S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What made you buy your S2000?

Old 09-25-2006, 04:21 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

^ Aw, thanks Val. You are a sweetie.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy
The first dealer was a nightmare, they even laid down behind the car to stop me from leaving...
Oh, man! You mean you missed the chance to rid the world of an obnoxious car salesman or two by being nice?

But I guess the paperwork would have been a real hassle. HPH
Old 09-25-2006, 04:25 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,139 Likes on 770 Posts

I bought a Miata after a period of owning practical cars. I liked the Miata but it didn't really have the power and handling I was used to. I took the Miata for service one day and the Service Mgr at my favorite dealership said to look at the S2000 that they were going to take in trade. I looked and bought it the same day. Such a nice dealership, they gave me more for the Miata than I paid to trade it. Even with the lack of torque, the S2k is a fun car to drive and it handles well.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:37 AM

The main reason I purchased an S2k is because the car is like my wife beautiful with the right curves, reliable and when I feel like it I can go topless
Old 09-25-2006, 04:44 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 823 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076,Sep 25 2006, 07:25 AM
Even with the lack of torque, the S2k is a fun car to drive and it handles well.
And after all these years, I thought the torque wars were over.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With 4 boys, a wife and a Mortgage, I know that it would be a long time befoe I ever got the cahnce to own something remotely exotic, or at least different from the Mommy-Mini vans and the beater pick up trucks that I drive daily. But eventually, we found a convertible 1978 Fiat Spyder. After owning a couple of the BMW 2002's back in the '70's, I know that I would have to get back into something sporty some day. So thought that the Fiat would satisfy my desire for a weekend sports car. It did, for a while.

Then when the new Coopers were coming over, I knew that I had to have one. Sold the 4WD Truck, the Fiat and robbed the piggy bank. I was the 7th person to get one of the new Coopers here in Florida and life was grand. Then the mod thing started to hit me. CAI, exhaust, Wheels, tires, springs, graphics, subs, chips, etc. No matter what I did, it was never enough. And while I like the dual moonroof, it was just not the same as a full blown convertible, espicially when doing the NC roads and the Dragon. So, when the new convertible Cooper S arrived, I convinced Danae to go down with and to bring the checkbook. We were all set to trade that day. But after all the anxiety and glitter of the monent arrived, the purchasing part robbed me of the ecstacy. With just a few upgrades, we had hit $31K and finally the sanity check brain cells kicked in!!

I told Danae' lets got get a beer (Hopper's Pub Microbrewery) and take a long hard look at what we were getting ready to do. Thank God. I had already started talking about all of the "mods" that I was gonna' do tro this new Cooper to make it faster. Then I realized that I would never be able to get it to beat the stock S2000 that I still seemed to drool over every time I saw one. So, we walked away, test drove the S2000 and that was that. We flew up to Trenton NJ from Tampa, picked up a 2003 with 5800 miles and already Supercharged!! No regrets, as you can tell by the purchase 2 months back of the new '06 when we trashed the '03 by collision with some trees going down the mountain in NC.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:50 AM

I had a 280ZX, and an MR2 that fueled my desire for a sports car. When Honda came out with the S2000 it was only a matter of time. My wife couldn't drag my drooling body away from the S2000 at the auto show. When her Tercel died which I was sick of driving , I got the go-ahead. It has become our favorite commuter car, since it gets the best gas mileage.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:24 AM

I had a 1974 BMW 2002 TII that was heavily modded that I used to auto-x. It got to the point that to take it to the next level was going to cost serious money (engine, transmission, paint, etc.) and the most you could get out of a streetable 2002 TII engine was about 160 hp.

Then we had a child and auto-xing fell by the wayside and the BMW sat in the garage only being driven occasionally. So I sold it (Ahh the last vestige of youth).

Anyway, several years later, I was bound and determined to get a sports car again, and my wife (bless her soul) absolutely insisted that it had to be a convertible.

Well, I am tall (6'3") and so we went on our quest to find a car I could fit in. We looked at the Boxster (no go), Audi TT (too cute), Vette, Mustang (what a piece of plastic crap that was), and BMW Z3. We even looked at the Volvo C60 convertible.

I had read reviews of the Honda S2000, but figured that the chance of fitting into a Japanese car was next to nil. Anyway, I was on the verge of giving up, and just telling my wife to get whatever she wanted, and I was just going to be relegated to driving big European sedans, or trucks, when I read a review on-line where the reviewer was effusive about the S2000, but at the end of the article said that he was 6'4" and he fit in the car.

The next day, my wife and I went to the local Honda dealer. He had two on the lot, a Silverstone and a Berlina. Lo and behold, I did fit (barely), and after driving the little screamer (and almost giving the salesman a heart attack). We left the dealership, and went right to the BMW dealer to find out about M3 convertibles. I had a friend who was a salesman there. When he told me that I could put $10K down and maybe have a car 9 months later, I walked out and drove back to the Honda dealer and bought the Silverstone.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah good question .I had a 99 miata sports pkg and went to the auto show with Nate03.I was lurking here on the board for some time.
I sat in all the two seaters within reason($). Some i just didn't fit in
and others the style was not for me .The s fit like a glove and had 4 cyl
with impressive hp .After more lurking here went to several dealers
to get the right price on my trade in and the s .I got it. Now with the
s/c and other mods i have a keeper .What i mean is i was always trading in sport cars around 30,000 miles .Well now with 51,000 miles and Billman and my mechanic who needs honda .I'm plan on keeping this car for some time .Have a 05 beater and the wife has a new txs
so there you go .Why i have one and why i'm keeping it as well
Old 09-25-2006, 08:37 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,139 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine,Sep 25 2006, 08:44 AM
And after all these years, I thought the torque wars were over.
Not a torque war, just that in comparison to a lot of cars, the S2000 is pretty far down as torque goes. At 200HP, my car produces 160ft-lb of torque (just before VTEC comes on). That's at 5500 RPM. The crappy Pontiac Solstice with the throwaway cheapie engine has 177hp and 166 ft-lb. Not that it matters because I'm not planning on pulling a plow.

Quick Reply: What made you buy your S2000?