S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vintage FC Track Impressions

Old 10-26-2004, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...sorry I couldn't ride with you the last session...I was already late and Denise was waiting at the Hotel. Apparently she is in someone's wedding pictures now...
Old 10-26-2004, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by grannyrod,Oct 26 2004, 02:10 PM
Geez, anybody into skydiving?
I'm game Granny!!
Old 10-26-2004, 03:54 PM

It was a total blast. Although the track was wet and I had two instructors. Granny how were you able to hit 70 on the wet track, they wouldn't let me pass 50mph Now, I'm like zippy, when is the next track day I now consider myself a semi-pro
Old 10-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,958 Likes on 1,750 Posts

Well, Jerry and I took some corners in the parade!
Old 10-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by matrix,Oct 26 2004, 04:01 PM
...sorry I couldn't ride with you the last session...I was already late and Denise was waiting at the Hotel. Apparently she is in someone's wedding pictures now...
Marco, no problem, I soloed and was pretty quick.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by zcarcrazy,Oct 26 2004, 06:54 PM
It was a total blast. Although the track was wet and I had two instructors. Granny how were you able to hit 70 on the wet track, they wouldn't let me pass 50mph Now, I'm like zippy, when is the next track day I now consider myself a semi-pro
Only 50
In the second session I hit 88 on the back straight...maybe a little fast for the conditions, but I had no problems.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Zippy,Oct 26 2004, 07:24 PM
Marco, no problem, I soloed and was pretty quick.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Oct 26 2004, 07:13 PM
Well, Jerry and I took some corners in the parade!
Deb, you weren't the only one to hit a few corners in the parade laps.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:04 PM

Received 515 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by grannyrod,Oct 26 2004, 10:27 AM
Hey D, I have the same novice grin on my face as Zippy just thinking about it. We couldn't really put the pedal to the metal because of rain and fog but the ol' girl here has never taken a corner at 70mph and that was like "whoa Nelly". Gave me a greater appreciation for our car, greater appreciation for how the pros do it at their speeds and believe it or not, a greater appreciation for my stock 02s which didn't slide once on the wet track or the wetter roads where I was speeding.

I had a great instructor in Matt inVA and all I could hear last night in my sleep was him saying, "brake, hit the apex, now unwind", over and over again. There were cones all over the place but I was looking for numbers marking what turns we were auout to hit as we made our way around the track. There were none so trying to learn the track at any speed was a challenge. At one point Matt asked me to explain to him why I was in any particular position on the track at any given time. If I hadn't been concentrating so hard on driving and keeping control of the car and gripping the wheel, I would have slapped him and told him it was taking everything I had to remember where those stupid cones were and what to do when I got to them. However, I just kept on driving and hoping for the straightaways. Good thing he's my friend because I was ready to kill him!

Then he took me in his car with him driving and taking corners at 90 + and I thought I'd crap my pants while holding on the arm rest and the emergency brake (shut up guys). I can't even imagine doing that at the 185-215 speeds the pros do it after that. Jeff and Joe did a great job in the classroom session preparing us for what was to come. Putting it into practice was another story, though. If the weather had been better, we would have really been something out there. It was very well organized and hats off to Rick for making this possible. What a great once-in-a lifetime experience for me. When I'm in my rocking chair on my front porch, this will be one of the highlights I replay. Talk about your adrenaline rush! I'm still pumped. Jr., Mears and Schumacher had better get outta my way after this.

First off, thank you GrannyRod for the compliment (I think, that is how you meant it?)

For what it is worth. I thought that it would help to take Granny for a ride to help her tie it all together. How mental road racing (high performance driving and tracking are, as we were NOT racing) is. It is my belief that the most difficult thing that a novice driver has to do when faced with a complex series of turns like the ones at Beaverun's twisty part is to overcome their visual input and tendency to turn in early for the decreasing radius and some times blind turns. This was the case with almost every student that I had. This was very evident in T5, T6 & T7. This complex series of tight turns (92* uphill right hander with a 175' radius, 41* left hander with a 250' radius, leading into an off camber downhill 63* right hander with a 250' radius). For example, the mental game begins at the entrance to T5 that has a late apex because it is a 92* turn. If one enters too early, which virtually every student did, (with one exception) one is in the wrong position on the track to enter T6, which in turn can put one in the wrong position for the downhill drop on T7 which unloads the suspension and can cause a "classic J hook" spin as the suspension unloads. As was evident by all of the mud and tire marks in the grass on the right side of the track just after the apex of T7.

When I took GrannyRod for the ride, my goal was to be smooth and show her the line (with out scaring her to death). I was hoping to demonstrate how all this track position comes together. She made the reference to me taking T9 at 90+ MPH. (T9 is a 31* right hander with a 360' radius). This is the fastest turn on the track before the big time braking zone for the hair pin T10. Just to put my 90+ MPH in perspective. On Monday after learning the track I was going through T9 at 104 MPH with my bone stock 2003. The fast guys (with mods) like Gfactor (George) and FF2 (Skip) go through that turn at about 115 MPH. Keith in his Modena at about 118-120 MPH

With all that said: Granny loan (thank you Angela) the Plant Pixie (Barbara) her helmet as Barbara's motorcycle helmet (Bell Star is out of date) so that I could take Barbara for a couple of "hot laps". And the answer is yes: Barbara I am proud of you that you did not scream (out loud) even once!

But after everything is said and done: This was my first track experience with our S, and I just came away with a better appreciation for this incredible car that we have. My bone stock 03 could "almost" keep up with the track cars in the tight twisty sections of the track T1-T6

We had a great time, in a safe and controlled environment to explore the limits of our driving ability and the cars ability. And I believe that many. like myself, regardless of previous experience came away with a whole new appreciation for the limits of this wonderful car.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by matt_inva,Oct 26 2004, 09:04 PM
It is my belief that the most difficult thing that a novice driver has to do when faced with a complex series of turns like the ones at Beaverun's twisty part is to overcome their visual input and tendency to turn in early for the decreasing radius and some times blind turns. This was the case with almost every student that I had. This was very evident in T5, T6 & T7. This complex series of tight turns (92* uphill right hander with a 175' radius, 41* left hander with a 250' radius, leading into an off camber downhill 63* right hander with a 250' radius). For example, the mental game begins at the entrance to T5 that has a late apex because it is a 92* turn. If one enters too early, which virtually every student did, (with one exception) one is in the wrong position on the track to enter T6, which in turn can put one in the wrong position for the downhill drop on T7 which unloads the suspension and can cause a "classic J hook" spin as the suspension unloads. As was evident by all of the mud and tire marks in the grass on the right side of the track just after the apex of T7.
...same with T10 and T11 (the hairpin). My students always turned in early and tried to make 2 steering inputs. When I pointed them to going deeper into the corner and make 1 steering input - this will make that turn a double apex and have the car in the right position @ T11 exit.

I had Chazmo and once I pointed this out to him, he nailed it everytime...

Quick Reply: Vintage FC Track Impressions