S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

They're dropping like flies!

Old 09-06-2013, 02:09 PM

Received 393 Likes on 236 Posts
Default They're dropping like flies!

What is up? S2000s are going away at an alarming rate over the last 18 months or so! Is it Vintage age? High mileage or loss of enthusiasm? Very much less activity in Vintage forum and almost no discussion of the cars. Personally I've had my S for 11 plus years and still can't wait to get out in it and do events. I believe we are all car enthusiasts- which is what led us to purchase the car in the first place. So what's happening?
Old 09-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,039 Likes on 2,684 Posts

Dave, I think it's sort of like being married for a long time.
The love is still there but you're just comfortable with each other and don't have anything to say.

and fewer of us vintage still have their cars.

sadly with all of the crapo going on this year, I've only put about 300 miles on mine this year.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,865 Posts

We're still here, Dave. Time is our biggest problem, grandkid duty has really taken more of it, we also had a few years where non fun stuff was gobbling up our vacation time, and we had to do a bit of "re-budgeting" when it comes to the expenses of frequently hitting the road for car meets. But then again, there just aren't as many meets to attend as there were back in the day.

Outside of Fall Crawl, NE is quite dead. I have an occasional small gathering at our place, but "retired" from planning the larger meets. Too many issues were ongoing with the group, several guys moved on to other vehicles, made babies, etc, and we just weren't getting the younger people to join in.

We still love our S, still manage to rack up the miles, this year with Spring Fling, a trip to VT and an upcoming trip to SC. There goes the rest of our vacation time.......

We'll be in PA for the Spring Fling!
Old 09-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

And don't forget,we are all getting older everyday.
Hope to be able to get to Spring Fling 2014,if health allow,...
We are loosing members at an alarming rate.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt just got back from an 8 day cruise to GA for a S2KCA meet. We are talking about going to Austin for the F1 race in November. We are not dead just not too many meets to go to.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:08 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

I've got mine still, but I'm kind of busy lately. I still love my S plenty, but have had a lot going on and it's in storage at the moment. It's going into a more accessible storage location, though, later this month.

Plus it's been a long hot summer in a lot of places. Okay, I made that part up as a reason for things being quiet, but it sounded good.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:06 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Dave, I think it's sort of like being married for a long time.
The love is still there but you're just comfortable with each other and don't have anything to say.

and fewer of us vintage still have their cars.

sadly with all of the crapo going on this year, I've only put about 300 miles on mine this year.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:07 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

Not sure about the cars dropping like flies, but I think it started with many members not being happy with the new format/ownership of the site and going elsewhere (like Facebook). Maybe not so much Vintage members, since they tend not to be obsessed with social media. I have stuck around, but have not been driving my car much. It's still tons of fun when I do, though. Also, for me personally, I'm really connected with some members who are no longer or seldom posting. So that connection has remained offline but not on.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:44 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

We need more interesting topics, maybe some more car/S2000 topics to get people involved again. Whatever, car related topics or not, we need more, interesting things to talk about.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Unless you are into the "Tuner" thing or "Racing" thing, I am not sure what you can write about the S2000 except it is damn reliable. I hope it doesn't have anything to do with age of the drivers or the cars......... as some suggest. While I personally no longer have my Honda I can assure you, as an old fart, I log lots miles in a sports car and some of the best are short distances. We met a couple for dinner on Friday night. They live 1.5 hours away. They drove their MG 45 minutes and we drove ours 45 minutes to meet. We party'd the night away - good food, drinks, karaoke, and a great really cool trip home in the late hours - top down of course. Last weekend at the same bar there was a yellow S2000 but I never knew who it might belong to. Sunday we are off to another event, an hour away, for the Battle of the Brits. If I can log 4k or more annually in a 50+ year old car, imagine what you could/should do in newer metal.

Quick Reply: They're dropping like flies!