in the ocean. We just find it more comfortable here despite any temp readings. While it may seem odd to vacation in southern locations in summer we often find it more enjoyable compared to what we get back home in summer.

Keep in mind we are at a major modern resort with air conditioned rooms and restaurants and lobbies. The average Cuban home is devoid of air conditioning, and it resembles what we might see as a commercial garage in North America

I think if you are in the middle of Cuba and more inland it can be different with more humidity and no on-shore breeze. We found similar effects in other countries where we vacationed in the past. The North shore of Antigua with an on-shore breeze was great, the south shore was much hotter with no breeze. Daytona Beach Florida was great with an on-shore breeze, while Orlando Florida was the hottest place on earth, lol.

The sun is much stronger here, you don't feel it but you are burning faster, we tan and burn so much quicker. My wife and I love the heat, and we never complain about hot temp weather, as we know how bad it can get in Canada in February, lol.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:08 AM

Received 4,289 Likes on 3,332 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Hey Rob, the odd thing is that it is much more comfortable here than when we left Canada. Temps are about 30 degrees Celsius here, we are on the north coast of Cuba which has a continual on shore breeze all day and night, the humidex doesn't factor into how we feel here. I know in Canada right now it can feel like 39 degrees C with the humidex, and it just feels gross there. We don't sweat as much here. Sea temps are 29 degrees C, when we get hot we can jump in the ocean. We just find it more comfortable here despite any temp readings. I think if you are in the middle of Cuba inland it can be different with more humidity.

The sun is much stronger here, you don't feel it but you are burning faster, we tan and burn so much quicker. My wife and I love the heat, we never complain about hot temp weather, as we know how bad it can get in Canada in February, lol.
It is hotter than that here in Vt right now and the air is stagnant. My Dad always says the same thing about Florida that he gets a nice breeze were he is but if you go inland it is hot. I figured it would be very humid down there.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:14 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Will be hot for the concert tomorrow evening but at least the sun will be down. The whole weekend has been hot so not really great for outdoor activities.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:22 AM

It is hotter than that here in Vt right now and the air is stagnant. My Dad always says the same thing about Florida that he gets a nice breeze were he is but if you go inland it is hot. I figured it would be very humid down there.
Yeah that is so true as your father has noted Rob. We found similar effects in other countries where we vacationed during summer months in the past. The North shore of Antigua with an on-shore breeze was great, but the south shore was much hotter with no breeze. Daytona Beach Florida was always great with an on-shore breeze, while Orlando Florida was the hottest place on earth, lol. We vacationed in Daytona Beach Florida for 13 summers, as soon as you crossed the coastal waterway bridge to Daytona from inland it was a totally different world. Ontario Canada just feels gross with high humidity and stagnant air as you describe.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Yeah that is so true as your father has noted Rob. We found similar effects in other countries where we vacationed during summer months in the past. The North shore of Antigua with an on-shore breeze was great, but the south shore was much hotter with no breeze. Daytona Beach Florida was always great with an on-shore breeze, while Orlando Florida was the hottest place on earth, lol. Ontario Canada just feels gross with high humidity and stagnant air as you describe.
The last time I went to Florida it was early September and I remember getting off the plane in Orlando and the heat/humidity was staggering.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Will be hot for the concert tomorrow evening but at least the sun will be down. The whole weekend has been hot so not really great for outdoor activities.
It has been hot/humid here all weekend and feels worse today. I've been staying in this weekend, doing a little light cleaning today but mainly taking it easy. Headed to work tonight and will be enjoying the A/C there!
Old 08-07-2022, 07:42 AM

The last time I went to Florida it was early September and I remember getting off the plane in Orlando and the heat/humidity was staggering.
During our Florida vacations we would have our main stay in Daytona Beach on the east coast, but we would go to Orlando for 1-2 days to do the Disney and other theme parks for our son. As soon as we crossed back to Daytona it was a world of relief, totally different than Orlando.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:26 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Donna got her first new Shingles shot on Friday. She was really bothered by it on Sat but is fine today. I spent the day in the garage . . . not mine but an MG buddy who is restoring a Magnette. Nothing I'd want but we had about dozen members hammering, welding, drilling, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Lainey (08-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 02:05 PM

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,864 Posts

We had a nice breeze in our yard late yesterday afternoon. With the awning rolled out providing shade, we were able to have our "garden & pizza party" outdoors. A fun time was had. My local sister joined us as did my cousin's widow, his daughter, another cousin and her partner and another friend.
Way too much food and many laughs. Good time!

Today was another hot one, too hot for an outing. I went to the gym (for a change) and have pretty much been sitting around ever since. Sat on the deck under the awning for a bit, but the breeze is more than a breeze and I didn't like what it was doing to the awning. Chicken is on the grill, maybe I'll take a little stroll at one of the nature areas after dinner.
The following users liked this post:
dlq04 (08-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 02:59 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

My middle grandson just (last Friday) moved into his apartment in Arlington, VA, just a couple miles from Deb's. Bea and I took some house-keeping and other stuff that he needed over today. He and his roommate found a wonderful 2-bedroom apartment on the 6th floor in this building: It is in a really nice neighborhood, with lots of mainly young professionals who live around there. They are both recent college grads and though my grandson has been working at home since January, this will be his first live-on-his-own experience. It is only a couple Metro stops from his office (same for his roommate) so they both will not need their cars very much. I just can't imagine what it feels like to be 22 and starting out like this!

Having to drive through DC traffic to get there was no fun!

Last edited by jukngene; 08-07-2022 at 03:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jukngene:
dlq04 (08-07-2022), Lainey (08-07-2022)

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?