S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Tyreek Hill

Old 09-10-2024, 02:14 PM

Received 3,931 Likes on 2,641 Posts
Default Tyreek Hill

https://sports.yahoo.com/tyreek-hill...TXe60oz_lnr96s

it's annoying to see this kind of behavior.
according to reports, he was cited for 60 MPH. I've seen reports of 130-140 mph posted on twitter. I have reason to doubt since it was near a football stadium on a sunday with lots of traffic.
The body-cam video doesn't cover the cops in glory.
I also am curious about the number of cops involved in a traffic stop. Is this normal FLA PD behavior?
It does look like black guy + expensive car = drug dealer assumptions.
I get bothered by tis since my son's fiancé is black.
Old 09-10-2024, 02:23 PM

Received 5,742 Likes on 3,383 Posts

I give credit to the police for immediately releasing the body cam video. It tells the story and it doesn't reflect well on the PD. The one cop acts like he was sure he had a dangerous drug dealer.
The following users liked this post:
valentine (09-12-2024)
Old 09-10-2024, 08:07 PM
tof

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I also am curious about the number of cops involved in a traffic stop. Is this normal FLA PD behavior?
Jerry, did you really use the words "normal", "behavior" and "FLA" in the same sentence?

Setting aside the FLAPD behavior and the clear demonstration of racial profiling, I would point out that Hill has engaged in some very unsavory off field behavior. But I still have him on one of my fantasy football teams. Hate the artist, not the art.

Old 09-11-2024, 04:16 AM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
Jerry, did you really use the words "normal", "behavior" and "FLA" in the same sentence?

Setting aside the FLAPD behavior and the clear demonstration of racial profiling, I would point out that Hill has engaged in some very unsavory off field behavior. But I still have him on one of my fantasy football teams. Hate the artist, not the art.
This why I have lost my respect for these overpaid athletes. Violence and actions like Hill are the reason Ray Rice punching out his girl friend in an elevator which led to his dismissal from the Ravens and so many other instances of violence. Disgusting behavior
Old 09-11-2024, 04:59 AM

Received 991 Likes on 511 Posts

Previous off field behavior isn't grounds for a traffic stop (unless there's some pending warrant). It does potentially impact a judge/jury in making other decisions down the road.

This is typical. Hill chooses to ignore, argue and push back on instructions by the police.
The police get agitated, use authority and push the limits of what needs to be done in the situation.

If you're on the police side of things, "all he had to do was listen and follow instructions", if you're anti-police, "this is brutality, it wasn't necessary".
If Hill says "You know who I am", people complain about privileged athletes.
If he gets dragged from the car, people say "You know it's Hill, he can't flea the country, just give him the ticket and go on your day".
It's a no win situation for anyone.

Jerry - "It does look like black guy + expensive car = drug dealer assumptions." So the 60 in a 30 isn't enough to warrant a stop, particularly in a busy area near a stadium, likely with lots of pedestrians. I'd also suspect that there's more police presence near the stadium, and some are there just holding back the onlookers. There's a few different clips out there - one of them starts with the motorcycle cop next to Hill, who's asked "what for", and the cop says "speeding" then stops behind him and gets off the motorcycle- that was the most complete one I found.

Ray - Rice got dismissed because he assaulted his girlfriend. I'd say that a bit different than doing what EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US HAS DONE - speeding and probably been caught. How he/we/someone reacts to that is the differentiation. Maybe you have it backwards? Ray Rice was 10 years ago. Hill can't possibly be held accountable in any way for that?

For the stats geeks out there... I wonder what the incident rate for athletes is compared to the general population. I wonder if we're biased because Joe Schmoe doesn't make the news, but the athlete does?

Old 09-11-2024, 05:37 AM

Received 435 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary
Previous off field behavior isn't grounds for a traffic stop (unless there's some pending warrant). It does potentially impact a judge/jury in making other decisions down the road.

This is typical. Hill chooses to ignore, argue and push back on instructions by the police.
The police get agitated, use authority and push the limits of what needs to be done in the situation.

If you're on the police side of things, "all he had to do was listen and follow instructions", if you're anti-police, "this is brutality, it wasn't necessary".
If he gets dragged from the car, people say "You know it's Hill, he can't flea the country, just give him the ticket and go on your day".

Jerry - "It does look like black guy + expensive car = drug dealer assumptions." So the 60 in a 30 isn't enough to warrant a stop, particularly in a busy area near a stadium, likely with lots of pedestrians. I'd also suspect that there's more police presence near the stadium, and some are there just holding back the onlookers. There's a few different clips out there - one of them starts with the motorcycle cop next to Hill, who's asked "what for", and the cop says "speeding" then stops behind him and gets off the motorcycle- that was the most complete one I found.

Ray - Rice got dismissed because he assaulted his girlfriend. I'd say that a bit different than doing what EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US HAS DONE - speeding and probably been caught. How he/we/someone reacts to that is the differentiation. Maybe you have it backwards? Ray Rice was 10 years ago. Hill can't possibly be held accountable in any way for that?

For the stats geeks out there... I wonder what the incident rate for athletes is compared to the general population. I wonder if we're biased because Joe Schmoe doesn't make the news, but the athlete does?
60 in a 30 should be a jailable offense in its own right. That’s reckless endangerment of the people around you.

that said, as far as I know, incidence rates are lower for athletes than for the public at large.

but who knows if they get away with certain things due to their standing and the allegiance of law enforcement to the local team. LaMelo Ball should’ve had his license revoked and cars towed years ago, and yet I’ve not heard a word from LEOs about him.
Old 09-11-2024, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
60 in a 30 should be a jailable offense in its own right. That’s reckless endangerment of the people around you.

I bet every one of us who has done a spirited group drive should be in jail then.
I'm not justifying Hill's behavior or tinted windows.
I have a strong dislike of hair trigger cops who will resort to maximal authoritative action at the slightest disrespect for their power and authority.
it's a long way from Andy in Mayberry.
Old 09-11-2024, 11:52 AM

Received 5,742 Likes on 3,383 Posts

I'm no shrink but I suspect a lot of time it has more to do with fear than power.
The following users liked this post:
valentine (09-12-2024)
Old 09-11-2024, 12:05 PM

When I was younger I worked with cops. it's both.
by no means all or even a majority but many have feelings of inadequacy.
So the badge gives them justification and validation. The fear is they will be exposed as inadequate when a challenge arises.
The tales after an event expose the motivation and actions.

I had a minor speeding stop back in the days of 55. I got out and asked to see the radar while the cop was walking back to his car.
"excuse me sir, can I see the radar please?" from 40 feet away, I had a cop spin, extend his left arm pointing at me, while his right hand drew his pistol halfway from the holster.
"Stop, and get back in your car!"

Police work has evolved into an absolute control situation when actively interacting with the public.
Look at most cruisers now, they look like they came from robocop. Dark, black and sinister looking to project the power of force.
I do miss the days of the friendly protect and serve black and whites or blue and whites.

Luckily we live in small town and all of our encounters have been positive.
Old 09-11-2024, 12:38 PM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary

I know it was 10 years ago. My point is that these issues have been happening for a long time.

Quick Reply: Tyreek Hill