S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Veterans Day

Old 11-11-2013, 06:00 AM

Received 5,771 Likes on 3,402 Posts
Default Veterans Day

Don't forget today is Veteran's Day. Fly the Flag.

My Uncle Bill survived the Normandy landing as a private in the infantry; later he was promoted to sergeant. On the 11th of July 1944 the company was assaulting enemy positions near St. Lo. His squad was given the mission of cleaning out a machine gun nest, when they were subjected to enemy mortar fire. One of the shells landed near him causing wounds of the head and reportedly he died instantly. I suspect I am the only person alive who still thinks of the sacrifice he made.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bless them all.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:27 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 817 Likes on 488 Posts

A big thank you to all who served. I am grateful.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 788 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04

My Uncle Bill survived the Normandy landing as a private in the infantry; later he was promoted to sergeant. On the 11th of July 1944 the company was assaulting enemy positions near St. Lo. His squad was given the mission of cleaning out a machine gun nest, when they were subjected to enemy mortar fire. One of the shells landed near him causing wounds of the head and reportedly he died instantly. I suspect I am the only person alive who still thinks of the sacrifice he made.
No Dave you are not the only one. My Uncle served in the 3rd Infantry (Same unit as Audie Murphy,WWII most decorated soldier including Medal of Honor)was captured by the Nazis and had his toenails pulled out yet did not give them any information. Dad and his other brother fought with Halsey in the Pacific. Their younger brother served in Navy during Korea. These heroes and the sacrifices they made will never be forgotten!!!!
Old 11-11-2013, 04:55 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

My father served in WWII in the Navy, his younger brother both in WWII and in the Korean Conflict in the Army. Both survived their services and returned home to raise families. Both have since died now.

My younger brother joined the Air Force and served in the first Gulf War, flying the A-10 Thunderbolt (also known as the Wartgog), in order to get jet time, and to boost his hiring potential with domestic air carriers as a pilot. We think the chemical exposures he suffered in Iraq led to the development of ALS, Lou Gehrig's Disease. He survived for 10 years after diagnosis, but finally died almost three years ago next month.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Originally Posted by dlq04' timestamp='1384182012' post='22871462

No Dave you are not the only one. My Uncle served in the 3rd Infantry (Same unit as Audie Murphy,WWII most decorated soldier including Medal of Honor)was captured by the Nazis and had his toenails pulled out yet did not give them any information. Dad and his other brother fought with Halsey in the Pacific. Their younger brother served in Navy during Korea. These heroes and the sacrifices they made will never be forgotten!!!!
Audie Murphy - I think I heard of him, as has most of America. Bless your uncle!

My dad served in the Navy in WWII as well, thank god he came home. In other posts in the past I've mentioned several relatives who served, and the price one of my cousin's (Naval Academy) paid and another that of another cousin (nurse front lines in Nam). I can only hope my kids will remember these relatives who paid a real price unlike my European vacation thanks to the Air Force.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:32 AM

Received 788 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by S2KRAY' timestamp='1384216144' post='22872562
[quote name='dlq04' timestamp='1384182012' post='22871462']

Audie Murphy - I think I heard of him, as has most of America. Bless your uncle!

My dad served in the Navy in WWII as well, thank god he came home. In other posts in the past I've mentioned several relatives who served, and the price one of my cousin's (Naval Academy) paid and another that of another cousin (nurse front lines in Nam). I can only hope my kids will remember these relatives who paid a real price unlike my European vacation thanks to the Air Force.
[/quote]An old movie filmed in the 50's called "To Hell and Back" was the story of Audie Murphy and what he did to earn those medals. Audie Murphy played himself. I watched it a few weeks ago. Not the real deal but this Texan was fearless and killed a bunch of Nazi's against overwhelming odds. Look it up. God Bless all your family members who served.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Originally Posted by dlq04' timestamp='1384227617' post='22872802
[quote name='S2KRAY' timestamp='1384216144' post='22872562']
[quote name='dlq04' timestamp='1384182012' post='22871462']

[/quote]An old movie filmed in the 50's called "To Hell and Back" was the story of Audie Murphy and what he did to earn those medals. Audie Murphy played himself. I watched it a few weeks ago. Not the real deal but this Texan was fearless and killed a bunch of Nazi's against overwhelming odds. Look it up. God Bless all your family members who served.
[/quote]

I remember seeing it when it first came out and a couple times later on late night TV. Hard to believe a baby-faced kid could really do all he did. He made a lot of westerns too.