S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vacation Plans - 2024 Edition

Old 06-28-2024, 03:55 PM

Received 4,009 Likes on 3,155 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
This reminds me of a funny T-shirt I used to see people wearing in past years - " You Think You're Tough , I Vacation in Detroit "

Are you able to see the Henry Ford Village, I always wanted to see that , and the ruins of the Packard Plant. I was working right across the Detroit River the last two days on the Canadian side across from where Vito would be running, in downtown Windsor. I am back home this evening (2 hours away ) . Enjoy the rest of your trip.
That Packard plant is HUGE or was I believe they are tearing it down. I would of liked to see it.
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 04:29 PM

Received 3,524 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
That Packard plant is HUGE or was I believe they are tearing it down. I would of liked to see it.
yeah it is supposed to be demolished by end of this year, it was the largest abandoned factory in the world.
Old 06-29-2024, 04:09 AM

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Yesterday was another fun day in Detroit. Stopped by nephew’s apt. He lives right on the river. He has a very cool racing simulator. Actually sit in the driver’s seat and race. A car nut like me. He has driven Nurburgring. Saw his video. Also watched some drifting videos. Crazy stuff. Then went to the zoo. Very cool, especially the penguin center. Seven different kinds. Could walk under the habitat and see them swimming from below. Nephew took a pottery class at the famous Pewabic tile company. Picked up some of his items he made. Very interesting to see the tile and pottery manufacture process. Last night we went to KC and the Sunshine Band. Great show. Lots of dancing in the aisles. Many pics to follow once I get them organized.

Right now we are having a big thunderstorm, right in the middle of what was supposed to be Vito’s race. And Cars and Coffee. Had to bag it. So relaxing before meeting nephew for brunch and the Motown Museum. Probably will go to the Ford Museum tomorrow.

Last edited by MsPerky; 06-29-2024 at 04:16 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by MsPerky:
dlq04 (06-29-2024), jukngene (06-29-2024), Lainey (06-29-2024), robb (06-29-2024), valentine (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 05:49 AM

Received 5,330 Likes on 3,170 Posts

Glad to see you are enjoying Detroit. I can't remember the last time I went there .... probably a car show at Cobo Hall. Going to a Wings game is on my bucket list.
valentine (Yesterday)
Old 06-29-2024, 10:44 AM

Motown Museum was packed so we had to get tix for later this afternoon. Headed to a Lebanese restaurant in awhile, then the museum. Later this evening to a speakeasy for a drink to cap off the day. Went to the famous Guardian Building this morning. The tile work inside is amazing. And just returned from the Detroit Station, the old train station that has undergone a gorgeous renovation paid for by the Ford Foundation. Lots of history there. We lucked out to see it because it opened on June 6. Really cool to see it transformed from a decaying building that closed in 1988.
The following 4 users liked this post by MsPerky:
dlq04 (06-29-2024), jukngene (06-29-2024), Lainey (06-29-2024), valentine (Yesterday)
Old 06-29-2024, 01:32 PM

Received 5,330 Likes on 3,170 Posts

Never had any Lebanese food. I wouldn't know what to order. Neither of us are risk takers when it comes to food. I got brave last night and had jumbo cajun shrimp. It was really good. We did stock up at a local meat market for the holiday - two types of beef jerky, summer sausage, smoked kabasa, etc.

Last edited by dlq04; 06-29-2024 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-29-2024, 02:59 PM

Received 3,524 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Never had any Lebanese food. I wouldn't know what to order. Neither of us are risk takers when it comes to food. I got brave last night and had jumbo cajun shrimp. It was really good. We did stock up at a local meat market for the holiday - two types of beef jerky, summer sausage, smoked kabasa, etc.
Some Lebanese food is really good but I have to eat it at a high quality authentic restaurant , I generally like their beef kababs (beef shish tawook -best made with beef tenderloin) , it often comes with a side order of rice -they have a multi-coloured rice that is really good. I like the restaurants that serve freshly baked pitas , they are so good when baked on site, and I get a side order of fatoush salad.

I really like Cajun shrimp, the larger the better , I like it on a bed of grits (cheese or regular grits) .

Last edited by zeroptzero; 06-29-2024 at 03:54 PM.
buckeyesue (06-29-2024)
Old Yesterday, 05:32 AM

The Motown Museum was awesome! To be in Studio A where all the early hits were recorded was really cool. It is in original condition as is the rest of the house. Paul McCartney wanted to play the Steinway when he visited, but it was not playable. So he paid for the restoration and was the first person to play it when it was done. Today headed to the Ford Museum and the Detroit Institute of the Arts. Then eating all the leftovers from the Lebanese restaurant. We ordered too much food.

Got so many pics will probably do a separate thread. Really a great weekend.
The following 5 users liked this post by MsPerky:
buckeyesue (Yesterday), jukngene (Yesterday), Lainey (Yesterday), robb (Yesterday), zeroptzero (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:45 AM

Received 4,009 Likes on 3,155 Posts

Too much food I don’t understand that concept
Heyitsgary (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM

Last day in Detroit was another good one. The Ford Museum is very cool. All kinds of displays. Among the most notable items were John Kennedy’s limo in which he was shot. It now has a hardtop. Also Rosa Parks’ famous bus where she refused to sit in the back. And the chair from Ford’s Theater where Lincoln was sitting when he was assassinated. Def should be on a list of places to visit if you have not.

I had the very good fortune of reserving a hotel downtown which happens to be right across the street from a soft serve ice cream shop. I love soft serve. Vito is now out walking around and has passed a place that sells all kinds of cobbler. Yikes…he is bringing me a small cherry cobbler. Thank goodness we leave tomorrow morning before I get in more trouble!

Quick Reply: Vacation Plans - 2024 Edition