S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vintage Membership and Posting Rules

Old 12-07-2011, 04:42 AM
B-T

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

B-T here. I just got a 2006 S2000 in Laguna Blue Pearl / black interior last week. Changed the oil, put new wiper blades on, and did some cleaning so far. The car is all stock except for a K&N filter inside the stock air box. I drove the car 1350 miles home from Dallas, TX last Friday, it now has 65,600 ish miles on it, but feels like new.

My name is Bill Tracy
5028 Misty Morn Road, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418
Born December 18, 1967
My cell phone is 56one 339 - f i v e 939.

My wife's name is Lisa.

I'm not sure what the badge looks like, but I hope to meet up with some other non-stance / hellaflush S2k owners to go for some drives. I take a few trips each year to the mountains and have really enjoyed them in the past driving a Ginetta (picture attached). Back when the money was turned on I also had an oldish Ferrari that was pretty fun. The S2000 is by far the superior machine to either of those cars in my opinion.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:46 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Bill - Lots of FL S2K owners. Three who post here fairly often are FL_Vyk, dean, and fltsfshr. Welcome! (Can't see your pics, though.)
Old 12-07-2011, 05:10 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

Welcome to Vintage, Bill <B-T>, and Lisa! Great S color! But Rio is faster!
Old 12-07-2011, 05:12 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

I have to agree.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:13 AM
B-T

Thanks for the info Deb. I changed the source of the photos to a photobucket account, hopefully they show up now.
BT
Old 12-07-2011, 05:14 AM
B-T

Jim, are you sure the Rio is faster? The seller specifically told me the Laguna was the fastest color, and by a sizable amount!
Old 12-08-2011, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(Mostly as originally Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:30 AM in 'Introduce yourself here! Part II)

We are Dave and Sandy in southern Maryland. - both born in the 50's and now living in our 50's. In 2003, Sandy pointed to a Z3 in an adjacent lane on the DC beltway saying, "I like that one!" Dave has been thinking about a convertible 'fun car' since, but bought a 2003 V6 Accord for family reasons instead (same maximum HP as the S2K). Dave first paid real attention to the S2000 while walking through a Honda dealer in 2004.

In October 2010, Dave thought to surprise Sandy with a roadster for the holidays, and by mid-November, after years of satisfaction with the Accord and much 'net reading about Hondas and the competition, no roadster made more sense to him than an S2000 for a mix of appearance, performance, reliability and operating costs. The 'surprise' part of the idea was short-lived, however, because Dave thought a roadster 'surprise' in a color scheme Sandy didn't like was not the right kind of surprise.

Dave's next pondering ... AP1 or AP2? The internal tug-of-war lasted for 90% of his search. In the end, for our use, the accumulated chassis/body changes over the years just slightly outweighed the 9K redline (sigh). Anticipated best bang for the buck meant a MY06 or MY07. Now what color scheme? Sandy always wanted Silver, and we found a Silver MY06 at a Nissan dealer in Alexandria.

Having done extensive research at Edmunds.com and KBB.com on price per model year and condition, and formed a spreadsheet with rating values, Dave crawled over the car for 2.5 hours finding work yet to be done. The dealer presented their 'explanations' and fee-loaded price sheet while Dave mostly held to the spreadsheet numbers. Sandy did her best to stay calm. The dealer wasn't giving way nearly enough, we weren't going to overpay. No sale. After reviewing other aspects of our treatment by the salesperson, we vowed not to return – perhaps the whole idea would die right then.

But Dave wasn't ready to let it die. Initially Dave was positive about getting the S2000, but not set on it. Then something happened when we were test driving: Dave drove it - and liked the S2000 more than he thought he would. He wasn't interested in the S2000 for Sandy like some husband with an ulterior motive might buy a nice tent for his wife that never goes camping - he knew she would likely enjoy the car if we could get over the ‘slimy’ dealer treatment.

Dave kept up his search behind the scenes for another two months, until a Silver '07 was listed for sale about 90 minutes from his brother’s home in Pennsylvania. It was now firmly mid-winter with two major storm systems moving through PA, so the seller’s price was not irrationally heating up. Compared to others Dave looked into, this S2000 appeared to need only new tires and a couple cosmetic repairs ... overall a good deal. Being cautious, Dave met the seller at a service center where a complete ‘used car intake’ inspection was performed, plus compression/leak engine testing with good results. A couple unknowns were found when the car was raised on the lift, but no show-stoppers. A few minor repairs later, Dave and Sandy finally brought 'Silvergirl'* home to MD in February 2011. (*A knickname Dave picked, from Simon and Garfunkel song lyrics.)

Since then, we’ve talked to people who’ve had ‘hotter’ cars, or more expensive high-performance cars, but we’ve always found S2K owners really like their S2K. Some former S2K owners that let theirs go in order to buy a new ‘better’ car found that while their new car might have had a few ‘better’ specifications, bottom line, the new car didn’t provide the owner with the same joy.

Not everyone has to like the S2000. We do!

"Windows Down, Top Down!"

December 8, 2011, PS: Saw a Z3 on the road the other day with the same exterior color scheme as our S. S's look SO much better!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

Hello, Dave and Sandy. Welcome! Another great story. It's nice to see you posting here!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well its been a long time in the making but I've arrived
Hi my name is Jarrett , been in this site for many many yrs, since I bought my first S back in nov of 04. I have become somewhat upset with the new owners and how they destroy their cars ,,"in my opinion". I almost left the site because if the new "younger owners"...found some other S2000 sites that had much less of the stance crowd , reminded of the older days here
But how did I forget this part of s2ki !!! Lucky I didn't so I'm here once again to join the crowd. I use to visit here a few yrs ago, and unlike the last time I was here... I can now say I qualify .
Born 1/21/1970 ...married two kids and a cat ...and still a happy S2000 owner
Old 12-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 148 Likes on 97 Posts

Hey Jarrett, welcome over here.

Quick Reply: Vintage Membership and Posting Rules