S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vote

Old 11-03-2004, 02:04 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Nov 3 2004, 06:40 PM
He just said the Republicans were very successful in convincing a certain class of bigots to vote on their side.
You can get in trouble refering to NASCAR like that...

fltsfshr
Old 11-03-2004, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, Lord. He's insulted the left-turn only fans.

In before the (re)lock.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by fltsfshr,Nov 3 2004, 06:04 PM
You can get in trouble refering to NASCAR like that...
Old 11-03-2004, 02:15 PM

From Current Events and Politics Forum - y2ks2k 10/31/04 1:45 am
You'd better get that IQ checked again. 1/3rd of Bush supporters are radical evangelical Christians. A good sociological study will tell you that these people have on average 11 IQ point lower then a typical American and a lower income level. To boot, simple voter maps will show you that rural communities vote Repub and Urban communities vote Democrat. These are just facts. Clearly the centers of intelligence in this country are not found on the farm....
To jmc1971 - Don't feel too bad. You are in good company.

The above quote shows me that many Kerry supporters have a skewed view of who and what constitutes a Bush supporter. Generalizations and distortions. Sounds like "bigotry" to me. I, for one, am tired of the "bigot" and "racist" terms being thrown around quite "liberally". These traits are shared by people from across the political/racial/cultural/religious spectrum. Honest disagreement on basic issues does NOT make someone a racist or bigot. Because someone may be against gay marriage does NOT mean that they are anti-gay.
Because someone is against affirmative action does NOT mean that they are anti-minority. Because someone is anti-abortion does NOT mean that they are anti-women's rights. There are some people who disagree with these positions on deeply held principle and, in many cases, sound and reasoned thought. I am continually amazed at the people who claim to be more feeling, caring and "fair" labeling people who legitimately disagree with their positions as somehow "racist", "bigots" or "extremists". You can try to couch the condemnation in terms such as "some" or by making blanket statements and yet "exempting" the person that you are arguing with but that doesn't mean you haven't made that call. Bubba, if you want to throw mud then stand up and defend yourself. Don't hide behind "whinging" (one of my favorite Brit terms) and weak justifications. If you think that someone is a bigot, go for it. But I suggest that you look real hard in the mirror and think long before you start calling people out. I, personally, found the above quote to be condescending, ignorant and offensive in the extreme. I also called the person on it and received no response. Please think about what you are REALLY saying when you start throwing verbal bombs. You get upset when someone questions your motivations and beliefs but continue to do the same to others. Not Cool.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by anarky,Nov 3 2004, 06:15 PM
From Current Events and Politics Forum - y2ks2k 10/31/04 1:45 am

To jmc1971 - Don't feel too bad. You are in good company.

The above quote shows me that many Kerry supporters have a skewed view of who and what constitutes a Bush supporter. Generalizations and distortions. Sounds like "bigotry" to me. I, for one, am tired of the "bigot" and "racist" terms being thrown around quite "liberally". These traits are shared by people from across the political/racial/cultural/religious spectrum. Honest disagreement on basic issues does NOT make someone a racist or bigot. Because someone may be against gay marriage does NOT mean that they are anti-gay.
Because someone is against affirmative action does NOT mean that they are anti-minority. Because someone is anti-abortion does NOT mean that they are anti-women's rights. There are some people who disagree with these positions on deeply held principle and, in many cases, sound and reasoned thought. I am continually amazed at the people who claim to be more feeling, caring and "fair" labeling people who legitimately disagree with their positions as somehow "racist", "bigots" or "extremists". You can try to couch the condemnation in terms such as "some" or by making blanket statements and yet "exempting" the person that you are arguing with but that doesn't mean you haven't made that call. Bubba, if you want to throw mud then stand up and defend yourself. Don't hide behind "whinging" (one of my favorite Brit terms) and weak justifications. If you think that someone is a bigot, go for it. But I suggest that you look real hard in the mirror and think long before you start calling people out. I, personally, found the above quote to be condescending, ignorant and offensive in the extreme. I also called the person on it and received no response. Please think about what you are REALLY saying when you start throwing verbal bombs. You get upset when someone questions your motivations and beliefs but continue to do the same to others. Not Cool.

Unfortunately there is stupidity on both sides of the aisle. Unfortunately, as we have seen in this thread, good debate and discussion is oftentimes poisoned by bad finger pointing and name calling.

We can take the high road or we can take the low road. I prefer the high road.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:27 PM

Amen! Well stated, Anarky!
Old 11-03-2004, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ralper,Nov 3 2004, 06:26 PM
We can take the high road or we can take the low road. I prefer the high road.
Yes, but does the high road have lots of twisties??
Old 11-03-2004, 02:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by anarky,Nov 3 2004, 03:15 PM
Because someone may be against gay marriage does NOT mean that they are anti-gay.
It's hard to see how. Separate but equal?

Because someone is against affirmative action does NOT mean that they are anti-minority. Because someone is anti-abortion does NOT mean that they are anti-women's rights.
True. But who said it did? In this thread, anyway?

I am continually amazed at the people who claim to be more feeling, caring and "fair" labeling people who legitimately disagree with their positions as somehow "racist", "bigots" or "extremists".
[...] I, personally, found the above quote to be condescending, ignorant and offensive in the extreme. I also called the person on it and received no response. Please think about what you are REALLY saying when you start throwing verbal bombs. You get upset when someone questions your motivations and beliefs but continue to do the same to others. Not Cool.
The above quote didn't come from this discussion. Not until you brought it here. I know Jeff didn't say it.

Hey, I'm bigoted against certain things. I have my reasons for that. I strongly believe that creationists are just plain wrong, for instance. Theists too, for that matter. But as long as they don't use our government to promote their beliefs, I don't care.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:42 PM

Mike,

I think maybe you are a little too literal minded. The positions that I mentioned were examples used to illustrate a point ie; that because someone is against a postition does not make them against a possible proponent of the position. I don't wish to debate the gay marriage issue in this forum. If you want to start a thread (or maybe ask Chazmo if he should let one be created), then I would be happy to post my thoughts.

Like it or not the government is in the business of social engineering. Why do think that there IS a government in the first place. It sounds as if you just don't like the current engineering drawings.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by anarky,Nov 3 2004, 03:42 PM
Like it or not the government is in the business of social engineering. Why do think that there IS a government in the first place. It sounds as if you just don't like the current engineering drawings.
Actually, I like the engineering drawings OK. I just don't like the mods that some people are trying to hang on it.

Of course, other people don't agree with the mods that I think need to be done, either.

I will say, though, that if anybody here thinks I have made a personal attack against them, well it wasn't intentional. Suffice to say, you would know for darn sure if I were making a personal attack against you. Attacking someone's stated position or argument logic is not a personal attack.

Quick Reply: Vote