S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Is there an American car that you would buy?

Old 01-26-2006, 12:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

American cars I would buy (but never will because I can't afford them):
Saleen S7
Corvette ZO6
Viper GTR (the new hard top)
Ford GT
'07 Shelby Mustang GT500
Chrysler Firepower if they ever build it.
Cadillac XLR-V
Old 01-26-2006, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine,Jan 26 2006, 12:08 PM
We all have opinions. Fortunately, despite the fact that I'm passionate about MY car, I would never try to force my opinions onto others.
Here here. My ex-husband drives an Acura TL, and IMO their navigation system is superior -- it gives to several visual options for your route as opposed to just one. But he would very happily drive my car and vice-versa. His car did not come with auto-on headlights, which was surprising. He also had to have the front end of his car repainted under warranty within the first six months of ownership due to poorly-cured paint. But it did not end up in the shop as often as the Caddy.

I liked the interior on the CTS, it had a more cockpit-like feel to it than the TL; the TL also had aluminum details that dented/scratched very easily.

So again, to each his own...
Old 01-26-2006, 12:52 PM

Received 5,755 Likes on 3,391 Posts

Originally Posted by gomarlins3,Jan 26 2006, 05:10 PM
American cars I would buy (but never will because I can't afford them):
Saleen S7
Corvette ZO6
Viper GTR (the new hard top)
Ford GT
'07 Shelby Mustang GT500
Chrysler Crossfire if they ever build it.
Yep, that Saleen S7 is wild. I could put any of these in my garage; don't know about the last one. Not sure what the last one is - didn't they already build it?
Old 01-26-2006, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Jan 26 2006, 02:57 PM
I'm sure the CTS, like most American cars, is chock full of features. However:

Look at the difference between how well the TSX interior is integrated, and how the CTS looks as if it had an ATM machine screwed to the dashboard. All the acres of plastic in the CTS around the CD player, the gaps around the storage pocket below the climate control, and just the general uncohesiveness of the design. The TSX, to my eye, looks gorgeous, and feels like it cost far more than the $29.5k I paid for it (mine is identical to the picture, aside from the 6MT...I have the 5AT). The TSX looks like 1 person designed the whole thing, as opposed to the CTS where it seems 1 person designed the steering wheel, 1 the gauges, 1 the climate control, etc, and then they threw them all together. I'll admit, I bought the TSX primarily because of its gorgeous interior, so I may be a little biased.
<shrug> I don't see that much a difference one way or another, although I must say I never bought a car for the interior.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

I've been a lover of the Saleen for years, but always knew it was too impractical (as if the S isn't ) and too far out of my $$ reach. It is a beauty and ohhhhh the power, etc. We've seen several at shows here and there and every time I leave my drool marks all over the things.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:11 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Jan 26 2006, 02:57 PM
....Look at the difference between how well the TSX interior is integrated, and how the CTS looks as if it had an ATM machine screwed to the dashboard. All the acres of plastic in the CTS around the CD player, the gaps around the storage pocket below the climate control, and just the general uncohesiveness of the design. The TSX, to my eye, looks gorgeous....
I have to agree with these observations, although I also agree with whoever said "I never bought a car for the interior"

Btw, what's wrong with having your own personal in-car ATM
Old 01-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

I am sort of chuckling at this discussion of the interiors. Not that there is anything wrong with liking a find interior, but I just went the other way and I am thrilled.

We had an Acura TL Type-S. It was quite a car, certainly the most luxourious car that I've ever owned. It had many of the creature comforts that we've come to expect in a car and it had quite a nice interior.

That said, I just got rid of it and bought a Civic Si. While I admire all of the things found in the TL, all I really wanted was a simple, plain, straightforward, fun to drive little car. My Civic is about as plain and simple as it gets.

I don't really care for all those buttons, and gimicks that adorn dashboard of a car today. I don't care whether you're talking Acura, Cadillac, Lexus or any other lux brands, the dashboards of all of those cars are cluttered, way too cluttered.

All you really need are the gauges (a full set), a heater, a radio/navi and you're in business. Enough is enough.

I think our S2000s are the best representation of what the interior of a car should look like. There is very little clutter. Not much of anything at all on the dashboard. And in fact, that is the most elegant look of all.

That said, I really don't think that American cars are losing ground to foreign cars because of the interior treatments. Granted, many American cars look "old and tired" on the inside but I really don't know of too many people who base their decision on the look of the interior.

The real problem, I think, is perception. Detroit spent so many years designing and building bad cars that its hard to convince people to take a second look. Even if the quality, style and design of American cars replicates that of Japanese cars, the perception will hamper Detroit for many years to come.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Jan 26 2006, 06:37 PM
The real problem, I think, is perception. Detroit spent so many years designing and building bad cars that its hard to convince people to take a second look. Even if the quality, style and design of American cars replicates that of Japanese cars, the perception will hamper Detroit for many years to come.
It took many years for the perception of Japanese cars to turn around, likewise it will take many years for the perception of American cars to recover.

Remember when Acura and Lexus and Infiniti were announced, and everybody said, "Who would buy a LUXURY Honda, Toyota, or Nissan? They must be delusional." These days Lexus practically defines "luxury car".
Old 01-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jan 26 2006, 09:42 PM
It took many years for the perception of Japanese cars to turn around, likewise it will take many years for the perception of American cars to recover.

Remember when Acura and Lexus and Infiniti were announced, and everybody said, "Who would buy a LUXURY Honda, Toyota, or Nissan? They must be delusional." These days Lexus practically defines "luxury car".
That is very true, and the lesson that Detroit needs to learn is that Lexus, Infinity and Acura did it with good engineering and design, not with gimmicks and rebates.

The Big 3 have been "just one year away from getting it right" for as long as I can remember. Sooner or later, you have to get it right. Honda, Toyota and Nissan changed the perception by getting it right.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04,Jan 26 2006, 02:52 PM
Yep, that Saleen S7 is wild. I could put any of these in my garage; don't know about the last one. Not sure what the last one is - didn't they already build it?
Yes, I made a mistake. I ment the Firepower. I also added the Cadillac XLR-V.

Quick Reply: Is there an American car that you would buy?