S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Is a vote for Kerry a vote for terrorism?

Old 10-23-2004, 06:11 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by brantshali,Oct 22 2004, 10:55 PM
This being the key. While I admit that the Republican Party (and GWB specifically) is not legally in control of, nor has and directly link to, the Swift Boat Veterans for Something They Pretend Resembles the Truth, I think they could have taken a much stronger stand against such ads.

By that same token, however, I think the Kerry camp has also "allowed" people speaking on their behalf to make some interesting twists of reality.

In short, I'm disappointed at both sides in this "fight", but I can't say I'm surprised that all tools are being used (even dirty ones) in this close race.

And I got nothing to add to it.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:26 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dean,Oct 23 2004, 09:33 AM
I never took the SWB ads seriously when they came out as others did. Whenever "facts" remain hidden for nearly forty years only to be "uncovered" at such an inopportune time for a candidate, my BS meter starts to scream. As for Bush's service record, I really don't care one way or the other. If I had an influential father, I might have done much the same to avoid going to Nam. In either case, I don't see these issues as being relevant.
I have to agree with you and Brant that this is a very ugly campaign. I don't recall even the Johnson-Goldwater campaign being this nasty. Two questions trouble me about the hatred that I've witnessed during this election process, and I don't believe that either has a quick or easy answer:

1. How did we as a country get to this dismal point in the three short years since the great sense of unity and common purpose that we experienced immediately following 9/11?

2. When the election is over, I have no doubt that the loser's concession speech is going to include telling the American public that we must all unite behind the president. How can either one of the candidates expect us to comply when such abysmal examples have been set for us?

Dean
Good points Dean. The LB analysis is this.

1. The Dems are coming at this from the election of 2000 which they believe was stolen from them. (a debateable point which I think I understand)

2. All that unified us since then was a terrorist attack, not a very positive thing.

3. Bush is not particularly moderate and is an easy target of the Dem's more liberal and vocal and active members. I guess what I mean is, George is an easy symbol for those inclined to organize and march to rally against.

4. The Repubs have the presidency, congress and some would argue, the Supreme Court. The Dems must take a branch of government or two or be relegated to the role of spoiler which is a pretty crappy position to be in. I think when things are this bleak for your party, you will do whatever you can to get back into it.

5. The Repubs' Carl Rove is a genius who has no trouble smearing people. I'm not saying the Dems are any better, but they just ain't as good at it as Rove. So in response, they do some dumb things out of frustration.

6. Iraq is a debateable war and fair game for the Dems to question Bush on. But Kerry was the wrong candidate for that approach. If that was what the Dems wanted to run on, then Howard Dean was your man. You can't blame the Repubs if the dems used the wrong messenger to try to deliver the message and the Repubs make hay out of it.

7. The service records issue is an outfall of all of the above. Both sides tried it and, in my opinion, wasted all of our time on an irrelevant issue.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truer words...