S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Is there an American car that you would buy?

Old 01-25-2006, 08:02 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

By American car I mean a car designed, engineered and marketed by General Motors, Chrysler or Ford. I don't care if its built in the U.S.A., Mexico or Canada.

On the other hand, I'm not talking about cars built in North America by Honda, Toyota, Nissan or other foreign companies.

I wasn't thinking about the Volvos, Jags or Saabs (etc) that are now owned by these companies as I don't think they've had them long enough to put their footprint (not completely) on them. I would include them in the question 5 years from now.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:10 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

hmmm... I gave serious consideration to a C6 Z06. At the time I was *really* hot for the car I couldn't get one at MSRP.

Other than that particular car - I wouldn't choose an American vehicle.

I've had an American vehicle in my driveway from 1996 to 2003 (Explorer and Grand Cherokee) and both of them were o.k.

They were company cars so I was limited to American cars. My company instituted a "High Performer" bonus award vehicle program and I earned a 2003 Mercedes E-Class.

Worst car ever from an electronics standpoint. Made the Ford and Jeep look like our Lexus in terms of reliability.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:18 AM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Not to be contrary, but Volvo, Jag and Saab have been under the luxury car divisions of Ford and GM for well over 15 years and their influence has been quite strong. i.e. the X-class Jag is based on the same chassis as the mid-sized Ford, and that was quite apparent.

As far as the Big three, I am confused where to put Chrysler. Much of the design of the Crossfire, for example, comes out of the Daimler side, and much of the R class came out of Detroit. There is too much "world car" development to answer you question, but that's just my opinion.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Jan 25 2006, 11:11 AM
But would you buy an American car today?
Yes. The cars I listed
Old 01-25-2006, 01:55 PM

I wouldn't buy any of the current crop of domestic "daily drivers", but not because of worries about the quality. There just aren't any that don't make me yawn.

I was burned by an 83 Camaro. It had all the endearing qualities of an abscess. But that was long ago. My decision about whether I trust domestics now isn't influenced by my experiences with a car built 23 years ago any more than my decision then was based on my experience with the models of 1960.

My current rainy day car is a 98 Dodge Ram. It has twice as many miles on the odo as the S. Some of those have been tough off road miles. Yet it has made one fewer trips to the dealer for service than the S.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:18 PM

oh yea. i want one of those fords about to come off the assembly lines that were just informed of being axed.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by valentine,Jan 25 2006, 10:28 AM
The corvette otoh, only gets about 7 - 10 mpg,
Val, with the new gearing in the Vette I am getting about 20 mpg around town and just under 28 on the hwy. 6th gear is a true overdrive. At 75 mph I am turning about 1700 rpm. It still scares me to put my foot into it. I did find out that you can do the 0 - 60 run with w/o shifting out of 1st.

I did find one of the funniest comments in the owners manual. It stated do not down shift into 4th in excess of 130 mph
Old 01-25-2006, 02:38 PM

My answer would have to be NO. Detroit has come a long way in the past 25 years but from 1975-1985 they were turning out absolute crap and the opinions I've formed are (with few if any exceptions) not reversible. Even though some manufacturers are turning out some interesting products, reliability and Detroits continued lack of giving a damn about their loyal customers means I will probably buy imports till the day I die.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by ytdlite,Jan 25 2006, 03:18 PM
oh yea. i want one of those fords about to come off the assembly lines that were just informed of being axed.
You bring up a good point. Regardless of manufacturer, I won't buy I car that was built on either a Monday or Friday...statistically there's a greater chance there will be more issues with those cars than those built during the middle of the week.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:21 PM

Drum roll.............................................. ................ No.

Last American car I bought was a '99 Grand Cherokee. It developed a whine at 60 mph. The dealer replaced the entire drivetrain (except the engine) one piece at a time. Up to 59 mph, it was a great ride, after that, earplugs were the order of the day.

I ran across a Detroit auto industry article that said Jeep was changing suppliers for front axles starting in 2000 because of "out of tolerance" front axles that resulted in an incessant whine. I took the article to the dealer and he said, "How would you like it if we bought this car back from you and you lose no money in the deal?" I said yes and Chrysler bought it back.

Feeling a bit of appreciation toward Chrysler-Benz, I then bought a Mercedes ML430 that I loved until the electronics started getting scrambled every few months. Machine gun door locks, power windows that don't go up (even in the rain), the little sensor in the steering mechanism that talks to the stability controller, and the list went on to the tune of several thousand dollars (most of which came under warranty).

Why, you might ask, have I brought up a German car in this discussion? Because it was built in the US.

Deb bought a Passat station wagon with AWD and she loves it. For me, I can only see Japanese at this point in my life.

Quick Reply: Is there an American car that you would buy?