S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend?

Old 08-04-2017, 05:49 PM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
We have them in MI too. I never really understood the fascination with them. Here's one of the MI ones

But, these are the kind I grew up with where you could see right through the bottom and they were way longer. In fact, I walked across it ever single day (twice) going & coming from school.

I'm guessing it's the part of history covered bridges represent. The by gone days...they are quaint. We are heading home tomorrow. We may see a couple more on the route we have planned. Today in our travels I spotted an old car in a Triump motorcycle repair shop. We stopped in. It was a 1938 Graham...like the cracker....The man in the shop was about our age, he said the car was his Dad's and as far as he knew his Dad drove the car home from Detroit. His Dad planned on opening a Graham dealership.Are any of you familiar with that vehicle? I snapped a few lousy pics...I'll see if any are shareworthy...
Old 08-04-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 5,746 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Can't say I know anything about a Graham, except they are always putting their nose where its not wanted.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:10 PM

Received 5,746 Likes on 3,385 Posts

I'm off to a vintage sports car race on Saturday. This is the kinda $hit I love. A vintage racing buddy is going with me and we are meeting up with half-a-dozen other nut cases to enjoy the event. We've been going so long they give us (our cars) a car coral in the absolute best viewing spot over the interior track. The featured car is the 356 "bathtub" Porsche and the featured driver is a guy that I've watched kick butt with a bathtub dozens of weekends years past. Should be fun.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Can't say I know anything about a Graham, except they are always putting their nose where its not wanted.
Too crowded to get a decent shot...here's the grill and the rear widow...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham-Paige
Old 08-05-2017, 03:18 AM

Received 1,284 Likes on 989 Posts

Getting the big scope and long telephoto out for final dry runs before the eclipse. Monday is a full moon. Tomorrow is close enough. A full moon is approximately the same brightness as a total solar eclipse. I've got to change shutter speeds and activate the infrared remote shutter release several times (bracketing) quickly under low light conditions. Also, I'll shoot the sun with the #5 neutral density filter (which cuts the light down to 1/100,000th) and repeat the bracketing procedure above.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I’ve been doing the same. I’m particularly anxious over capturing the “diamond-ring”, “Baily’s Beads”, and the Prominences - not to mention multiple corona exposures. I’ll need to quickly change lenses, remove filters, and adjust exposures during a very short time frame. Oh, and I’ll probably will need to realign the the cameras after tweaking them.

I have no sighting aids other than an articulated live-view screens.

Gary
Old 08-05-2017, 08:14 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Hey, you guys. Don't forget to don your glasses and look up for a few seconds during totality. Once in a lifetime view. Pics should be amazing but real life is, too.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by skunkworks
I’ve been doing the same. I’m particularly anxious over capturing the “diamond-ring”, “Baily’s Beads”, and the Prominences - not to mention multiple corona exposures. I’ll need to quickly change lenses, remove filters, and adjust exposures during a very short time frame. Oh, and I’ll probably will need to realign the the cameras after tweaking them.

I have no sighting aids other than an articulated live-view screens.

Gary
Yeah, it's going to be a challenge. This will be my first time shooting an eclipse with a long telephoto mounted piggyback on my 8" Meade LX200. The scope, telephoto, and finder scope will all have #5 ND filters, as will my Celestron C90 and finder scope and 9x63 binocs. My past experience says shoot Bailey's Beads and the prominences with faster shutter speeds. The slower shutter speeds wash out the prominences but make the corona larger. A photo sequence with both is what I'm after.

Last edited by The Raptor; 08-05-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by tof
Hey, you guys. Don't forget to don your glasses and look up for a few seconds during totality. Once in a lifetime view. Pics should be amazing but real life is, too.
Glasses? I'm talking looking through an 8" telescope with a #5 neutral density filter as well as shooting.

Last edited by The Raptor; 08-05-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I’m really going to need my wife’s help. There are such things a equipment storage and retrieval (such as filters), adjusting shade for the two of us, cooler refreshments, taking photos of the masses of photographers and her free lance images. She and her images may be the better of the two of us. She IS very good.

Gary

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend?