S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Total Eclipse of the Sun

Old 08-22-2017, 12:05 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,484 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
Your return trip is worse than mine! Can’t believe it…

My return 252 mile return trip from Casper, WY took 12 3/4 hours behind the wheel due to traffic snarls. Had food in my SUV, so only made one potty stop (about 10 minutes).

Good luck, Patty!
I am back to Orange County in California: land of plastic people and plants. I had my house inspection in Loveland, Colorado on Friday. I'm really looking forward to that new life.
I pulled some weeds while waiting for the lock box code.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:11 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,747 Posts

It sounds like you may not be back at the old house very often. Thinking of renting it?
Old 08-22-2017, 01:01 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by MsPerky
It sounds like you may not be back at the old house very often. Thinking of renting it?
Nope. Never. I either will use it some or sell it.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 5,755 Likes on 3,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Nope. Never. I either will use it some or sell it.
Here's an idea - S2000 Vintage Get Away.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:25 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by dlq04
Here's an idea - S2000 Vintage Get Away.
Yeah, right. As I recall, you have never been to California and don't want to go to California.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:00 PM

Received 5,755 Likes on 3,391 Posts

Yeah, right. As I recall, you have never been to California and don't want to go to California.
I spent an Easter holiday in San Diego. Weather was awesome. But what blew me away was the kids home for the holiday driving dad's cars - Ferrari, Merc, etc. - one classic or modern after another. I sat at picnic like table, as I recall, in front of the motel or hotel (don't recall which) and kept thinking OMG you're not in Michigan anymore!
Old 08-22-2017, 03:33 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Hmmm. I'll only be 124!!
Well hopefully your retirement planning took this event into account.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:06 PM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
I spent an Easter holiday in San Diego. Weather was awesome. But what blew me away was the kids home for the holiday driving dad's cars - Ferrari, Merc, etc. - one classic or modern after another. I sat at picnic like table, as I recall, in front of the motel or hotel (don't recall which) and kept thinking OMG you're not in Michigan anymore!
Thats how it is in Naples, Fla. Kids driving around in their gazillionaire parents Lambos, Ferrari's, Porsches. I was stationed on Coronado Island in San Diego for my 2 year stint in the Navy. Talk about great duty. I love San Diego.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:06 PM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Just got back from Nashville late this afternoon. Grandson, Sandy's birthday, and eclipse all great.

I can't compete with Gary but here is a nice pic of the sun just starting to re-emerge taken by my niece who claims to have no photographic skills whatsoever. Taken with an OK point-and-shoot camera with no filters, exposure on auto.

The rest of these pics were taken with a Sony Cybershot, basically a snapshot camera.
A friend of our son let us all watch from her back yard on a lake in Hendersonville, Northeast of Nashville. Watchers included our nephew and his family who drove up from Orlando and several friends of Rob. Lots of nerds (and we are talking PROFESSIONAL nerds...software engineers, scientists, etc.) and kids. Great group with whom to share the experience.

Here is the false sunset just before totality. We were really lucky on cloud cover. As you can see, it was partly cloudy but the sun remained in the clear for the duration of totality, a little over 2 minutes from our vantage point. Unfortunately for many, in Nashville a large cumulus cloud rolled in just before totality and hid the sun for the duration. This included about 8000 folks who had gathered at the Adventure Science Center in downtown Nashville.

And we also saw lots of crescents among the dappled light under some shade trees.

One last shot at totality. Rob has a good camera but no filters for this application. Again, just shot on auto exposure.

We also saw "snakes on the ground" and some pics were taken. Waiting for them to be posted so I can grab them to post here.

What an awesome event.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 511 Likes on 304 Posts

Southwest did not pay for the hotel. Weather is not their fault so I didn't expect them to. We watched that flooding while sitting on the plane for close to 3 hours. It was quite a light show with pounding rain and thunder. We were told that if we didn't get out of KC MO last night we wouldn't get out until Wednesday. All flights leaving on Tuesday (today) were fully booked. We had lots of company who flew there for the eclipse. We are in Vegas waiting for our flights to Sacramento and Orange County.
As Mark Twain stated: "The weather, everyone talks about it, but no one does anything about it? "

Quick Reply: The Total Eclipse of the Sun