S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vote

Old 11-03-2004, 07:00 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Nov 3 2004, 10:14 AM
Only if the Repubs get drunk with power, put up an extreme rightwinger, and force the public to make a bad choice. If the Repubs have the smarts to put up a centrist like McCain Hillary will get Massachusetts.
If they put up McCain, I don't think she'll even carry Mass. McCain is the "Golden Boy" of the party. He can do no wrong these days.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:07 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Sorry Chaz you're right I apologize to anyone who thinks I was refering to them.

I think I've been misunderstood however. What I was refering to and why I capitalized it was the "hate bush he stole the election" syndrome that started after the previous election.

It was the main motivator of the Democratic Party through out Bush's first term and prior to Kerry's nomination.

I honestly think it was the leftover taste from the hate policy that caused such a shift in voting. Regardless of who motivated how many within their own party, in the popular vote, the large % change indicates the Independents went strongly to Bush.

I think it's the residuals of that message that swung the independents.

fltsfshr
Old 11-03-2004, 07:09 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Nov 3 2004, 11:00 AM
If they put up McCain, I don't think she'll even carry Mass. McCain is the "Golden Boy" of the party. He can do no wrong these days.
to my sorrow.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:41 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Please show me the hate in my post.

Did I say "I hate those evangelicals"? That answer would be no.

Did I say "I hate the GOP"? No.

Did I express admiration for a sound strategy? Yes.

You can hate me all you like. I don't really give a shit.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lig,Nov 3 2004, 10:12 AM
I hate to admit this - but the GOP plan was brilliant. To dlq's point: I believe that I heard last night that 20% of the voters last night were Evangelicals? That's a massive turnout.

Their strategy of motivating their core voters was very effective. Fear (terrorism) and bigotry (gay marriage issues on the ballots of many states) = a strong turnout of GOP voters.

4 more years? Which nations do we "liberate" next? We've got plenty of bombs and there just isn't enough freedom to go around in this world.
Thanks for calling me a bigot. Nice job.

Anyone who posts that Bush won because his supporters are motivated by what lig described can go jump. It's highly offensive and even if no one else will step up and say it, I am.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:47 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

IMO anyone who somehow thinks that gay people shouldn't be allowed to marry is a bigot.

What gives any human the right to tell another that they can't be married to the person they love?

Why shouldn't gay people enjoy the same rights as straight people?

Bigot:

A person who regards his own faith and views in matters of religion as unquestionably right, and any belief or opinion opposed to or differing from them as unreasonable or wicked. In an extended sense, a person who is intolerant of opinions which conflict with his own, as in politics or morals; one obstinately and blindly devoted to his own church, party, belief, or opinion.

Nowhere did I say that everyone who voted for Bush is a bigot. I did say that the GOPs strategy of getting gay marriage issues on the ballot of 11 states was a great way to motivate bigoted people to vote. There is a difference.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

[QUOTE=lig,Nov 3 2004, 11:47 AM] IMO anyone who somehow thinks that gay people shouldn't be allowed to marry is a bigot.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:57 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

[QUOTE=lig,Nov 3 2004, 11:47 AM] IMO anyone who somehow thinks that gay people shouldn't be allowed to marry is a bigot.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:03 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Julie - I'm confused. Did I call you in particular a bigot? I don't think so.

I still believe that those who would deny the gay people the right to marry are bigots.

If you are one who would deny gay people the right to marry - then IMO you are a bigot. If you are not - what is the problem?
Old 11-03-2004, 08:10 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Rob - I'll cease posting. Some will be delighted, I'm sure.

I've posted the definition of bigot. It's quite clear what the meaning of the word is.

As a "live and let live" kind of person - it really offends me that so many people are willing to openly discriminate against gay people.

Not too many years ago you could substitue "black" for "gay" and see the same kind of instutionalized discrimination.

I apologize to anyone who was offended by my post - but I do stand by it.

Flame away, all.

Quick Reply: Vote