S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What about a yard sale?

Old 09-23-2015 | 03:03 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by PokS2k
We had one once and will never do it again. People arrive early, go places they should be (ie. in my garage), and then try to nickel and dime. I don't have the patience. Had one person pick up a 3 pack of caulk, we had 50 cents on it and he offered a quarter.

Now we give stuff away or put it on the curb and someone will take it.

Jim
We do the same Jim.
Levi

Old 09-23-2015 | 04:32 PM
15 Year Member

While they are a PITA I enjoy doing it. I never price anything. I put up a sign stating "Name you price. If I don't like it you will know". After I retire I expect to have a sale of most of my tools. That will be fun!
Old 09-24-2015 | 02:26 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Another option for furniture, newer appliances/electronics (less than 10 yrs old) and usable building/hardware items at the ReStore retail operation of many Habitat for Humanity affiliates. They will typically pick up at your house and give you a tax receipt for the donation. The resulting funds help your local Habitat build or renovate more homes for the less fortunate in your area. Just search for "ReStore Habitat Boston" or whatever city is nearby.
Old 09-24-2015 | 04:06 PM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by MsPerky
If you are having one to make money, it won't happen. Old things are worth pennies on the dollar, if that, as I found out when I liquidated most of the stuff in my parents' house. You are better off donating things for a deduction or just throwing them out. The liquidators threw out a LOT. I saw them doing some of it and it was a shock. They told me people can get upset when they see how little household stuff is worth.
I agree. We've never had a yard sale, but everyone I know who has had one won't have another. The amount of effort they had to put in for what they got out just wasn't worth the time. And, they didn't manage to get rid of the stuff they were looking to get rid of.

We donate a lot of things to a few local charities but there are some items like furniture that are too big and some like TVs and computers that they just don't want. Our township has a "Big Collection" a few times a year. We find that if we bring the items to the curb a few days before the scheduled "Big Collection" they tend to disappear. We've gotten rid of items like crt monitors, a church pew that we had in our loft, an old dresser and a huge framed mirror that we bought from a second hand store (Milton Pays Cash) when we were living in New York City and much more. I suppose most of these items ended up at flea markets but who cares. Once we were finished with them I'm glad someone could get some use out of them.
Old 09-24-2015 | 04:10 PM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by paS2K
Another option for furniture, newer appliances/electronics (less than 10 yrs old) and usable building/hardware items at the ReStore retail operation of many Habitat for Humanity affiliates. They will typically pick up at your house and give you a tax receipt for the donation. The resulting funds help your local Habitat build or renovate more homes for the less fortunate in your area. Just search for "ReStore Habitat Boston" or whatever city is nearby.
Restore is a great place to donate and purchase from. After my mother passed away we donated some of her silverware and fine china to our local Restore. The only problem with the Restore here in Randolph is that they are so full of furniture, televisions and computers that they don't want to take anymore.
Old 09-25-2015 | 10:13 AM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Time to gripe. [soapbox/on]
I guess I don't mind the occasional ( occasional being defined as once every several years) yard sale by a neighbor to get rid of the accumulated junk you just don't need anymore.
I do take exception to the recurring yard sale.

Rt 117 through Bolton is a fairly popular route and there are those that come through doing the touristy thing.
We have a few folks on the main road that dump their junk out of the front lawn every frickin' weekend.
It looks like absolute $#!^. of course said same touristy types have to slam on the brakes because they might miss a deal.
Saying I hate it is an understatement.

[soapbox/off]