S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?

Old 04-08-2022, 03:27 PM

Received 3,535 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
I keep having that caliper issue with my Subaru they get rotted out, I think they make them out of paper mache. My S has the original 18 year old brakes on it haven't even had to replace the pads.
You are lucky to have connections Lainey I called for an appointment for my Subaru and they are two and a half weeks out.
What are the symptoms Rob ? My Subaru WRX brakes feel mushy lately, but it started after the dealer did a brake service on them and it feels like there is air in the lines. I need to take them apart and check them over.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:49 PM

Received 4,014 Likes on 3,158 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
What are the symptoms Rob ? My Subaru WRX brakes feel mushy lately, but it started after the dealer did a brake service on them and it feels like there is air in the lines. I need to take them apart and check them over.
I had a caliper freeze up at 23k miles and the dealer replaced them under warranty as the rotors were also rotted and the pads were just about destroyed and then the l.r. caliper froze up awhile later but they cleaned them and they have been fine but the last few weeks the brakes like yours have felt mushy.
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 03:55 PM

I had a caliper freeze up at 23k miles and the dealer replaced them under warranty as the rotors were also rotted and the pads were just about destroyed and then the l.r. caliper froze up awhile later but they cleaned them and they have been fine but the last few weeks the brakes like yours have felt mushy.
Thanks for the info, I better look at mine soon, not sure what is happening. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2022, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Thanks for the info, I better look at mine soon, not sure what is happening. Thanks.
On my 17 WRX the brakes occasionally felt funky. I talked to a Subie mechanic about it and he said it had to do with one of the nannies that it had, I didn't notice it as much on my 18 but that may be your issue it is one of those nature of the beast things. Brake parts are sh*t now my rotors weren't even worn down they just rotted right out. If they use a lot of salt on the road were you are that could be your issue but I would think if they just serviced your brakes they would of let you know if any of the components needed to be replaced.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:58 PM

Received 5,342 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Amazing reading about the brake issues on modern cars. I recall having the pistons hang up in the calipers of my old MG. They were hanging up due to rust from sitting. I rebuilt them and never had an issue since.
Old 04-09-2022, 04:04 AM

On my 17 WRX the brakes occasionally felt funky. I talked to a Subie mechanic about it and he said it had to do with one of the nannies that it had, I didn't notice it as much on my 18 but that may be your issue it is one of those nature of the beast things. Brake parts are sh*t now my rotors weren't even worn down they just rotted right out. If they use a lot of salt on the road were you are that could be your issue but I would think if they just serviced your brakes they would of let you know if any of the components needed to be replaced.
Thanks Rob, yeah it felt worse after they did a brake service on them, it was like they did something to introduce air in the lines, here I'm thinking they should feel better after a service but not. I'm going to take them all apart myself first and see what is happening. We do get a ton of salt on the roads here, hence the reason I wash each of my two cars every 2 days in the winter months with my season wash pass, I do one car one day and the other car the next day, for 95 days. It is all we can do to help with salt accumulations under the car and in the wheel wells etc.
Old 04-09-2022, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04
Amazing reading about the brake issues on modern cars. I recall having the pistons hang up in the calipers of my old MG. They were hanging up due to rust from sitting. I rebuilt them and never had an issue since.
Yeah it is often just a small bit of corrosion and build up in the outer section of the brake piston that causes the issues most of the time, good thing you could service them yourself like that.
Old 04-09-2022, 04:39 AM

Received 2,752 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Headed to the farmers market. Good way to get exercise and lots of good, fresh stuff to buy.
The following users liked this post:
robb (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 05:17 AM

Received 894 Likes on 472 Posts

After getting the ratchet out of the wheel well, I got the new battery installed.

Cindy got home and wanted to go for a ride yesterday so I started it up, ran a little rough for a few minutes then settled down. Did about 120 miles or so, up/down the Delaware River. Other than pothole dodging, was a great ride.

Saw a pair of bald eagles about 20 miles from us. I may go back to that area today if I have time to see if they returned. We didn't see a nest anywhere from there to us - it could be further North?

Stopped for dinner at the Logan Inn in New Hope. The owner is Landmark Hospitality. They own the location where our wedding was (Hotel Du Village, also in New Hope), and our tasting was at the Logan because they were still remodeling the wedding location. They've been working on the Logan for about two years now. The transformation is unbelievable. The building is historic, 100 years old or so. They expanded outside, and the entire first floor is now an open seating area, visible kitchen. The rooms are ultra modern. https://www.loganinn.com/ is the website. We're about 15 minutes from there, but I sense an anniversary weekend there in 2023? We'll be in Pittsburgh for my nieces wedding this year.

Old 04-09-2022, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04
I have a buddy who is the service manager at the local garage here and he was telling me how the new brakes are just junk and actually even the Subie dealer basically said the same thing. I think the salt is the biggest problem however, I used to have the same issue on my Tacoma. I've never had to touch the brakes on my S which I would say is mostly due to the fact it is not driven in the winter in the salt.

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?