S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?

Old 04-07-2022, 01:30 PM

Received 1,313 Likes on 997 Posts

Well, I am hitting my first two autocrosses of this season this weekend which should be fun
The following 3 users liked this post by engifineer:
Kyras (04-08-2022), robb (04-07-2022), windhund116 (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 01:50 PM

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
Why are these lead times so crazy? If it is a "supply chain" problem from another country then it is time to make things here. Covid? An over used excuse. Most factories didn't shut down so where is the problem?
I never liked the idea of "Just in Time" manufacturing processes. A boat has to leave China a couple months ahead of the production date, then trucks have to deliver it to storage warehousing, and then the parts need to get to the manufacturing plants here in North America just ahead of the planned production date. If one of those links in the chain get behind for any reason you don't get your parts to assemble. You get months and months of back-ups and there is real trouble, very hard to get caught up. It could all be Covid related, but I can't say for sure. Inflation is causing a lot of people to get out of certain industries too, and the threat of death from Covid has caused people to rethink working in general. Supply chain logistical issues started under Covid coupled with employment issues in the transportation and distribution industries is making for one big mess.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:23 PM

Received 1,649 Likes on 980 Posts

In a perfect world with all cylinders firing, it works great. Just like the human body. Healthy and everything works! Throw a monkey wrench in and it affect the entire operation.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:29 PM
tof

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,351 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I never liked the idea of "Just in Time" manufacturing processes. A boat has to leave China a couple months ahead of the production date, then trucks have to deliver it to storage warehousing, and then the parts need to get to the manufacturing plants here in North America just ahead of the planned production date. If one of those links in the chain get behind for any reason you don't get your parts to assemble. You get months and months of back-ups and there is real trouble, very hard to get caught up. It could all be Covid related, but I can't say for sure. Inflation is causing a lot of people to get out of certain industries too, and the threat of death from Covid has caused people to rethink working in general. Supply chain logistical issues started under Covid coupled with employment issues in the transportation and distribution industries is making for one big mess.
Interesting that Toyota, a pioneer in Just In Time manufacturing warehoused a lot of chips and other electronics well before the "great chip shortage". That's why they have new cars down at the Toyota dealer while Honda, Ford, GM and others have mostly empty lots.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:34 PM

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
Interesting that Toyota, a pioneer in Just In Time manufacturing warehoused a lot of chips and other electronics well before the "great chip shortage". That's why they have new cars down at the Toyota dealer while Honda, Ford, GM and others have mostly empty lots.
My previous employer used just in time and lean manufacturing and had several times when they didn’t have the parts needed to produce. You might save money on inventory taxes but lose it on lost production.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by tof
Well that is more like the old way of manufacturing where you have stock piles of parts available and you weren't dependent on them arriving hours before assembly or installation from a third party supplier.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
In a perfect world with all cylinders firing, it works great. Just like the human body. Healthy and everything works! Throw a monkey wrench in and it affect the entire operation.
Yes, but no so good when your goods are on a slow boat from China and the ship can't get into port.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
My previous employer used just in time and lean manufacturing and had several times when they didn’t have the parts needed to produce. You might save money on inventory taxes but lose it on lost production.
This past winter we had a transport truck overturn on the major highway that runs through my region. There were engine assemblies scattered all over the road and ditch as the trailer completely fell apart. I figured one of the auto assembly plants in our region probably had to shut down for a couple days due to a lack of engines and they would have to wait for the next supply of engines to arrive from the US. As said, it works great when things go as expected, but when it goes bad it can be really bad.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:11 AM

Received 1,226 Likes on 941 Posts

Long Beach Grand Prix. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday - all day all three days. I've been to all 46 of them since 1975, this will be 47. Anne Marie's missed 2. We have the best seats in the house: top row, aisle seats, Grandstand 29, just past the Acura Bridge, near the start-finish line, across from the pits, where the IndyCars and IMSA prototypes are hitting near 200 mph. Tailgating/parking in Marina Parking just behind our seats with Anne Marie's Acura MDX and a USC easy up, chairs, coolers, the whole 9 yards. GTD Pro Corvettes in IMSA race. Also historic IMSA Prototypes from late 80s early 90s and off road desert trucks that hit jumps and fly through the air. We get to visit with about 50 of our friends that we tailgate with and only see once a year for three days. They come from as far away as Houiston, Northern California, and Santa Barbara. We're also right across the road from the Corvette Corral -- many of my Corvette Forum buddies from across the country -- 150 Corvettes of all ages and colors .We start every morning at 8 with breakfast: King Taco all meat carne asada burritos with cilantro and onions and lots of spicy salsa verde. I've been really looking forward to this long weekend for months. We leave the house at 6, get there by 7, and set up the easy up, chairs, and cooler.

Last edited by The Raptor; 04-08-2022 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:08 AM

Received 5,332 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Rap, that's a great tradition. 47 years. Wow.

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?