S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What makes a meet great? Part V

Old 10-11-2005, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04,Oct 10 2005, 12:43 PM
BTW, I am looking for a new camera - see my new thread in Vintage - and if you have any suggestions, please add.
Well, I'm not sure what your requirements for a new camera is... But I personally use a Nikon D70. (A digital SLR camera).

EDIT : I just looked at your post in the vintage forum. I was suggesting looking at the Nikon Coolpix for a point and shoot.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Oct 10 2005, 01:16 PM
Your pics are great.

We enjoyed meeting you and your brother.

When posting my pics, I resize which I know takes away some of the clairty. How do you post yours to look so great. Or is your camera and your photography just really good??
Thanks for the complement.

As for resizing, I think you have to use the right software. There are software that allows you to resize while keeping a majority of the image data. The pics you see have been resized down to 30% or its original size. You should see what the original pics looks like! The software I use is Irfan View (www.irfanview.com).

I also do a little bit of post-processing to the pictures. I adjust contrast, brightness, saturation, and sharpening.

But yes, you are right, it helps to have a good camera to begin with. And skill and experience is a definite plus (I've been an amateur photographer for about 10 years).

The equipment I use is a Nikon D70. It's a digital SLR camera, so it's not a small camera that you can fit in a pocket.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by matt_inva,Oct 10 2005, 06:53 PM
John,

that your pictures are OUTSTANDING! I also agree with the comment that there is the talent (in the eye of the photographer) that weighs into the equation, not just the hard ware. In the same way that a talented driver can drive the wheels off of a bad race car and make it do magic. When most mortals, probably could NOT get a CART or F1 out of the pits and complete one lap without stalling it, spinning out or crashing it. The people with talent, make it look easy.

It was nice meeting you and your brother Jeff.

P.S. I LOVED the picture of my car with the rocks as a back drop during the top down stop along the side of the road. As well as the rushing water "fall calendar quality" shot at the ski lift.
Hi Matt, thanks!

I've learned the "eye of the photographer" by looking at others' pictures, and just taking lots and lots of pictures. (Lots of trial and error).

I like the pic of your car with the rocks in the back too. There was something about Suzuka Blue and those rocks. Makes a great color combo!
Old 10-11-2005, 04:41 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PAS2KNut,Oct 9 2005, 11:21 PM
How do you spell vintage? BLUE

I've never seen so many Suzuka Blue in one place.
Tell me about it, Jim!

Glad everyone had a great(and safe) time!
Old 10-11-2005, 04:42 AM

Received 3,214 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by diskoe,Oct 11 2005, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the complement.

As for resizing, I think you have to use the right software. There are software that allows you to resize while keeping a majority of the image data. The pics you see have been resized down to 30% or its original size. You should see what the original pics looks like! The software I use is Irfan View (www.irfanview.com).

I also do a little bit of post-processing to the pictures. I adjust contrast, brightness, saturation, and sharpening.

But yes, you are right, it helps to have a good camera to begin with. And skill and experience is a definite plus (I've been an amateur photographer for about 10 years).

The equipment I use is a Nikon D70. It's a digital SLR camera, so it's not a small camera that you can fit in a pocket.
I've used Irfanview as well. Right now I've been resizing with another program that does it a bit quicker. I also like to use a camera that fits in my pocket or my purse. So I think therein lies some of the problem.

I also don't have a "photographer's eye". Rick often composes a picture way better than I. He was into the photography a long time ago, so he'll pass along some hints to me. I simply point and shoot, and hope for the best.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:47 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Debs, Rob, thanks for the clarification(s) on the SF planning. Those locations sound great. I just think it's a wee bit early to be committing anything for SF07. What if Patty wants us to head out to California?? How about if Colin plans something in Oahu!!! (tell me you wouldn't do that!!! )

(oh, Matt, BTW I too was completely lost by your posts )
Old 10-11-2005, 06:10 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Oct 11 2005, 04:09 AM
Hey - Happy S2ki Anniversary to Jonas and Jim!!
Hi Deb!
Congratulations, Jonas and Jim! You guys are ooold timers!

I'm looking forward to my 2nd Birthday on Thursday, the 13th.

Lainey and Diskoe, thanks for the tips on resizing software. I'm still looking for a program that's easy to use. I'm going to try these... I don't really think I could justify an expensive software program like Photoshop CS -- maybe Elements? I'd like to find a good review that compares the various software that is available.
Back to topic
Old 10-11-2005, 06:18 AM

Received 3,214 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by S1997,Oct 11 2005, 10:10 AM
Hi Deb!
Congratulations, Jonas and Jim! You guys are ooold timers!

I'm looking forward to my 2nd Birthday on Thursday, the 13th.

Lainey and Diskoe, thanks for the tips on resizing software. I'm still looking for a program that's easy to use. I'm going to try these... I don't really think I could justify an expensive software program like Photoshop CS -- maybe Elements? I'd like to find a good review that compares the various software that is available.
Back to topic
Jim,

PM sent on picture resizing program.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:45 AM

Awwww man, looks like I missed another great and wonderful time with the gang. (Next year, ya'll.) I'm sitting here with a smile on my face after going through the thread and laughing along with everybody's input. Talk about your vicarious pleasure. Thanks for the great pics and trip reports everybody. Matt crying WAS priceless (where was the Pix?). Good to see some of the old gang and I can't wait to meet the new faces I saw there. Now for a few questions for someone/anyone to answer/explain.

I noticed everyone was looking up. Did someone go through the trouble to project the words on a screen? If so, who? The singing shots were priceless too, I almost cried too, just looking. I would have given my right arm to see Lainey's Rick in action.

I forgot the second question but I'll be back. Thanks for the shots, it was almost as good as being there. My lil' Tupp looked like he was having a good time with his cute lil self. Glad you made it in spite of, Tuppy. Laaaaainey!

Edit: Just thought of the second question. Could someone please explain the "uh-huh" reference. Inquiring minds want to know. Y'all are just too funny. Val's Betty Boop was priceless too.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:03 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,531 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Granny,

There were two TV screens with the words to the songs (sometimes) up above the back of the bar. That's why people were looking up.

The Uh Huh, was something Lainey's Rick, was "singing". There was a song that had words on the screen, and I don't know if anyone knew the tune. Rick started in a very low voice, reading/singing the words and it was hilarious. Part of the words included the Uh Huh, but he did it as an almost painful sounding, groan, and made us laugh very hard.

Quick Reply: What makes a meet great? Part V