S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Vintage Forum Weather Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 02:46 PM

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,661 Posts

I know my main asset is my home, if it was lost without insurance that would be one real tough situation to deal with. It is hard for us to relate to what we are seeing in Florida.

Cuba had a tough time with electricity outages in good times, they now have it much worse with the hurricane passing through that country, I can't see much help for them now as they have no real resources to deal with these events and electricity grid damage.
Old 10-02-2022, 03:47 AM

Sanibel is declared uninhabitable, everyone must be evacuated from the island. That is a very large task, and those poor people who just have to pick up and leave with what they have in their hands by way of helicopter. I could not imagine what that would be like.

Having vacationed on Sanibel and Captiva many times I always thought how great it would be to live there, it really was one of my favourite spots to dream about. This storm really changes things. It could be a very long time before anyone can re-build, with no roads to the island and many roads on the island destroyed it just seems like an impossible task. We are talking years and not months. Loss of life being 2-4 persons, seems very low, the images of the destruction are sobering.
Old 10-02-2022, 04:08 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Finally got cable and internet back. Didn't feel I could complain since other than flickering on/off a few times, I kept my power. Also so many others lost so much and all I have is a terribly messy yard. I began to think for a while I was going to be the very sad owner of waterfront property when the surge rolled in and my next door neighbor's property began to flood. He had waves over his front yard and driveway and it was rushing toward my property line, but fell short by about 10 feet. He also lost a huge tree, but it missed his house. I have no idea if he had cars or "stuff" in his garage that's underneath his house, but the water was about 1/3 way up the garage so he could have some soggy stuff. I'm more than thankful I didn't lose any trees. As to evacuating, I've done it before and made the decision to stay. Everything I know is here and leaving it all was unbearable to me. I know my house is built to withstand heavy winds, etc. and the only water I have to worry about is a tidal marsh that's never flooded past the driveway next door, plus my house is built several feet above that driveway. If water came in, I could go upstairs. This is my second hurricane experience and I hope I never have to see another one. The beaches down here are a big mess, all the dunes washed away and the area lost at least 3 piers and a 4th was damaged. Many houses were damaged and downed power lines caused a huge fire in Garden City that consumed 2 houses, the flames of which I could see from my house. It was rough. Oh, and I do carry flood insurance in addition to wind/hail coverage, so if I had damage it would be covered and I have a policy that covers roof leaks as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by valentine:
Kyras (10-03-2022), Lainey (10-02-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 04:18 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,951 Likes on 1,746 Posts

Glad you are doing pretty well. As for Sarasota County, the other location I have been concerned about, the Myakka River flooded four miles out of its banks. It is not that close to my friend's mother's house. That is the source of problems on I-75. Have not heard more from her since she texted the house was dry. So I am hopeful power will be restored there soon. However, FPL is saying 95% of power will be restored by the end of the day on Oct 9, which is another week. Ugh...and perhaps longer for those in heavily flooded areas and areas hard to access.
Old 10-02-2022, 04:23 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras

^10-23-2003. Ages ago, Sam. Valentine/Darlene took this photo.
That's when we were much younget
The following users liked this post:
valentine (10-04-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 04:25 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Sam...have you seen their website? Could be useful. Unfortunately, also in Sarasota County.

https://www.northportfl.gov/
Thanks for the information!
Old 10-02-2022, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by valentine
Finally got cable and internet back. Didn't feel I could complain since other than flickering on/off a few times, I kept my power. Also so many others lost so much and all I have is a terribly messy yard. I began to think for a while I was going to be the very sad owner of waterfront property when the surge rolled in and my next door neighbor's property began to flood. He had waves over his front yard and driveway and it was rushing toward my property line, but fell short by about 10 feet. He also lost a huge tree, but it missed his house. I have no idea if he had cars or "stuff" in his garage that's underneath his house, but the water was about 1/3 way up the garage so he could have some soggy stuff. I'm more than thankful I didn't lose any trees. As to evacuating, I've done it before and made the decision to stay. Everything I know is here and leaving it all was unbearable to me. I know my house is built to withstand heavy winds, etc. and the only water I have to worry about is a tidal marsh that's never flooded past the driveway next door, plus my house is built several feet above that driveway. If water came in, I could go upstairs. This is my second hurricane experience and I hope I never have to see another one. The beaches down here are a big mess, all the dunes washed away and the area lost at least 3 piers and a 4th was damaged. Many houses were damaged and downed power lines caused a huge fire in Garden City that consumed 2 houses, the flames of which I could see from my house. It was rough. Oh, and I do carry flood insurance in addition to wind/hail coverage, so if I had damage it would be covered and I have a policy that covers roof leaks as well.
Good news, glad to hear everything is good and safe at your spot. It sounds like you have all the bases covered with insurance, nice to have that peace of mind. All the best going forward.
The following users liked this post:
valentine (10-04-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 01:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Still a waiting game for power in Venice…at least my friend and her mother found a hotel to stay in. She did have to wait four hours for gas. Cash only.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:02 AM
Member (Premium)

As for here, Nov weather the next couple of days. Low 50s, 40s at night.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:55 AM

Received 4,246 Likes on 3,304 Posts

Saw 39 degrees coming home from work this morning. It's 43 right now and sunny. We are expecting a high of 56 and low of 34 today.

Quick Reply: The Vintage Forum Weather Thread