S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What makes a meet great?

Old 08-22-2004, 05:43 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,951 Likes on 1,746 Posts

^ Very well said, Rob!
Old 08-24-2004, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stop it, Rob, you're bringing tears to ol' granny's eyes.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:02 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

A great meet requires attendance. I know, you all think I'm making a bad joke, but I'm not. You need a critical mass to make a meet "great." Getting those people requires a tremendous amount of work. You have to plan something that is interesting to get people to set aside their valuable weekends. That requires a lot of thought. Once you have the great idea, you have to sweat all the little details. Then you have to market the heck out of it. You want folks to read about what you have planned and say "I just can't miss that!" Then you have to start building anticipation and advertising attendance so that fence sitters decide to go rather than do something else. Once you get all the bodies there, then Robs post above kicks in and everyone has a great time. I've thrown three meets now and I can tell you, they each went better than the last because I learned you have to have something interesting and you can't be shy about getting the people out. Look at Fall Colors. It fits my description perfectly. And all the hype about it is infectious. Many of you are posting threads about it, helping Rick get the attendance up. And its working too.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:12 AM

Yep, I'm sure Rick is gonna pay me for advertising, out here begging folks to come, offering to pay their way, shipping their cars in, picking them up, etc., yep.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:34 PM

Great meets have more than one person whose car is completely stock. I've only been to a couple, and felt like an outsider at each of them. I have no interest in adding titanium exhausts or neon lights or carbon fiber hoods that just barely offset the weight of those dual 15" subs, but this tends to be a big focus of some meets and of "S2000 culture" in general.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:22 PM

Received 511 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by grannyrod,Aug 20 2004, 07:00 AM
Oh I agree 100% that it's the people (young and old) who make all the meets great. For the ones who've met before, it's like a family reunion; for the new ones it's like finding long-lost family. Why else would we drive hundreds of miles to be with our new family? Someone once said we can drive our cars anywhere, anytime if we just wanted to drive. It's the camaraderie that does it as far as I'm concerned. And I think I've said this before, there's nothing more beautiful than seeing all the cars going around curves in Matt's famous 2-second formation, or lined up nicely, and the pictures will bear me out on this.

The reason I think Carmen's was the best I've attended so far is because he invited us into his personal space, his lovely home, and we had a little "hoe down" before the drive the next day (not to mention the great food). It really was like old home week and he and Suzanne were the perfect hosts. That took a little extra work and even though he was dead tired, he hung in there like a champ (sounds like I'm trying to get invited back here, so let me stop).

I think it was you, Rob, who once summed it up quite nicely when you said the car brought us together but the people keep us together (or something like that). Spring Fling 04 should be even greater because we know a lot more people and the new ones sound like they'll fit right in too. Which reminds me of that song, "We are fa-mi-ly, I've got all my "roadsters" with me...." Don't get me started this morning.
GrannyRod ,

You about hit the nail on the head. BTW, thanks for mentioning my comment about our drives where everyone is spaced following the two second rule that makes it a pleasure to drive with others that take driving seriously. (Cup holders R not Us)

I also agree with the comment that Rob made: It is the car that brings us together and the people that keeps us together.

Last Monday, Plant Pixie and I met some friends for drinks after they played a round of golf at a golf course close to our house. On the way out of the restaurant we ran across a couple that were getting out of their (new to them) 2002 Silverstone. We approached them, and explained that we owned the Suzuka parked at the end of the row. They looked at us as if we had three heads and I gave them one of my calling cards. I suggested that the site was VERY informative with CRITICAL information that he needed to know. (I.E like the lack of stick with the S-02's below 50*F) As far as I know, because he has not PM'd me he has not signed on.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by matt_inva,Aug 27 2004, 10:22 PM

Last Monday, Plant Pixie and I met some friends for drinks after they played a round of golf at a golf course close to our house. On the way out of the restaurant we ran across a couple that were getting out of their (new to them) 2002 Silverstone. We approached them, and explained that we owned the Suzuka parked at the end of the row. They looked at us as if we had three heads and I gave them one of my calling cards. I suggested that the site was VERY informative with CRITICAL information that he needed to know. (I.E like the lack of stick with the S-02's below 50*F) As far as I know, because he has not PM'd me he has not signed on.
Matt

I would be willing to bet that a great many of the people who buy the S2000 don't really know or understand what they are buying. I'd bet that a great many people buy it because it's "cute" a "convertable" or "a small Honda".

In the 5 years since it's introduction there have probably been about 35,000 S2000s sold in America. There are about 31,000 registered users on S2KI and probably only 1/2 actually own the car. That means that about 16,000 cars are owned by people who have never visited this site.

Lately I find that when I see another S on the road and give the "V" sign I only get a response about 1/2 of the time. Don't be surprised if the couple that you gave the card to never signs on.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think they know that Matt is the "TK" (thread killer) so they aren't sure whether they should sign up or not.