S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Too old to drive?

Old 03-16-2006, 02:15 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts
Default Too old to drive?

A couple of years ago we had an interesting thread about people who are too old to drive, the dangers and risks that they present and what to do about it. Perhaps its time to talk about it again.

In the not too distant future we will be approaching that age bracket. What will you, or do you expect to do about it?

Here is an interesting article from msn.com

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Insura...car/P144394.asp

How do you feel about older drivers?
Old 03-16-2006, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, and it's not based on any scientific data, I think that people who suck at doing things tend to get worse as they get older. There are plenty of people my age who scare me with their horrible driving, and I'm sure they'll just get more dangerous as they get older.

At the other end of the spectrum are people like Paul Frere, who still roadtest cars for magazines in their mid-eighties. See
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/185960670...5Fencoding=UTF8

Old 03-16-2006, 07:19 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,484 Likes on 1,890 Posts

My dad has finally quit asking about his car, and where it went. His license was revoked by the Dept. of Motor Vehicles, after his Dr. turned in paper work that said he had dementia or Alzheimer's. At least that's what my sister and I think happened. He was still driving for months afterward. Although we understood how he felt about having his license revoked, we both kept thinking of how we'd feel if it was one of our own daughters that he took out. He was unsafe but not able to see it.

Diamond Dave, I agree with you. My dad was never a good driver. He had a habit of stopping at green lights and blowing through red lights. I hadn't let him drive me anywhere in decades.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is human nature that we as drivers will never really know when it is time to stop. We have to hope that those around us who care about us will make the proper decision, when that time comes.
I believe that for their own concenience old drivers often selfishly and wittingly put other drivers at risk, all the time.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your perspective), my dad had a stroke and can't drive before we had to cross this bridge.

I think, in part, you rely on friends and family to help you see the light...just like in a vast array of big decisions in life.

Another biggie is when to retire...........
Old 03-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,484 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Brant. Nice to have you drop in. How is your dad doing?
Old 03-16-2006, 09:43 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

This thread brings back very sad memories for me. I remember when dad was first diagnosed with parkinson's and we went through a period of denial and we just couldn't face his mortality. After a time his reflexes slowed so badly that he had a very minor traffic accident. He got so flustered that the police officer had him cited and the court ordered him to re-take the driver's exam. He passed the written portion 100%, but failed the driving part. We all knew he wouldn't pass and we all knew he shouldn't be driving, but most of all we all knew it would be the end of dad's independence and consequently would shorten his life. I'd like to think that when I get to the point that I'm not capable of commandeering a potentially deadly machine, that I'll just cut my driver's license in two and mail it in to the licensing bureau. It is for many the last vestige of independence.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:30 AM

Received 3,190 Likes on 1,844 Posts

My Mom is to have a corneal transplant in the next few months. Healing time can be lenghty, up to a year. While it is legal to drive with sight in only one eye, I'm not sure an 84 year old should be.

We'll see what the doctor says about her driving.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:44 AM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

You should be O.K.,as long as you can run sub 14's,in the quarter,!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember hearing somewhere that it isn't slowed reflexes that sneak up on most aging drivers. The more common problem is growing blind spots in your field of vision. Your brain fills in the empty spots for you, so you aren't aware that anything is wrong until cars start to appear out of nowhere.

I hope when the time comes I'll have enough sense to move to SF, NY or some other place where you can live without a car. But it's more likely that I'll be just as impatient with the slowpokes in front of me even when I can't remember why I left the house.

Quick Reply: Too old to drive?