S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What computer/forum "tricks" have you learned

Old 10-15-2006, 03:00 PM

Received 3,191 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Lesson 2

Photobucket.com is the best place, IMHO to host your pics and it's easy to post them here. It takes a while to find your way around, and there are some easy ways to upload pics from the computer to photobucket. Depending on how you upload them, you don't even need to resize them.

This link may help you out Photobucket tutorials

If you need help, send Bass of New England a PM. He was great at helping me out.

Check it out.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484
...I'm not even sure what it is you want to do.
I'm not either, exactly, but I want to know how to do it.

For example, just to the left there, under my login name, it says "Gold Member." Somewhere on the S2KI server, there's a file -- what I was calling my initialization file -- that says to put "Gold Member" into that place on the page when I put up a post. If I could find that file, I could change it to say something like "Gourmet Chef." (Indeed, someone does this, perhaps the computer system itself, to distinguish guests from members from gold members from community organizers, etc.) Not so much here at S2KI, but on other sites I've seen all sorts of amusing (mostly) things wind up there -- and some sites even let you specify what to put there.

By analogy, there are various other things in that file that would be fun to play with. However, I expect that only trusted folks have access to the initialization files, because there are undoubtedly some identifiers in there that have some level of system sensitivity. For example, you're identified as a CO there. Maybe that identification in the initialization file is what gives you access to the various forums that the rest of us mortals don't have access to. (Or, maybe not -- maybe that access is someplace else.)

Mostly, I'm just curious. I guess I should get a vBulletin software manual (that's the software behind lots of other sites, and this one looks similar). HPH
Old 10-15-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I learned how to direct Google to list search hits on only a single site (see the sticky in the S2000 Talk forum). I never knew that before.

Doc, that business about what it says above the stars is only available to administrators to change. You can ask them for something special if you like. COs and Moderators can "nominate" people for special designations...
Old 10-15-2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Oct 15 2006, 08:01 PM
I learned how to direct Google to list search hits on only a single site (see the sticky in the S2000 Talk forum). I never knew that before.

Doc, that business about what it says above the stars is only available to administrators to change. You can ask them for something special if you like. COs and Moderators can "nominate" people for special designations...
Show off!

j/k - How you doin' Chaz? How's things in the noob forum?
Old 10-15-2006, 04:08 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Great, Mike. Thanks! I've got that and S2000 Talk these days. Mostly, I'm spending time in my regional forum though.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,954 Likes on 1,748 Posts

Yeah, that's how Val got to be a Diamond Member. Let me see what special designation I want...
Old 10-15-2006, 07:02 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Oct 15 2006, 07:46 PM
Yeah, that's how Val got to be a Diamond Member. Let me see what special designation I want...
I suggest that all retired CO's who have served honorably should be permitted to name their own title (within reason, of course)

Rob, Chaz, MsP, Legal Bill all richly deserve that privilege
Old 10-17-2006, 03:31 PM

OK, is this lesson three? I've lost count.

Quoting more than one person. Like many things on the computer there are probably ten ways to do this. Dr. C helped me out, I'll try to explain it here. If someone knows an easier way, chime in. I'm not that good at explaining things, though I see someone using more smiley things.

1. Copy and pasting is involved in quoting more than one person.

Let's say you want to quote me.

You start out by typing quote=Lainey8484 put a [ in the front of the word quote and a ] at the end of the name of the person you are quoting. Copy and paste what you want to quote, finish with /quote with the brackets around it, that ends the quote.

For the second person, I want to quote Chazmo, so you type the same thing again.

quote=Chazmo copy and paste /quote (don't forget the brackets)

Example {quote=chazmo} copy paste {/quote} ends the quote. The other brackets are the ones you need to use.

Finished product below

Originally Posted by Chazmo
you have to be sure to use the opening and closing [ ] in the beginning and close it with the /quote If you don't use the brackets and the slash as needed, it won't work.

Any questions?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:58 PM

More on quotes...

"Nested" quotes don't, in my experience, always come out right when you copy/paste from other posts in a given thread. But they're easy to create manually, simply by positioning the opening/closing commands carefully.

Here's an example - and, in the following code, I'm using curly {} brackets for the square [] ones that will produce the finished product. I'm also using separate lines to distinguish things more carefully in the code (unfortunately, indentation doesn't work)

{quote=personA}In Person A's post, Person B said
{quote=personB}something really stupid in response to
{/quote}

{quote=personC}Person C's original post reproduced here that was stimulated by something that
{quote=personD} Person D said in another thread
{/quote}
{/quote}
{/quote}

Note that the number of /quote commands has to equal the number of quote commands, and where they're positioned determines the nesting.

Reproducing that exact block with [] instead of {} everywhere gives this:

Originally Posted by personA
In Person A's post, Person B said
Originally Posted by personB
something really stupid in response to

Originally Posted by personC
Person C's original post reproduced here that was stimulated
by something that
Originally Posted by personD
Person D said in another thread
Now let's see how nutty we can get out there! HPH

Edit to add new smileys to show positioning.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:30 PM

For Dr. C.

Nesting quotes, never thought of those, and now

Quick Reply: What computer/forum "tricks" have you learned