S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What do you guys think about this?

Old 09-12-2007, 02:21 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts
Default What do you guys think about this?

I couldn't believe this story. Do you feel this strongly about your favorite team? Football rivalry crossing the line
Old 09-12-2007, 03:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tend to think that this is an alcohol problem more than anything to do with football. With enough juice, people can become violent over butterflies.
Rabid football fans and booze can be combustable though.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never understood sports rivalries. It's just a game. There are more important things in the world to get fired up about.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:01 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by tonybell_57,Sep 13 2007, 12:47 AM
I've never understood sports rivalries. It's just a game. There are more important things in the world to get fired up about.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:34 AM

A 53 yr old man who has nothing more important in his life than bars and football is indeed a sad person. The fact that he would become violent over either is probably a good indication of his personality in general. This is just one more reason that I no longer have any interest in any kind of sport (and as a native Texan I was christened on football and never missed a UT game while there or an Oilers game for too many years).
Old 09-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

I thought sports competition for the masses (football, NASCAR) was supposed to be a peaceful substitute for war - not the war itself!
Old 09-13-2007, 08:54 AM

On the upside I think Mr. Christopher has a bright future singing soprano.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by martha,Sep 13 2007, 08:34 AM
A 53 yr old man who has nothing more important in his life than bars and football is indeed a sad person. The fact that he would become violent over either is probably a good indication of his personality in general. This is just one more reason that I no longer have any interest in any kind of sport (and as a native Texan I was christened on football and never missed a UT game while there or an Oilers game for too many years).
I went to UT back in the Darrell Royal days and was a HUGE Cowboys fan. Going to college and living in the dorm with the athletes was a real eye-opener though.

My dorm room looked into the athletes cafeteria, and the parking lot. The athletes at that time had access to a fleet of orange and white oldsmobiles that just were just for athlete use.

Also the attitude of the athletes in the dorm was intolerable. If one got on the elevator everyone else had to get off - that kind of thing.

Anyway, I lost my interest in football that year, and in the 35 years since, I bet I have seen less than 5 total football games.

I grew up in a football town in central Texas too - the town shut down on Friday nights when the high school football team played.

I'd rather watch auto racing (F1, ALMS, etc.) any day of the week.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:19 AM

Since I'm everything reminds me of a story (remind anyone of their grandparents?). As I'm sure everyone knows, soccer games in the rest of the world can easily turn into riots among the fans. As a result, fans are generally searched prior to entering the stadium and no alcohol is sold. At one time (maybe still?), baseball teams here used to give out souvenirs to fans, i.e. hat day, ball day, bat day, etc. I had two business colleagues who had just moved to NYC, one from Denmark and one from the UK. They decided to go to a Yankees game and it was coincidentally "bat day". They were totally amazed that the team would arm each fan with a baseball bat AND sell them beer! They just speculated what would have happened if that had happened at a Manchester United game.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by raymo19,Sep 13 2007, 12:54 PM
On the upside I think Mr. Christopher has a bright future singing soprano.
I'm ashamed of myself but this one really made me laugh!!! [poor guy]

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about this?