S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Vintage Forum Weather Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 07:28 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
35? Chilly!!
We've had upper 50's low 60's but breezy! Tomorrow looks good. A short road trip to a RI Audubon site, weather is supposed to be a bit warmer, less breezy.
It was much better today. I rode 20 miles for the "Every Day In May" Global ElliptiGO Riders Club challenge. I have an assigned partner in Georgia and we are the team "Rocky Peaches".

^5-12-2021. Lake Loveland is full! The spring runoff brings it up.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:53 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,647 Posts

Patty I think your rain gauge is labelled incorrectly.
if you are filling from the bottom up, shouldn't the smaller numbers start at the bottom?
Old 05-13-2021, 06:29 AM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

I couldn’t see the rain level in it, so it must raise up as it fills and so the numbers get larger as it rises. My guess…
Old 05-13-2021, 08:48 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Patty I think your rain gauge is labelled incorrectly.
if you are filling from the bottom up, shouldn't the smaller numbers start at the bottom?
Originally Posted by Morris
I couldn’t see the rain level in it, so it must raise up as it fills and so the numbers get larger as it rises. My guess…
Dean is correct. It floats up as rain fills it up. What's So Cool About A Rain Gauge?

Can a rain gauge be cool? Normally, no. But this is the World's Coolest Rain Gauge and it will forever change your mind about the humble pluviometer, an obsolete word for rain gauge, likely from the French word pluviomètre (Latin pluvia, rain + -mètre, meter).

Admittedly, this rain gauge is a little different than most. The numbers on the measurement tube are in reverse order. The tube doesn't hold water. When it's empty, you can't see the numbers. What's going on here? Does this thing even work?

It certainly does. And there's centuries of science backing it up. The theory behind this pop-up rain gauge is based on Archimedes' principle of water displacement. As water flows into the molded resin collection flute, the measurement tube rises to show water accumulation. To paraphrase the great man himself, "Eureka! That's cool!"

The 24 inch molded resin rain gauge with metal stake is great for low-growing garden beds, next to a patio or deck as an attractive accent with PURPOSE! Inside the flute, a blue polycarbonate tube and foam float wait patiently for rain. As rain falls into the collection flute, the blue tube rises to show the accumulated precipitation. Cool, right?

Old 05-13-2021, 01:08 PM
Member (Premium)

So question 1, do you have to drain it or does it somehow evaporate off?
Old 05-13-2021, 01:14 PM
Member (Premium)

Patty's link did trigger the thought that my older accurite weather station has seen better days.

I would love to have a more accurate station but we are so sheltered by all of the trees getting any wind measurement is a waste of time, direction or magnitude.
I need to get my neighbor across the street to put up a good one. He's 500 ft higher than I am with unobstructed views to 330° around him most of which he can see for 30-40 miles.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:48 PM
Member (Premium)

So question 1, do you have to drain it or does it somehow evaporate off?
Yes, I have to empty the cylinder.

You can see the foam that makes the blue part float as water gets through the hole shown in the next photo.

Oh, and my current temps...

Old 05-13-2021, 03:30 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Patty's link did trigger the thought that my older accurite weather station has seen better days.

I would love to have a more accurate station but we are so sheltered by all of the trees getting any wind measurement is a waste of time, direction or magnitude.
I need to get my neighbor across the street to put up a good one. He's 500 ft higher than I am with unobstructed views to 330° around him most of which he can see for 30-40 miles.
I have an AcuRite Atlas & have had good results with it.
Levi
Old 05-13-2021, 03:47 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,666 Likes on 858 Posts

I have the Vantage PRO2 station, that provides extremely accurate readings, except for wind. Like you, I am surrounded by trees to the west and only when the leaves are gone and the wind is from the east do I get any accurate wind-speed readings. Here is a link to my weather station.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:34 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Mine: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboa...ocalwx_pwsdash
Levi
The following users liked this post:
jukngene (05-13-2021)

Quick Reply: The Vintage Forum Weather Thread