S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vacation Plans - 2024 Edition

Old 04-06-2024, 05:09 PM

Received 486 Likes on 287 Posts

Hola, Ola, etc.,

I just returned home this evening from an eleven day cruise on the Seabourn Quest from Miami to the Canary Islands. The Seabourn Quest is a small ship (650' long) and holds a maximum of 450 passengers. On this cruise there were 365 passengers (including me). Seabourn is ALL inclusive (including alcohol) and tipping is not required or expected (unless one cares too).

This was my fourth Seabourn cruise. The only other line that I would ever consider is Viking.

The first pleasant surprise was when I was walking up the gangway to get on board in Miami, I young female (named Slulita, from Hungary) was coming down the gangway. She recognized me from my cruise on the Odyssey last August to Alaska (even though I did not have a beard back then) she came up to me and gave me a big hug to welcome me on board. The second surprise was that the bar tender Renaldo (from Rio de Janeiro) that was also on the Odyssey back in August also recognized me and welcomed me on board.

The only disappointment on this cruise was I would generally start my evening at the Club Bar, where they serve Sushi and Sashimi from, 18:00 to 20:00 every night (which that yellowtail sashimi is amazing IMO). On the third night out out Miami they ran out of olives for my Bombay Sapphire Martinis.

If anyone has any interest in going on Seabourn Cruise feel free to PM me and I would happy to provide you with the contact information for my Seabourn Rep. FWIIW: On my cruise to New Zealand and Austrailia back over the holidays she saved us about $4K in the airfare, based on what I could find on my own.

Last edited by Matt_in_VA; 04-06-2024 at 05:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt_in_VA:
robb (04-07-2024), zeroptzero (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 05:16 PM

Received 3,536 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
Planning to finally go to Florida at the end of the month. Still deciding whether I want to drive or fly.
My 80 year old neighbour just got back from driving to Florida, he says this was the last year of him driving, he has been driving down for decades, but next year he is flying. It is hard on the back and legs driving that long, we found the same thing a few years back as my wife can't stay seated that long anymore. You almost need 2 days to recover once you get there too. Between the gas , food, and hotels (he stopped along the way) he can almost fly for the same price now too, no savings in driving . I always enjoyed the drive but flying has its benefits.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:38 PM

Received 5,347 Likes on 3,180 Posts

Matt, sounds like you are roughing it but making the most of it. We went a couple miles down the road to a local pub.
Old 04-07-2024, 02:29 AM

Received 4,021 Likes on 3,161 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
My 80 year old neighbour just got back from driving to Florida, he says this was the last year of him driving, he has been driving down for decades, but next year he is flying. It is hard on the back and legs driving that long, we found the same thing a few years back as my wife can't stay seated that long anymore. You almost need 2 days to recover once you get there too. Between the gas , food, and hotels (he stopped along the way) he can almost fly for the same price now too, no savings in driving . I always enjoyed the drive but flying has its benefits.
When all is said and done for me it would probably be close to the same cost if I drive or fly. I don’t live near any airports so I have to either pay to have someone take me there or leave my car there and pay for parking and in Florida I will be paying for a shuttle from airport to where I’m going. The decision for me was mainly that I have been cooped up for the last 4 years and was thinking a road trip would be great but I’m pretty sure I’m going to fly.
Old 04-07-2024, 03:22 AM

When all is said and done for me it would probably be close to the same cost if I drive or fly. I don’t live near any airports so I have to either pay to have someone take me there or leave my car there and pay for parking and in Florida I will be paying for a shuttle from airport to where I’m going. The decision for me was mainly that I have been cooped up for the last 4 years and was thinking a road trip would be great but I’m pretty sure I’m going to fly.
I completely understand. For us it was always about road tripping. We purposely stopped at different places along the way each trip to see different things. While I travelled to many nice places around the world , my favourite holidays were always the family road trips I took with my wife and son. to Florida (13 years of doing that).
The following 2 users liked this post by zeroptzero:
buckeyesue (04-07-2024), robb (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 07:24 AM

Received 740 Likes on 501 Posts

I am 80 and stopped driving to Naples 2 years ago. My back is not great and the crazy drivers make it a stressful drive. We flew Avelo this year and it was horrible. Their lower prices were offset by 2 days of cancelled flights and a rescheduled flight on the day we finally departed. We paid $170.00 for a suitcase and duffel bag and $60.00 for seats both ways. On the flight home a 20 year old passenger traveling with his parents started yelling and pushing his parents sitting next to him. They could not calm him down and neither could the attendants.. We will never fly with them again.
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 08:18 AM

^ Sounds like The good , bad, and ugly all in one flight Ray, sorry to hear of that.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:02 AM

Just made my reservations I’ll be flying down,
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 09:31 AM

Just made my reservations I’ll be flying down,
Is your Dad near Orlando ?
Old 04-07-2024, 09:54 AM

Is your Dad near Orlando ?
No he is an hour and a half away. My sister and her boyfriend are going to a wedding in Mass. (they live in the same complex as my Dad in Florida) this month and suggested I fly back with them so I’m going to do that. They will be leaving their car at the airport in Fl. so we will all ride back together. Easier logistics.
The following 2 users liked this post by robb:
Lainey (04-07-2024), zeroptzero (04-07-2024)

Quick Reply: Vacation Plans - 2024 Edition