S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend?

Old 10-05-2019, 11:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

Traveling this weekend back to Italy and then on Monday return flight to Houston. Had a great time in Europe.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:28 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,949 Likes on 1,745 Posts

I'm sure it was fantastic. Post some pics when you get back. And some of Billy and Diane's too. Many years ago, I was scheduled to go to Italy with my ex. We were going to stay at La Sirenuse in Positano. But I was about to separate from him and decided it was not good timing, so didn't happen. Would love to go there now!
Old 10-06-2019, 05:31 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,006 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
I'm sure it was fantastic. Post some pics when you get back. And some of Billy and Diane's too. Many years ago, I was scheduled to go to Italy with my ex. We were going to stay at La Sirenuse in Positano. But I was about to separate from him and decided it was not good timing, so didn't happen. Would love to go there now!
And, I bet that Vito would love to go to Italy with you, too.

Has he been to Italy before?
Old 10-06-2019, 05:45 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,949 Likes on 1,745 Posts

^ He has been to some places when he was active duty Navy. I have been to Naples and Capri, and many years ago with my family to northern Italy. His mother's side of the family is from Naples and his father's from a little town in the mountains. I've been stuck on river cruises lately, but will plan a trip at some point. There is an artichoke festival in Sicily I would love to go to.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:47 PM

Received 818 Likes on 423 Posts

Went down to the new house over the weekend so the kids could have a look around. Sadly the car hoist is gone, but I did get the chance to measure up the garages - we'll be fitting automatic doors on one but the gap is 27 feet wide by 8ft 2in high so we'll split that into a 2+1 door. I'm taking the next couple of weeks off so we can move in and I can get stuck into pulling things down/putting things up/injuring myself.

First up will likely be replacing the roller doors in the main garage (which is about 1,000sq.ft) with some temporary glass doors so it can be used as a games room, then putting the roller doors into a temporary wall I'll be building to enclose the opening in the third garage (about 600sq.ft, same as the "car" garage) to make a workshop. All that should give us a secure building for cars, tools and shenanigans.

Then I can turn my attention to the main house.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:58 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

^^^
Old 10-07-2019, 04:44 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,642 Posts

mowed the low real low yesterday then over-seeded. we had a bad year with crab grass, so getting a start on next year.
the mower is self propelled and 48 wide. that part wasn't bad.

pushing that little heavy-ass 20 inch slice seeder around took forever and was a ton of work.
then Barb spread the lime. over the top.

hopefully it will stay warm enough to germinate with enough rain to keep it wet for growing.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:07 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Hertz Donut
Went down to the new house over the weekend so the kids could have a look around. Sadly the car hoist is gone, but I did get the chance to measure up the garages - we'll be fitting automatic doors on one but the gap is 27 feet wide by 8ft 2in high so we'll split that into a 2+1 door. I'm taking the next couple of weeks off so we can move in and I can get stuck into pulling things down/putting things up/injuring myself.

First up will likely be replacing the roller doors in the main garage (which is about 1,000sq.ft) with some temporary glass doors so it can be used as a games room, then putting the roller doors into a temporary wall I'll be building to enclose the opening in the third garage (about 600sq.ft, same as the "car" garage) to make a workshop. All that should give us a secure building for cars, tools and shenanigans.

Then I can turn my attention to the main house.

Sounds great. Looking forward to pics. Sounds like you live in a free state.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:10 AM

Received 818 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Sounds great. Looking forward to pics. Sounds like you live in a free state.
If you mean with regard to building regulations, they're certainly a lot tighter than they used to be but there's a bit more freedom where we bought because it's classed as a rural property even though it's only 1.5 miles from the centre of town.

I can do a limited amount of plumbing and electrical work myself, and more extensive work provided I can get a licensed contractor to sign off on it. I prefer to stay away from structural work but I'll give pretty much anything a go - the GFC hit us pretty hard so for about 7 years I had no option but to learn. Now I wish I'd taken up a trade when I left school rather than submitting myself to so many years behind a desk.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Hertz Donut
If you mean with regard to building regulations, they're certainly a lot tighter than they used to be but there's a bit more freedom where we bought because it's classed as a rural property even though it's only 1.5 miles from the centre of town.

I can do a limited amount of plumbing and electrical work myself, and more extensive work provided I can get a licensed contractor to sign off on it. I prefer to stay away from structural work but I'll give pretty much anything a go - the GFC hit us pretty hard so for about 7 years I had no option but to learn. Now I wish I'd taken up a trade when I left school rather than submitting myself to so many years behind a desk.

Yes, free to do what you like with your property. I'm sure someone will come along with a comment about how dangerous things used to be and how safe they are now and something about people using phone line wires to run their electricity, but I'm talking about being able to build what you want on your property outside the control of the hive-minded collective. I could not build something with all that garage space in the town where I live without a lot of hearings and variances and non-building expenses.

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend?