S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What makes a meet great?

Old 08-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,158 Posts
Default What makes a meet great?

This year I have attended some excellent meets. The Ohio Buckeye Vintage meet, hosted by OhioRacer and the other members of the Ohio group was possibly the best meet I've ever attended. The Carlisle, PA meet, hosted by Paul (Vtec4-2) was a close second and also an excellent meet. Rick's Vintage Spring Fling was a lot of fun, and Fall Colors was in a class by itself.

I've been thinking about these meets, and trying to figure out what makes a meet great. All of the meets had great drives and I think that is a contributing factor, but I think it is much more than that.

I also think that the hosts of each meet worked very hard to put the meets together. OhioRacer, Paul and Rick are unbelievable organizers, and thought things through to the last detail. They created the environment for the meet. There is no question that their work helped to make the meets, but I think it is more than that too.

I think it is the people who attend, and how they relate to each other. Three of the four above mentioned meets were Vintage meets, and they were gatherings of old friends, people who really get along and like each other. The fourth meet, Carlisle, PA, had a number of Vints and everyone seemed to enjoy being with one another. Remarkably, even the new attendees, those who were at the meets for the first time, quickly became old friends, and fit right in. Maybe when a group of people want to get together and want to enjoy each other's company, everything comes together.

I think its the chemistry that happens when old (time not age) friends and new friends get together. What do you think?
Old 08-20-2004, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup - all that ..... and the beer.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:00 AM

Oh I agree 100% that it's the people (young and old) who make all the meets great. For the ones who've met before, it's like a family reunion; for the new ones it's like finding long-lost family. Why else would we drive hundreds of miles to be with our new family? Someone once said we can drive our cars anywhere, anytime if we just wanted to drive. It's the camaraderie that does it as far as I'm concerned. And I think I've said this before, there's nothing more beautiful than seeing all the cars going around curves in Matt's famous 2-second formation, or lined up nicely, and the pictures will bear me out on this.

The reason I think Carmen's was the best I've attended so far is because he invited us into his personal space, his lovely home, and we had a little "hoe down" before the drive the next day (not to mention the great food). It really was like old home week and he and Suzanne were the perfect hosts. That took a little extra work and even though he was dead tired, he hung in there like a champ (sounds like I'm trying to get invited back here, so let me stop).

I think it was you, Rob, who once summed it up quite nicely when you said the car brought us together but the people keep us together (or something like that). Spring Fling 04 should be even greater because we know a lot more people and the new ones sound like they'll fit right in too. Which reminds me of that song, "We are fa-mi-ly, I've got all my "roadsters" with me...." Don't get me started this morning.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by rjosey8385,Aug 20 2004, 05:55 AM
Yup - all that ..... and the beer.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the beer. Thanks rjosey, how could I ever forget that!
Old 08-20-2004, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by ralper,Aug 19 2004, 11:24 PM
I think its the chemistry that happens when old (time not age) friends and new friends get together. What do you think?
I wouldn't know. I've never been to one because you're all too far away.

Dean
Old 08-20-2004, 05:00 AM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

I think it's the comraderie.

In our area no one has hosted a full weekend meet, but wedo have drives etc.
We are lucky enough to have 2 very active folks who have run a number of events.

Paulieblks2k runs the Long Wood Gardens runs about every 4-6 weeks. Somtimes you get a lot of folks and sometimes not, but Paulie spends a fair amount of time over the year helping tht ecommunity (he also has worked on the last three FCTs).

We also have Mikes2k who has organized a large showing at the HIN philadelphia shows that last two years. This is quite an logistical undertaking with organizing ~20 cars and owners and the group has won best club awards in both shows!

I host a Mid-Winter Gathering every year (this year will be the fifth) and we usually have 15 to 20 owners, but it's certainly not like the big events.

I have great respect for the folks that do the big meets, but the small regional events also help to keep the community active.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:05 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Zippy,Aug 20 2004, 09:00 AM
I have great respect for the folks that do the big meets, but the small regional events also help to keep the community active.
I agree, absolutely. The smaller regional meets give everyone a chance to "check in" and get together. I think that they are just as important and just as enjoyable as the big meets.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:04 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

I've never been to a meet that I didn't enjoy and there have been different folks and different types of folks at every one. We probably enjoyed Carmen's Buckeye meet better than any we've ever attended because we got to see old friends, meet new friends and it was a very happy time for everyone (sort of like a family reunion of sorts). I must agree with the Rob's "chemistry" statement, but there is simply something about the personalities of those who enjoy the S2000 that makes it click. I just every one of you, never feel any pressure to be anything other than just me (a simpleton by comparison to many of you), and yet I feel accepted. This club rocks.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:43 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by valentine,Aug 20 2004, 11:04 AM
(a simpleton by comparison to many of you)
A simpleton my eye (I'd use another part of the anatomy if I didn't have more respect for the Vintage Forum). There are no simpletons among us. Each and every one of us brings something special to the party. Thats what makes the Vintage mix so good. There are no simpletons here, but that's a topic for another thread.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:07 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

First I must thank everyone for the kind words on the Ohio Vintage Buckeye Run. We had a blast. I agree with the prevailing view here that a great meet is made great because of the people. The people who organize and plan it...and the people who attend it. The organizers need to plan an event to include activities with the car, but also ample time for bonding amongst the attendees. It must also be well organized. Most people hate disorganization. It's all about setting expectations and delivering on those expectations. Just like anything else in life.

You must also have attendees who bring a smile and bring something to the table in the way of their personality, which is a gift given to others. Attendees must also bring an attitude of "giving"...as in sharing your quart of oil...or your car wash stuff. Or your extra FRS radio. Maybe some batteries.

Lastly, the best meets seem to be the ones where people accept who others are, regardless of how many letters are after their name, how big or small their bank account is, etc. There is a certain sense of equality. Maybe it's because we all have the same car and we feel equal, I dunno. Anyway, that's my .02 for what it's worth.

Quick Reply: What makes a meet great?