S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vintage FC Track Impressions

Old 10-26-2004, 06:12 AM

Received 5,770 Likes on 3,401 Posts
Default Vintage FC Track Impressions

So how was it? I keep waiting to here some reports. The weather looked kinda crappy - fog, wet, etc. but then it must have cleared up. While the parade laps make good photos, I want to hear some pedal-to-the-metal impressions on Beaver Run by first timers and seasoned racers since I had to abort being there.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:03 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

AMAZING!!!!!
I had no idea what my car was capable of.
I need another track day...I need another track....I need another track day.
Ooops, I'm repeating myself.
It's still hard to get this off of my face thinking about it.

I can't tell you much about how the track compares to others since it was my first, but I will say that it was quite open (no walls imminent) and a very, very smooth surface.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey D, I have the same novice grin on my face as Zippy just thinking about it. We couldn't really put the pedal to the metal because of rain and fog but the ol' girl here has never taken a corner at 70mph and that was like "whoa Nelly". Gave me a greater appreciation for our car, greater appreciation for how the pros do it at their speeds and believe it or not, a greater appreciation for my stock 02s which didn't slide once on the wet track or the wetter roads where I was speeding.

I had a great instructor in Matt inVA and all I could hear last night in my sleep was him saying, "brake, hit the apex, now unwind", over and over again. There were cones all over the place but I was looking for numbers marking what turns we were auout to hit as we made our way around the track. There were none so trying to learn the track at any speed was a challenge. At one point Matt asked me to explain to him why I was in any particular position on the track at any given time. If I hadn't been concentrating so hard on driving and keeping control of the car and gripping the wheel, I would have slapped him and told him it was taking everything I had to remember where those stupid cones were and what to do when I got to them. However, I just kept on driving and hoping for the straightaways. Good thing he's my friend because I was ready to kill him!

Then he took me in his car with him driving and taking corners at 90 + and I thought I'd crap my pants while holding on the arm rest and the emergency brake (shut up guys). I can't even imagine doing that at the 185-215 speeds the pros do it after that. Jeff and Joe did a great job in the classroom session preparing us for what was to come. Putting it into practice was another story, though. If the weather had been better, we would have really been something out there. It was very well organized and hats off to Rick for making this possible. What a great once-in-a lifetime experience for me. When I'm in my rocking chair on my front porch, this will be one of the highlights I replay. Talk about your adrenaline rush! I'm still pumped. Jr., Mears and Schumacher had better get outta my way after this.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:44 AM

Received 3,204 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Good for you Granny! You're making all of this track stuff sound VERY tempting!
Old 10-26-2004, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Oct 26 2004, 09:44 AM
Good for you Granny! You're making all of this track stuff sound VERY tempting!
If you ever get a chance, Lainey, you've GOT to try it. Gives you a natural high that lasts longer than the Energizer Bunny!
Old 10-26-2004, 09:48 AM

Received 5,770 Likes on 3,401 Posts

Originally Posted by grannyrod,Oct 26 2004, 11:27 AM
Good thing he's my friend because I was ready to kill him!

........... Talk about your adrenaline rush! I'm still pumped. Jr., Mears and Schumacher had better get outta my way after this.
Welcome to wonderful world this car can open up!
Old 10-26-2004, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04,Oct 26 2004, 11:48 AM
Welcome to wonderful world this car can open up!
You just said a mouthful there. Who knew when I bought this car that it would ever lead to all this? Joeking really liked a statement by one of my coworkers who said you thought you were just buying a car but you bought a new family and a whole new world. Best move I've made in a long time and I wouldn't trade my new friends and family for the world. Whole new world indeed. Next I'll be headed to a NASCAR event, then onto F1. Geez, anybody into skydiving? Might as well try that too while I'm at it. Then onto flying lessons. So much more of life to live, so little time left but I'm gonna live until I die! Next!
Old 10-26-2004, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by grannyrod,Oct 26 2004, 10:27 AM
Hey D, I have the same novice grin on my face as Zippy just thinking about it. We couldn't really put the pedal to the metal because of rain and fog but the ol' girl here has never taken a corner at 70mph and that was like "whoa Nelly". Gave me a greater appreciation for our car, greater appreciation for how the pros do it at their speeds and believe it or not, a greater appreciation for my stock 02s which didn't slide once on the wet track or the wetter roads where I was speeding.

I had a great instructor in Matt inVA and all I could hear last night in my sleep was him saying, "brake, hit the apex, now unwind", over and over again. There were cones all over the place but I was looking for numbers marking what turns we were auout to hit as we made our way around the track. There were none so trying to learn the track at any speed was a challenge. At one point Matt asked me to explain to him why I was in any particular position on the track at any given time. If I hadn't been concentrating so hard on driving and keeping control of the car and gripping the wheel, I would have slapped him and told him it was taking everything I had to remember where those stupid cones were and what to do when I got to them. However, I just kept on driving and hoping for the straightaways. Good thing he's my friend because I was ready to kill him!

Then he took me in his car with him driving and taking corners at 90 + and I thought I'd crap my pants while holding on the arm rest and the emergency brake (shut up guys). I can't even imagine doing that at the 185-215 speeds the pros do it after that. Jeff and Joe did a great job in the classroom session preparing us for what was to come. Putting it into practice was another story, though. If the weather had been better, we would have really been something out there. It was very well organized and hats off to Rick for making this possible. What a great once-in-a lifetime experience for me. When I'm in my rocking chair on my front porch, this will be one of the highlights I replay. Talk about your adrenaline rush! I'm still pumped. Jr., Mears and Schumacher had better get outta my way after this.
I should have warned you about the go fast crack pipe....once you smoke from it your hooked!

Welcome to the club....

Old 10-26-2004, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04,Oct 26 2004, 09:12 AM
So how was it? I keep waiting to here some reports. The weather looked kinda crappy - fog, wet, etc. but then it must have cleared up. While the parade laps make good photos, I want to hear some pedal-to-the-metal impressions on Beaver Run by first timers and seasoned racers since I had to abort being there.
It was great - I really enjoyed this track.

I ran in the experienced group. The first session was wet, but there was grip out there. As the day went on the grip level obviously came up as the track dried out. By the afternoon sessions, a dry line was available (except for one small area on the back straight where there was a little water).

I found that this track really flowed well, by my second session, I had a rhythm down.

Damn, I wish I had my video camera so I could have posted a few laps for you ....

Old 10-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by matrix,Oct 26 2004, 03:09 PM
I should have warned you about the go fast crack pipe....once you smoke from it your hooked!

Welcome to the club....

I need another track day...I need another track....I need another track day.

Quick Reply: Vintage FC Track Impressions