S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What made you buy your S2000?

Old 09-24-2006, 01:42 PM

Received 3,211 Likes on 1,860 Posts

Originally Posted by FILTHY BEAST,Sep 24 2006, 04:59 PM
It had been on my radar screen for awhile then dropped off. I read the
article in Car and Driver, "The Blow Dryers" and the guy saying how much he loved the snick snick of the transmission. I had a dream that
night that i was shifting the tranny, i went buy our local dealer to see
if they had one, they did i drove one, the rest is history.
Rick had an MBG in his younger days. We toyed with the idea of getting a used Miata at one point and tossed it out. Figured we wouldn't use it enough.

Fast forward a few years down the road and Rick got the itch again. It was between, a used Boxter, the BMW and the S. The blow dryer article kind of clinched it for him too.

We bought the S having never driven one, nor had we even had a ride in one. We have never been sorry with our choice and it gets used plenty.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Sep 24 2006, 01:42 PM
We bought the S having never driven one, nor had we even had a ride in one. We have never been sorry with our choice and it gets used plenty.
Same here, Lainey. When I was about to drive mine off the lot at the dealership, I off-handedly said to the salespeople who had gathered around for the send-off "Gee, I hope I like it. I've never even driven one".

They looked at me like I was crazy.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The color. Plain and simple - I fell in love with the Laguna. Driving it was simply icing on the cake.

Dave
Old 09-24-2006, 04:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BMW didn't want to work with me on a used Z3 M Roadster with 24,000 miles on it. They wanted $510 a month with $5,000 down on a three year LEASE. I got mad and left. I ordered my S the next day. Man I am glad BMW didn't want to work with me.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,017 Likes on 2,675 Posts

it passed the first simple test.
I fit. I'm 6'1" but with avery long torso.
all of the other two seaters miata boxster z3 just didn't have the righht proportions.
the focus on performance and simplicity made it right.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had 3 - 93 RX7s and loved them. I took up SCCA autocrossing and it was embarrassing to have Miata's beat my RX7s.

Although I didn't have a comparison at the time I later found out that Dallas SCCA sux. A 30 second course is more the norm. At that time I thought a Miata would be great so I sold my 7s and bought a 99 Miata and it was great on the autocross course.

But it had a few foibles on the street, like space and creature comforts. I'm not talking cup holders I mean things like a serious lack of truck space, interior lighting, interior space and power.

I ordered a Special Edition 2002 Miata online and the total price came up to $32,500, but since I got everything I wanted in a Miata I did it.

When it came in they had changed the interior. The interior now was half tan and half black, the worst color combination you can have.

Rather than complete the deal I thought I'd go check out the S2000s first.

The first dealer was a nightmare, they even laid down behind the car to stop me from leaving, but I was bitten with the bug. It seemed as if Honda had taken the Miata and used it as the template for the S. They addressed every issue I had with the Miata.

Since I was changing cars totally I thought it only fair to shop some of the other competition. The Z4 Bimmers were for little old ladies. The suspension felt like it was made of rubber bands and the M3 wasn't nearly as much fun as the magazines had made out.

I drove the Boxster and really, really liked it even tho it felt down on power but for the price I could buy 2 S2000s so I started calling dealers. I called a 7 state region and found the lowest price across town from me.

I ended up paying $500 LESS for my S than I would have for the Miata and I got a 7 year warranty (Hondacare).

I still had my 99 as I had given it to my son so we proceeded to to do every test you could think of before I bought the S. I had heard about the S's lack of torque so I drove it at very low rpms against the Miata in every gear and in every gear the S won below VTEC, of course above VTEC the Miata was left in the dust. That sold me.

Now I no longer lust for my 7s. This the first car that has the balance of handling, power and feel of the 7.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gomarlins3,Sep 24 2006, 07:07 PM
BMW didn't want to work with me on a used Z3 M Roadster with 24,000 miles on it. .....
I was also considering a Z-3...but a new one in late '99....as the lease on my 2.2 CL was ending. I had almost given up on finding an S2000, but God made one appear in the early December '99 Phila Inquirer. I bought my Silverstone '00 at msrp on December 15, 1999

I've never regretted a minute....as shown by my upgrade to an '03 creampuff in mid-2005
Old 09-25-2006, 03:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had wanted a convertible for a long time, and had seriously considered a 1994 Miata, but I had no garage and I worked in an area notorious for car theft, so no Miata.

FFWD to 2005 and my wife's Civic was dying slowly, so I started doing some research. I spent a lot of time on Miata.net, and I really liked the looks of the 10AE special edition. I found a supercharged one for sale and test drove it. I really liked it.

In the meantime, I'd been scouring the magazines in the attic for Miata tests, and just happened to come across a couple of S2000 tests/articles. That brought me to s2ki, and after some research all that was left was to decide which color I liked.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:06 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

I went looking for a Jaguar XJS convertible (always loved the car's looks) but the Mercedes dealer that had gotten it on trade was closed (on a Sunday). I went down the road to the Jaguar dealer, who couldn't get me a convertible (very hard to find). I saw my first S sitting in the used car lot between the Jaguar dealer and the Honda dealer. I liked the looks of it, but knew nothing about the car. It was a 2000 and the dealer didn't even know much about it. I drove it and bought it on the spot. Needless to say, I found out what I had pretty quickly! A year later, I found s2ki.com and the rest is history.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:13 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 823 Likes on 489 Posts

^^LOL. I have to admit one of the reasons I was so quick to join S2ki as a full fledged member was MsPerky. She was a member of the Mid-A group and her posts were so "perky" that I felt it couldn't be a bad place to spend a little time. Later MsP became a moderator of the newly founded Vintage Forum, thanks to Rob and Jerry. MsPerky has been a really active member and has been instrumental in keeping us "perking" along. Thanks, MsP. You've really added a great deal to our little club. kudos to you.

Quick Reply: What made you buy your S2000?