S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Tired of yard work, need to clear some brush?

Old 08-18-2015, 06:36 AM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts
Default Tired of yard work, need to clear some brush?

So are you tired of mowing? Maybe you have an area that is overgrown and you need to clear out. Here's an old fashioned way to deal with it.
Go green goat

I saw an article in our local paper about this business and thought "how neat!". Sunday while out cruising we happened upon one of the areas where the goats are housed. I got out to take a few , hoping I would not be for trespassing. Just after I got out of the car, a guy in a pick up pulled up. I asked if he minded if I grabbed a few pics and he was very nice.

He told me they have 55 goats in various locations. The one in my pic is "between jobs." He told me to take a walk towards the back where there was a little pond and some baby goats. Cute little things but they would not pose for a pic!

They apparently have a goat "stud" as one male was the father for most of the goats we saw. Some of them had great markings on them. They were behind an electric fence, but the gentleman said these were bottle fed goats, so they were actually friendly. His company is booked solid through September.

I hear folks in other areas are doing this as well. Anyone in your area?
Old 08-18-2015, 07:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually my Father in Law in SC did this for two pieces of property he owned .... EXCEPT he purchased a "herd" ........ .. the grandkids (my daughters) LOVED to visit just to see the goats. Unfortunately one herd was diseased and eventually died and the other he sold and took a trip to China .......
Old 08-18-2015, 07:30 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

My neighbor raises goats. My property backs up to his fields. It is amazing how quickly they can clear land. I've seen them work in groups to take down small trees. 2-3 of them will "pile" on to a tree and bend it it down to the ground. In a matter of a couple of minutes they will strip it bare of vegetation. If the tree is small enough, they will eat the limbs too.

He has rock piles scattered around and the young ones play "King of the Mountain" on them. It is a riot to watch them climb the rocks and push each other off to get to the top.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:25 AM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

we have some herds for rent around here too. We have lots of poison oak and nothing clears it better than a goat.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:37 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Several years ago Cleveland Burke Lake Front Airport used sheep to keep the grass under control at the end of the runways.

It wasn't a real baaaad idea!
Old 08-18-2015, 08:38 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

We have them here too. They eat lots of poisonous or painful vegetation. My neighbor had 4 of them in his yard. When he wasn't home, they ate through his screen door. Then they ate his kitchen, his living room and anywhere else they could climb. What wasn't chewed was hoof scored.

He wasn't a happy camper. Never saw the goats again.

fltsfshr
Old 08-18-2015, 08:54 AM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Originally Posted by fltsfshr
We have them here too. They eat lots of poisonous or painful vegetation. My neighbor had 4 of them in his yard. When he wasn't home, they ate through his screen door. Then they ate his kitchen, his living room and anywhere else they could climb. What wasn't chewed was hoof scored.

He wasn't a happy camper. Never saw the goats again.

fltsfshr
Oh my!!! I guess the goat owner should have had some fencing.....

Seems as if they are quite popular!
Old 08-18-2015, 09:27 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,139 Likes on 770 Posts

They're used in the DC area to keep one of the cemeteries brush free.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 823 Likes on 489 Posts

Amazon offers this service in some areas. I looked it up a while back thinking it may work out on some brushy areas here. Unfortunately they do not offer the service in my area and Jim refuses to let me buy a few.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:46 AM

Received 790 Likes on 534 Posts

And, they don't need gas.

Quick Reply: Tired of yard work, need to clear some brush?