S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend?

Old 09-15-2019, 04:04 PM

Received 4,238 Likes on 3,299 Posts

Sounds like all you guys and gals are being productive myself I’m still living “the life of Reilly” here in Florida. Went to the beach this morning and watched the surfers and went in the water and walked along the beach. Then took a ride and went furniture shopping for my Dads new place and we went out to eat at a fish restaurant called the New England eatery. Tomorrow morning my Dads neighbor is taking us out in his boat there is a dock right at my Dads condo so we can leave from here.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:15 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Sounds like a good time. Have fun enjoy Florida.

We're celebrating our 47th anniversary today.

fltsfshr
Old 09-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,642 Posts

on the good news front I trimmed a new cabinet door to replace one that was broken.
once stained it looks perfect.
Re-stained and rehung two other doors. that had pet scratches.
I've been struggling with my new golf practice net frame.
Long poles that require 8 hands 15 feet apart.
SWMBO says it too big for the great room.... we're not done yet.
I love speed rail connectors. but I need to get longer arms or be smarter.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:22 PM

Received 3,767 Likes on 2,658 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
We have had painters here a couple days applying the first coat of exterior paint to the house. I mentioned a couple weeks ago the difficulty I was having getting estimates. Sam Spider gave me a couple leads and we selected the same painter he used. Thanks Sam! They power washed the house and have applied the first coat to two sides. We are happy with our color selection. I used Benjamin Moore's color visualizer to upload pictures and color them in to get an idea what to expect. Maybe I'll post a before and after so Emil will not have to ask. We've been living here for 36 years and have never had a desire to move. The house is right-sized for us, great location, good neighbors, and enough garage space for four cars and a boat. For me the number one factor has always been location, location, location when selecting a house.
Is house painting a common need in your parts , wood siding ? How often would a house need painting ?
Old 09-15-2019, 05:25 PM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Checked out a beautiful wildlife refuge today, on Plum Island in MA. Beautiful beach, which is closed most of the spring/summer for the piping plovers, nice trails on boardwalk, egrets, heron, other birds. A most peaceful place. It was about 1 1/2 hours from home. I didn't get any "keepers" in the photo department today, but I'm OK with that, the place was really worth a trip. I'm able to get closer to wading birds, in the areas I frequent near our home.
This picture was amusing to me. I see a bird I start shooting pics. I wonder if I'm in their pic??
Old 09-15-2019, 06:04 PM

Received 818 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Yes, Matt, before and after pics of your renovations would be interesting to see.
I'll try to remember, but no promises when that will be as we don't move in until next month and it'll mainly be just me doing the work, with my wife guest starring every now and then as "Sheetrock Prop #2".
Old 09-15-2019, 08:25 PM

Received 5,746 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Is house painting a common need in your parts , wood siding ? How often would a house need painting ?
Ours was constructed of wide aluminum siding in 1967. I'm told aluminum is pretty expensive these days. Ours is darn near indestructible even if dated, so I would never think of replacing it. Today siding that isn't wood, brick or stone is generally vinyl. We had our house painted over three decades ago (really) so we got our money's worth. Sadly, the original owners did not have the soffit and fascia aluminum wrapped (I'm sure to save costs). Being wood trim that portion of the house shows its age every half-dozen years and needs repainted. I priced having the trim wrapped and quotes were three times the price of having the entire house painted. My quess is a typical wood house in MI is probably good for 10-12 years if done right. Location, exposure, brand of paint, etc. are all factors.

Last edited by dlq04; 09-15-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:27 PM

Received 5,746 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Lainey, when I first glanced at the picture I thought he was shooting the bird with a rifle.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:21 AM

Received 3,767 Likes on 2,658 Posts

Ours was constructed of wide aluminum siding in 1967. I'm told aluminum is pretty expensive these days. Ours is darn near indestructible even if dated, so I would never think of replacing it. Today siding that isn't wood, brick or stone is generally vinyl. We had our house painted over three decades ago (really) so we got our money's worth. Sadly, the original owners did not have the soffit and fascia aluminum wrapped (I'm sure to save costs). Being wood trim that portion of the house shows its age every half-dozen years and needs repainted. I priced having the trim wrapped and quotes were three times the price of having the entire house painted. My quess is a typical wood house in MI is probably good for 10-12 years if done right. Location, exposure, brand of paint, etc. are all factors.
ah I understand, very interesting. You did get your moneys' worth on the last painting for sure.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:02 AM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

We have had painters here a couple days applying the first coat of exterior paint to the house. I mentioned a couple weeks ago the difficulty I was having getting estimates. Sam Spider gave me a couple leads and we selected the same painter he used. Thanks Sam! They power washed the house and have applied the first coat to two sides. We are happy with our color selection. I used Benjamin Moore's color visualizer to upload pictures and color them in to get an idea what to expect. Maybe I'll post a before and after so Emil will not have to ask. We've been living here for 36 years and have never had a desire to move. The house is right-sized for us, great location, good neighbors, and enough garage space for four cars and a boat. For me the number one factor has always been location, location, location when selecting a house.

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend?