S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What made you buy your S2000?

Old 09-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,160 Posts
Default What made you buy your S2000?

What made you buy your S2000? What was it that made you want to own one?

For me it was the fact that I had owned sports cars in the 70s and 80s, and I had always loved owning and driving them. When we had kids and lived in the city, a sports car simply didn't serve our needs, and there was no room for a second car. In addition, after owning a Triumph TR6 and a Fiat X-1/9, I didn't want another British or Italian car. As the years passed, being stuck on the side of the road stopped being a fun adventure and started being a royal pain in the neck. As I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate owning a car that will get me home at night. I loved my MGs, but I really wanted something a little more reliable. Still, I've wanted another sports car for a number of years.

By the 90s Mazda had introduced the Miata. I was very interested, and I almost bought one, but something held me back. When Honda introduced the S2000, I was sold. Now I could have my sports car and Honda reliability and quality. I'd owned a lot of Accords over the years, and I've always been satisfied. I loved the looks of the S2000, and I loved the way it felt, sitting in it and driving it.

I'm curious. What made you buy yours? What was it that convinced you to buy a Honda S2000?
Old 09-23-2006, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the looks. It was more powerful than a Miata. It was cheaper than a Porsche. It fit in the garage. Most of my friends had ever heard of it before, so it was fun to have something they considered exotic.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:54 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 823 Likes on 489 Posts

I was looking for a convertible and like Ralper had owned a British sports car in the 80s (MG) and had always loved sports cars. I wanted the driving experience again as opposed to just having a transport vehicle. I tried out other cars but was disappointed that they didn't have the "feel" I wanted. I too considered the Miata, but +1 had read about Honda's new little S2000 and thought it may be to my liking, so he suggested I try one out. After only a few blocks down the street I knew it was THE ONE. It took a couple of weeks to locate one for me to buy so in doing research about the car on the computer I found this website. I joined S2ki two days after buying my first S2000 and the rest is history. I've never driven an automobile that I enjoy as much as the Honda S2000.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:30 AM

Received 5,797 Likes on 3,416 Posts

The engine!

My test drive feelings were described best in European Car magazine: "In the end I can tell how much fun a car is by how it makes me drive. In the S2000, I
Old 09-24-2006, 05:55 AM

My current car, a sedan, needed replacing (6 1/2 y.o. 75k miles). I looked around to replace it with another sedan. I found nothing I liked. Everything was very very bland or downright ugly.

I decided that I really didn't need a sedan and I had driven 2 different convertibles as mine own (they where my parents 3rd car). So I looked around at convertibles and someone at work mentioned a S2000. I did some research and found it really offered good value.

A Miata was flat out too small for me and I would never own one.

The Soltice was intereresting looking, but I would never buy a first year model of a car (any brand). The 2007 model year was a long time to wait for car you didn't even know you would like or be reliable.

No 4+ passenger convertible was exciting or affordable or reliable. I guess the only thing out there I might want to try now would be a Mustang convertible, esp if I could get it with the 500hp engine , but then we are not into the affordable part of the equation.

I test drove the S2000 and really liked it. The biggest problem with a small rear-wheel drive car was I would need another vehicle, so that added to the cost. I decided that was ok, because I would keep the car for a very long time as a weekend car after I stopped driving it daily (not during the winter).
Old 09-24-2006, 05:57 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,529 Likes on 1,910 Posts

I wanted the S2000 after seeing it on the Honda showroom floor. I loved the looks and couldn't believe Honda made it. I knew nothing about it but since it was a Honda and I would only be interested if it was a Honda, I was instantly smitten.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:08 AM

One look at the car back in 2000 and I was sold. Pricing, reliability, and performance were all just added bonuses.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:48 AM

I started driving in 63,

All my friends had the muscle cars of the era, gto's mopars, chevelles, and mustangs.

I wanted a sports car, I guess, just to be different. My first car was a 62 MG midget. Unreliable, but fun when it was running, and a great mechanical educational tool.

While my friends were all sucking down gas and burning up tires, I was going sideways. I loved it. Even at 17-18 years old, I seldom envied them and their big engines.

Ever since I've wanted another sports car, but with a family other prioritys came first. Now the kids are on their own, and I'm fortunate enough to have a wife that actually got me the s2k for my birthday.

The Honda was my first choice, Miata a very distant second. We've had at least 10 hondas over the last 20 years..... I'm a believer.

Willinathen
Old 09-24-2006, 08:19 AM

Well, I suppose as much as anything else, this web site.

I was living in Santa Fe, then Los Alamos for a summer, with an STi, so I was used to the "hod rod" thing again (after years in sports sedans), and I discovered I'd be moving ti Florida. Hmm, sez me, what kind of car would be good in Florida. The STi was, for me, a winter performance car, bought for that reason.

After considerable research, the S2000 percolated to the top of the heap in terms of the combination of performance and value I was looking for. HPH
Old 09-24-2006, 12:59 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

It had been on my radar screen for awhile then dropped off. I read the
article in Car and Driver, "The Blow Dryers" and the guy saying how much he loved the snick snick of the transmission. I had a dream that
night that i was shifting the tranny, i went buy our local dealer to see
if they had one, they did i drove one, the rest is history.

Quick Reply: What made you buy your S2000?