S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Time to go for a walk!

Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM

Received 3,207 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
What if there was something simple you could do every day that would burn calories, be good for your heart, and help you stay young. You'd do it, right?

Researchers and doctors say walking cuts breast-cancer risks, protects your bones, helps you sleep, and more.

Well, that's why researchers and doctors are so gung ho about walking, especially in light of new research that credits it for everything from cutting breast-cancer risks to helping you sleep.

Walking is not just a weenie activity for the nonathletic, says Michelle Look, M.D., national medical consultant to the Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk and a physician who specializes in sports medicine in San Diego, California: "It's good for just about anybody, and the health benefits are particularly significant for women." Here, eight reasons to start walking -- or just walk a little more

8 reasons to walk

We enjoy walking. Our route is about 3.5 miles. Sometimes we'll take a drive in the S to a place where we know we can walk around for an hour or so. Cape Cod Canal, a local bike patch, somewhere with nice scenery. My little bones are "on the edge" of osteoporosis, so walking really is a must. Unfortunately, when the bad weather returns, I turn into a couch potato. The treadmill or gyms hold NO appeal to me.

Gotta move to Florida!
Wow! Time changes things. I'm no longer on the "edge" of osteoporosis, I do have it. Exercise is now most important. At home treadmill still holds no interest, but I did join the gym (YMCA) in 2011 and totally enjoy it. Fitness classes, spinning, weights, interval training, all at my level. And yes, we still walk. We try for an afternoon walk, often combining it with a top down drive. Winter months and rainy days are still an issue. It's not a big issue if we don't get the walk in; Rick does use his treadmill, bike and weights in the basement in the morning when I'm at the Y, so we've both had exercise in the AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM

Received 5,784 Likes on 3,406 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Just think how big my beer gut would be if I didn't walk once or twice daily.
I now know. That post was 16 years ago. Being honest, I don't do any walking anymore. Thanks to hip surgery, ankle surgery, and bad lower back I've lost the desire to walk the hood. Of course I know I should at least try.
Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,527 Likes on 1,909 Posts

I now know. That post was 16 years ago. Being honest, I don't do any walking anymore. Thanks to hip surgery, ankle surgery, and bad lower back I've lost the desire to walk the hood. Of course I know I should at least try.
I'm with you. I've been telling myself to get out and walk again. My right knee now is a problem with arthritis and torn menisci. I've ridden my ElliptiGO and it isn't bad. I want to walk but it's been too hot. Yesterday was 90*. Today will be in the high 80s. I need to give it a shot tonight when it cools off. I'm a fatty right now. Tonight I will do it!

^9-26-2024. So dry at 18% humidity and 90*. Denver broke a record yesterday.
Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,993 Likes on 2,664 Posts

7 years ago we were walking 4 miles a day for our golf trip. Now, no nots so much. If I get a quarter mile in day it's a lot.
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM

Received 473 Likes on 337 Posts

At the YMCA near where we live, they have elevated indoor walking track. I will take advantage of this track under inclement weather such as rain or extreme cold. I still prefer walking outdoors whenever possible.
The following users liked this post:
Kyras (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM

Received 3,207 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda 367
At the YMCA near where we live, they have elevated indoor walking track. I will take advantage of this track under inclement weather such as rain or extreme cold. I still prefer walking outdoors whenever possible.
I use two different Y facilities. Both have indoor tracks. I seldom use them. Walking around in a circle (or oval) just doesn't work for me.

I also switched to Brooks sneakers since my original post. I'm very happy with Brooks Ghost or Adrenaline models. I now need inserts to address Morton's neuroma. Isn't aging grand?
Kyras (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM

Donna just bought a little higher end New Balance yesterday for $150 and commented it's the cheapest shoes she has bought in a very long time. She also order a pair of Sas that will be in in a week. Finding the right shoes as we age is a true headache....ops, footache.
Kyras (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM
Member (Premium)

I went for a 2 mile walk. I used frozen peas on top and under my knee laying in bed before I went. I took three measurements this morning and it's swollen .75 inches in circumference compared to my left knee. My house is the highest point locally so it's downhill and then back uphill. Downhill is worse for the knee. I can ride the same 2 miles easier than I can walk it. Different muscles. At least after 1.5 miles, and coming back up hill my body was getting the hang of it. I wasn't happy until the 1.5 mile mark. I need to keep it up. It's still warm out at 7:51 PM so I took a cool shower afterwards.

Last edited by Kyras; Yesterday at 05:52 PM.
Lainey (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM

People with an engineering background shouldn't be allowed to talk about their walks.
Old Today, 08:26 AM
Member (Premium)

People with an engineering background shouldn't be allowed to talk about their walks.
Too much data?

Quick Reply: Time to go for a walk!