S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

They're dropping like flies!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Unless you are into the "Tuner" thing or "Racing" thing, I am not sure what you can write about the S2000 except it is damn reliable. I hope it doesn't have anything to do with age of the drivers or the cars......... as some suggest. While I personally no longer have my Honda I can assure you, as an old fart, I log lots miles in a sports car and some of the best are short distances. We met a couple for dinner on Friday night. They live 1.5 hours away. They drove their MG 45 minutes and we drove ours 45 minutes to meet. We party'd the night away - good food, drinks, karaoke, and a great really cool trip home in the late hours - top down of course. Last weekend at the same bar there was a yellow S2000 but I never knew who it might belong to. Sunday we are off to another event, an hour away, for the Battle of the Brits. If I can log 4k or more annually in a 50+ year old car, imagine what you could/should do in newer metal.
Maybe that's exactly the kinds of things that you can write about, the adventures you have with your car.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Originally Posted by dlq04' timestamp='1378612015' post='22766937
Unless you are into the "Tuner" thing or "Racing" thing, I am not sure what you can write about the S2000 except it is damn reliable. I hope it doesn't have anything to do with age of the drivers or the cars......... as some suggest. While I personally no longer have my Honda I can assure you, as an old fart, I log lots miles in a sports car and some of the best are short distances. We met a couple for dinner on Friday night. They live 1.5 hours away. They drove their MG 45 minutes and we drove ours 45 minutes to meet. We party'd the night away - good food, drinks, karaoke, and a great really cool trip home in the late hours - top down of course. Last weekend at the same bar there was a yellow S2000 but I never knew who it might belong to. Sunday we are off to another event, an hour away, for the Battle of the Brits. If I can log 4k or more annually in a 50+ year old car, imagine what you could/should do in newer metal.
Maybe that's exactly the kinds of things that you can write about, the adventures you have with your car.
Actually I do, sorta, as Chairman of Michigan Chapter of MGA's I have to write an article every two months.. I try to focus on the joys of driving the cars or solving issues that may slow you down. I realize this is an S2000 forum and try not to toss out MG stuff too much. What's funny is the title of this thread... dropping like flies! I have seen more S2000's this summer in MI than ever before. I always wave or give them a thumbs up no matter what I'm driving. They most likely are not Vintage folks - - - yet, but they will be sooner or later. BTW, we had a group of young people gathered around the car Friday when we were leaving late in the evening; which is rare really (young people noticing the car). But one of the young guys said his grandfather use to have an MG T and his personal interest was what got everyone else paying attention to ours. Kinda neat.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:08 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,684 Posts

to Dave's point, there is a lot more excitement in a short trip with an MGA vs the S2000.
I have yet to climb into the S2000 and wonder if I'll actually get there without mechanical issues. .

I do think vintage remains an active forum because it is not just about the cars.
The love of the cars became a filter of sorts that selected folks of a unique character.
Those folks who carry a passion for the activities that they invest their lives in and we're certainly passionate about our cars.
This passion makes them extraordinary and interesting people to interact with.
A few years back a vocal few in the New England forum whined and complained that it was no longer a "car forum"
Commentary that wasn't about a car meet or working on your cars was strongly discouraged.
Today NE is all but dead as a forum. oh and the whiners, yeah they're long gone since the forum is no longer interesting.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:51 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
to Dave's point, there is a lot more excitement in a short trip with an MGA vs the S2000.
I have yet to climb into the S2000 and wonder if I'll actually get there without mechanical issues. .

I do think vintage remains an active forum because it is not just about the cars.
The love of the cars became a filter of sorts that selected folks of a unique character.
Those folks who carry a passion for the activities that they invest their lives in and we're certainly passionate about our cars.
This passion makes them extraordinary and interesting people to interact with.
A few years back a vocal few in the New England forum whined and complained that it was no longer a "car forum"
Commentary that wasn't about a car meet or working on your cars was strongly discouraged.
Today NE is all but dead as a forum. oh and the whiners, yeah they're long gone since the forum is no longer interesting.
Absolutely. There is much more to life, especially among Vintage folk, than just our cars. That was, in fact, one of the reasons for the Vintage forum to begin with. The problem, as I see it, is that we haven't seen a variety of interesting topics for a long time. Talk about your adventures with your car or anything else you care to talk about, but, lately there have been few active threads and few active participant. Lately the Vintage forum has gotten very old.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:06 AM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I had this discussion at S2KCA Days last week.

Up here most of the old guard have moved on and we were the only Ontario types to make the trip to Atlanta

If you add up the mileage including Spring Fling 3000+ miles so far this year Next year so far we are planning on SF2014 and considering S2KCA days in Portland Or

like others have stated stuff happens and people have other priorities.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Well, I still log on every day as there are people here that I'm interested in knowing how they are, etc. I may not have a lot of interesting things to say because my life is just not all that interesting. However, I'm happy that there are those who continue to post no matter even if they just want to say hello. Interesting topics are great but as I said, I have little that may be of interest to anyone going on in my life and I do not wish to log on to whine about how weary I am of cleaning, cooking and the other mundane things that are necessary or about the fact that other than 2 phone calls a day (one from each child), the only time my phone rings is to remind us of doctor appts. Such is the life when one is aging, but there again I'm not whining. Aging is far better than the alternative. Bolt, I enjoy the interesting little tidbits you find about various things and they bring a little ray of sunshine into my dull life. Keep it up, please!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MsPerky......is there a Vintage facebook page?
Old 09-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,684 Posts

Originally Posted by RedOne2007
hopefully never will be.
since I refuse to sell my soul to facebook, I would lose contact with my friends here.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,540 Likes on 1,916 Posts

Dave, I do a lot more lurking than posting these days. I'll type up a post and then never post it. Sometimes I think, "Who cares?" and other times I think I shouldn't put personal stuff out here, like I used to do. I just bought my third S2000 so the love of the car is still there. I still love to go to Vintage Meets even if I have to fly back.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by RedOne2007
Yes...I started one called "Cool Car Folks" a couple years ago and invited a few people whose "real" names I knew. We aren't very active, but occasionally someone will post. If you would like to join, PM me your Facebook name and I will add you. It is a private group, so no one but the members see anything that is posted, unlike this forum, which the whole world can see.

(Sorry, Jerry MA.)

Quick Reply: They're dropping like flies!