S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Vintage Forum Weather Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 08:33 PM

Received 4,245 Likes on 3,303 Posts

My Dad told me it could down to 33 at his place in Florida last night.
Old 12-26-2022, 03:21 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

It was 24 deg when I got up this morning. I heard from my neighbor yesterday that a lot of people who live in Pawleys Island in those raised beach houses have frozen/burst water pipes. I'm hoping this cold snap ends soon as I'm really not comfy wearing all these extra layers since I did what our power company is asking and turned my thermostats down to 66. I've been using my gas fireplace to supplement the heat and where it looks nice and actually does heat the room up pretty well, I can't say I'm enjoying it a lot. I don't think I've ever seen it stay this cold for this long since I've lived here. Our houses here are built to stay cool and heating these puppies is not easy. The power companies are threatening rolling blackouts if the power grid gets overloaded. Uggggg
Old 12-26-2022, 03:05 PM

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine
It was 24 deg when I got up this morning. I heard from my neighbor yesterday that a lot of people who live in Pawleys Island in those raised beach houses have frozen/burst water pipes. I'm hoping this cold snap ends soon as I'm really not comfy wearing all these extra layers since I did what our power company is asking and turned my thermostats down to 66. I've been using my gas fireplace to supplement the heat and where it looks nice and actually does heat the room up pretty well, I can't say I'm enjoying it a lot. I don't think I've ever seen it stay this cold for this long since I've lived here. Our houses here are built to stay cool and heating these puppies is not easy. The power companies are threatening rolling blackouts if the power grid gets overloaded. Uggggg
I see lots of places in the South now getting burst water pipes, and water supply pumping stations are out of service. Burst pipes are tough to deal with and very damaging, people don't usually see the damaged pipes until temps rise back up and the damage that was done during the freezing period rears its ugly head. A gas fireplace is good insurance, we have one and it has helped us during power outages and when our furnace refuses to spark up. Hopefully the shutdown of your outdoor water lines paid off. Good luck Darlene.
The following users liked this post:
valentine (12-27-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 03:15 PM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

My daughter in Charleston, SC had their hot water freeze up. Their water heater (on demand) is on the outside of the house and they forgot to let the water run overnight.
Old 12-26-2022, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
My daughter in Charleston, SC had their hot water freeze up. Their water heater (on demand) is on the outside of the house and they forgot to let the water run overnight.
wow that seems like such an odd design for people up North to understand, but it has likely worked in the South for many years. Bad timing I guess.
valentine (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 04:17 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

My hot water tank is in my garage and shares a wall with my kitchen. So far it seems fine as the garage is all enclosed. Temps are slowly creeping up and will reach the 40s today. It is still wayyy too cold for my taste and in the nearly 13 years since I moved here I've never seen it stay this cold for such an extended period of time. More and more people are getting damage from frozen pipes, etc. and I'm still hoping I manage to escape any damage.
Old 12-27-2022, 04:39 AM

The death toll in Buffalo NY from this one storm sits at 28. People stranded on the road left their vehicles and froze. People with malfunctioning furnaces died in their homes including carbon monoxide poisoning.

That is one place that is definitely worse than most of Canada for winter storms, though it is only 2.5 hours away from me. I never want to see snow accumulations that high, it would motivate me to move. Buffalo has been hit hard in recent winters. It is just located in a bad spot and gets pummelled by lake effect snow, you can likely go 30 minutes away and not get any of that snow, just a bad spot.
valentine (12-28-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 06:29 AM

Received 4,245 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
The death toll in Buffalo NY from this one storm sits at 28. People stranded on the road left their vehicles and froze. People with malfunctioning furnaces died in their homes including carbon monoxide poisoning.

That is one place that is definitely worse than most of Canada for winter storms, though it is only 2.5 hours away from me. I never want to see snow accumulations that high, it would motivate me to move. Buffalo has been hit hard in recent winters. It is just located in a bad spot and gets pummelled by lake effect snow, you can likely go 30 minutes away and not get any of that snow, just a bad spot.
I was listening to a segment on this coming home from work last night on N.P.R. I had no idea as did I think a lot of people that this was going on in Buffalo which was the point of the story. A lot of folks there need help
valentine (12-28-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by robb
I was listening to a segment on this coming home from work last night on N.P.R. I had no idea as did I think a lot of people that this was going on in Buffalo which was the point of the story. A lot of folks there need help
yeah it was a killer storm, but it has happened a few times in recent years. They can get storms with 5-6 feet of snow, it is like a snow generator that blows east across the lake and just hammers Buffalo with a constant unrelenting snow that doesn't stop. Scary.
valentine (12-28-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 09:20 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

I don’t understand why so many people were out in that storm. “They” have warned us about this storm for a week before and told us to prepare.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scooterboy:
valentine (12-28-2022), zeroptzero (12-27-2022)

Quick Reply: The Vintage Forum Weather Thread