S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Three cars in a 2-car garage

Old 07-31-2005, 04:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Three cars in a 2-car garage

Hope this isn't too trivial a topic, but my wife Sue often complains that her car is left out of the garage, while the S2000 is always in the garage (even though it is driven the least) along with my daily driver.

I've offered to park my daily driver car outside, but she doesn't want to put her car in the garage next to the S2000 for fear that she may scratch the S2000 when exiting.

Anyone have a "reasonable" solution? Do any of you store your S2000 outside?

Important note-during winter, I always scrape her car's windshield clear of ice and snow as well as warm up her car.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:02 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Dennis,

Its the same here. My S always stays in the garage. The Acura (the one with the broken transmission) uses the other one. Liz's and Andrew's Civics live outside all year. Even when I offered to park the Acura outside, Liz refused to put her Civic in the garage, but she does complain about it.

There really is no solution. Putting the S out in the cold is out of the question.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your ceiling is high enough you can get a 4 post lift for about $5k
Backyard buddy is one but there are many different manufacturers to choose from.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:39 PM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

[QUOTE=ralper,Jul 31 2005, 09:02 PM]
There really is no solution.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:42 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I am facing a similar problem this year with the recent return of my Ausitn Healey (still in pieces, but most are home now, including that big one that has the wheels and engine attached). I'm pretty sure the S2000 is going into off campus storage for the winter. You can usually find indoor winter storage for around $100 to $150 per month. Heat isn't really an important issue for the car while it is in storage. That is more a comfort issue for the owner.

Even with this solution, my daily driver will still probably sit out in the cold either this year or next. I will use the space freed up by the S2000 as a staging area for the Healy parts. The only question is "will I have time to do it this year or will I have to wait till 2007?"

My wife's daily driver sits in the heated garage. I wouldn't think of putting her car outside so that she has to deal with ice and snow, just so an unused sports car can stay warm.

Think about this: There is some real chance of your wife falling and being injured dealing with a car that is parked out in the cold. There is almost a zero chance of anything bad happening to your S2000 from being in a cold garage off property as long as you properly prepare it. Even if it is injured, insurance should cover it and repairs are quick and painless for the car. Just my .02
Old 07-31-2005, 05:49 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

I've done it, but it's not to practical to work around. i had to do this to get all the S's out of a Hurricane. As far as the wife goes, I'd put her car in the garage and your daily outside. Hopefully the complaining will stop after a few weeks.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:59 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Jul 31 2005, 09:39 PM
Rob,

It's just a car.....it can go out in the cold.

Dennis,

We don't have a garage, so the "S" is outside in all weather. Rick keeps lots of wax on it, and covers it for the winter months, and if we are getting a lot of pollen, stuff falling from trees, etc.

I was surprised at how good it looked when it came out of winter hibernation, but I'm sure you don't want your leave your S outside if you don't have to.

Guess I'm not much help.

Nice to see you do the "auto start" on your wife's car in the winter months. Rick does the same for me, and it is much appreciated.
No, no, Lainey, the S can't stay out in the cold. In the winter I won't even open the door on my S's garage bay. I don't want it to catch a chill.

Actually, I wanted Liz to keep her Civic in the garage (and keep the Acura outside) as it's the newest car that we have, but she was insistent that the TL get garaged. Now that the transmission has broken, I may be able to convince her otherwise.

Bill,

When did you get the AH back? How much is it going to take to get it back together?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:00 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by goblueS2K,Jul 31 2005, 08:30 PM
. . . she doesn't want to put her car in the garage next to the S2000 for fear that she may scratch the S2000 when exiting.

Anyone have a "reasonable" solution?
We use a large four inch thick section of styrofoam against the door/side of my husband's vette or the S (whichever stays in the garage) to protect from an inadvertent door hit . The styofoam is lightweight and easy to move from car to car. I can open my door completely without touching the 'vette, but . . . better safe than sorry.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:13 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Our 85 yo house only has a one car garage....and a narrow one at that. My S2000 lives in there and, yes, I do hear about it. My dream is to have a 3 car garage in our future empty-nester residence

Maybe I'll try the 'auto-start' for Kathy this winter.....she would fall off her chair in shock
Old 07-31-2005, 07:20 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Is it coincidence that I bought a house with two garages? I think not.

Quick Reply: Three cars in a 2-car garage