S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?

Old 06-26-2020, 04:03 AM

Received 4,010 Likes on 3,156 Posts

I'm headed out shortly to hopefully finish up the weeding project I started at work. looks like it is going to be a nice day. My cousins are up in Vt a little north of me visiting their son so I am hoping to meet up with them at some point. I may Lexol the seats in my S and also do some weedwacking at home if I get a chance and then working Sunday night.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:59 AM

Received 2,969 Likes on 1,714 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
Looks like you still had some fun despite the hurdles you had to overcome Patty. I listen to a show on weekends called the Car Doctor and he always says the first thing you should do when you have a new driver in the house and they are ready to go out solo for the first time is let the air out of one of the tires while the car is in the driveway and tell them they need to figure out how to change the tire before they go anywhere.
Makes a lot of sense...I have never changed a tire. I have a AAA card though a AAA card would not have helped Patty much.

We started weekend early. Dinner outdoors last night. A local restaurant, owned by a guy who has a fleet of fishing vessels. FRESH seafood for sure. We were on the deck overlooking the Fairhaven Bridge (old swing bridge) Perfect summer evening, and got to see a few fishing boats come though the bridge.

Today off to a couple scenic spots in RI for walking and photo taking. All near the ocean. Tomorrow an outdoor class in the AM with a few Y ladies. Not much else planned after that, since we are avoiding the weekend crowds.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:06 AM

Received 5,332 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Makes a lot of sense...
Not to me is doesn't. Changing a tire on the side of the road is dangerous for so many reasons, even if you did one at home in the driveway the circumstances will be totally different in the real world.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:36 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
My plans for last weekend did not include changing a flat tire in the dirt on my 2015 Honda Crosstour but it happened on 6-20-2020.
I saw your post on Crosstour Nation and commented on it over there yesterday, Patty. What I did not mention was the paradox that I had just that morning dropped my Crosstour's spare tire to check the tire pressure which was okay. I did find that it was a lot dirtier in the tire tray that I had expected. It will get a good wash when I next spray the underside with my power washer.

Anyway, as I said over on Crosstour Nation, Well Done! You really kicked-ass on that one.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:58 AM

Received 3,175 Likes on 1,744 Posts

Originally Posted by hecash
I saw your post on Crosstour Nation and commented on it over there yesterday, Patty. What I did not mention was the paradox that I had just that morning dropped my Crosstour's spare tire to check the tire pressure which was okay. I did find that it was a lot dirtier in the tire tray that I had expected. It will get a good wash when I next spray the underside with my power washer.

Anyway, as I said over on Crosstour Nation, Well Done! You really kicked-ass on that one.
Ha! That was you? I saw your friend request but didn't realize who you are on there. Accepted!

And this was excellent advice you gave me over there, Harry:

"You might want to consider keeping a board in your cargo storage bin for such events. I keep a 1"x6"x18" hard pine board so that if I must stop in a soft shoulder to make a change, I can put it under the jack foot to distribute the load of the scissor jack into the soft soils to give me a steady and full lift. I've also used it when I've stopped on the highway to lend a hand to another driver.

Being an old codger, I also had a 1/2" drive socket welded onto the drive end of my scissors jack and I keep an 18" long ratchet in the cargo storage to make the job of jacking the car up a bit easier. The ratchet also comes in handy to crack and remove the lug nuts. They sell such ratchets at Harbor Freight for $20. I also keep a 19mm socket on it to crack lug nuts and raise/lower the spare tire tray."

Last edited by Kyras; 06-26-2020 at 07:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hecash (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
Makes a lot of sense...I have never changed a tire. I have a AAA card though a AAA card would not have helped Patty much.

We started weekend early. Dinner outdoors last night. A local restaurant, owned by a guy who has a fleet of fishing vessels. FRESH seafood for sure. We were on the deck overlooking the Fairhaven Bridge (old swing bridge) Perfect summer evening, and got to see a few fishing boats come though the bridge.

Today off to a couple scenic spots in RI for walking and photo taking. All near the ocean. Tomorrow an outdoor class in the AM with a few Y ladies. Not much else planned after that, since we are avoiding the weekend crowds.

I have AAA but by the time I got someone to come up to Kennedy Meadows I could get it done. Besides, no cellphone service meant I'd have to walk back to my trailer and hope I didn't run out of minutes on my calling card. I do have a landline in the trailer.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by robb
Looks like you still had some fun despite the hurdles you had to overcome Patty. I listen to a show on weekends called the Car Doctor and he always says the first thing you should do when you have a new driver in the house and they are ready to go out solo for the first time is let the air out of one of the tires while the car is in the driveway and tell them they need to figure out how to change the tire before they go anywhere.
I'd rather give them a AAA membership. Of course, it is good to know how to change a tire. When you drive across country there are many times your cellphone doesn't work and you're many miles from a town. Just driving from Colorado to California there are miles between gas stations and times of no cell connections.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:53 AM

Received 1,573 Likes on 829 Posts

I did not realize there was a FB Group for Crosstour owners. Thanks for mentioning it, Harry! Just joined.
hecash (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 08:53 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Ha! That was you? I saw your friend request but didn't realize who you are on there. Accepted!

And this was excellent advice you gave me over there, Harry:

"You might want to consider keeping a board in your cargo storage bin for such events. I keep a 1"x6"x18" hard pine board so that if I must stop in a soft shoulder to make a change, I can put it under the jack foot to distribute the load of the scissor jack into the soft soils to give me a steady and full lift. I've also used it when I've stopped on the highway to lend a hand to another driver.

Being an old codger, I also had a 1/2" drive socket welded onto the drive end of my scissors jack and I keep an 18" long ratchet in the cargo storage to make the job of jacking the car up a bit easier. The ratchet also comes in handy to crack and remove the lug nuts. They sell such ratchets at Harbor Freight for $20. I also keep a 19mm socket on it to crack lug nuts and raise/lower the spare tire tray."
I did forget to mention portable wheel chocks. If you are doing as you did, lifting the front, it's best to have these on both sides of the opposite side rear wheel.

This is the socket welded to the scissors jack that I mentioned. Just plug your extended handle ratchet in and jack it right up.

robb (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 10:15 AM

Received 4,010 Likes on 3,156 Posts

I'd rather give them a AAA membership. Of course, it is good to know how to change a tire. When you drive across country there are many times your cellphone doesn't work and you're many miles from a town. Just driving from Colorado to California there are miles between gas stations and times of no cell connections.
Yes there is no advantage to NOT knowing how to change a tire. AAA and knowing how to change a tire is the way to go. It's a good idea to check the air in the spare tire occasionally and also to make sure your lugnuts aren't overtorqued. And if you have the spare mounted underneath your vehicle make sure the mechanism is working and not all rusted up. I hate those things they are a PITA!

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?