S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vote

Old 11-01-2004, 06:12 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,159 Posts
Default Vote

The campaign is over. The politicans have said what they wanted to say and done what they wanted to do. Now its our turn to make our voices heard.

Regardless of who you vote for, regardless of how you see things, make sure you cast your vote tomorrow. It is time for us to stand up and be heard.

Voting is our most basic right. Make sure you exercise it.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But I also feel that it is every citizen's responsibility and duty to vote.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by anarky,Nov 1 2004, 10:34 PM

But I also feel that it is every citizen's responsibility and duty to vote.

Yes, absolutely, that is absolutely correct. In order for a democracy to function properly every citizen has a responsibility and duty to vote.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:39 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

It's very sad that a certain element is going to great lengths to discourage the newly registered folks from Voting

Hopefully, the vast majority of these new Voters will NOT be disenfranchised....

This mostly affects young people and minority voters, but could affect any newly registered voter.....lacking the required ID at the polls, victim of last-minute relocation of polling places, etc.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by paS2K,Nov 2 2004, 01:39 AM
It's very sad that a certain element is going to great lengths to discourage the newly registered folks from Voting

Hopefully, the vast majority of these new Voters will NOT be disenfranchised....

This mostly affects young people and minority voters, but could affect any newly registered voter.....lacking the required ID at the polls, victim of last-minute relocation of polling places, etc.
keep drinking that Kool-Aid........ you must get your talking points via email direct from Kerry/Edwards.

Do you even have a clue of how much voter fraud is going on, just in your back yard more people in Philly have registered than are eligible. The same goes for several counties in Ohio, I see nothing wrong asking for ID for something as important as voting for our next leader.

I challenge you to produce just ONE voter who is disenfranchised (love that word ) you can't do it but like all the bull flolating around it sure does sound good. blah blah blah blah blah running scared already huh Jerry
Old 11-02-2004, 02:37 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by charlie,Nov 2 2004, 06:15 AM
Do you even have a clue of how much voter fraud is going on, just in your back yard more people in Philly have registered than are eligible. The same goes for several counties in Ohio, I see nothing wrong asking for ID for something as important as voting for our next leader.
Charlie

I don't mean to start an argument here, but there is a great deal of truth to what Jerry says.

Apparently you are too young to remember when bogus "literacy tests" were used to keep voters in the south away from the polls. At the time the people running the elections also "saw nothing wrong" with requiring that the voters have a "certain level of literacy". They too claimed that it wasn't too much to ask for in an election to determine future leaders. Of course what they really meant was that it was a great tactic to help control the outcome of the election, and to prevent people who might have an opposing view from voting.

It is most unfortunate that these challenges are being allowed, regardless of which party or group is doing it. Whether or not you believe that the people challenging the voters have good intentions, these types of actions always result in preventing legitimate voters from voting.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:00 AM

^ There are/have been a number of fairly widespread organized attempts to defraud voters here in Florida this election. Around this area registered Dems have been receiving phone calls from people posing as election officials telling them that their voting precincts have been moved. The "new" addresses that folks are given don't actually exist.
I have a sinking feeling that the election is going to turn into a fiasco here in FL again this election, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we end up with a replay of the last election.

Dean
Old 11-02-2004, 04:05 AM

Rob,

I don't think literacy tests are the same thing as asking for a valid piece of ID.

The voter fraud issue cuts across party lines as each tries to gain an advantage for their candidate. Until a viable system is established for ensuring that the vote counts are accurate and that everyone can vote only once (provided that they are indeed alive or even exist), then there will be problems with the electoral system.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:08 AM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Now Charlie, stop listening to Rush (And I DO you were listening yesterday) As for your landslide....It certainly doesn't look like that will actually happen. I really do hope that we see one person, one vote this time and the person who wins the election is actually put into the position....And YES if W gets the majority of votes (not electoral), he deserves to win.

Voted, there was actually a challenger in my precinct, first time I can ever remember one at the polling place.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:30 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by anarky,Nov 2 2004, 08:05 AM
Rob,

I don't think literacy tests are the same thing as asking for a valid piece of ID.

The voter fraud issue cuts across party lines as each tries to gain an advantage for their candidate. Until a viable system is established for ensuring that the vote counts are accurate and that everyone can vote only once (provided that they are indeed alive or even exist), then there will be problems with the electoral system.
Jeff

If you are going to ask for ID that is fine, but ask everyone. Don't just ask in certain districts and of certain voters. And, make it clear as to what ID you are asking for. The trouble with these challenges have always been that they are arbitrary, and unfortunately, used for the benefit of one candidate or the other. The intent is really not so much different than the literacy tests of the past.

Both parties are guilty, and have been guilty in the past. I agree with you that it is time that we all got together to insure that the elections are as fair as possible. Win or lose, the cornerstone of our democracy is the ability to hold fair elections.

Quick Reply: Vote