S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Is there an American car that you would buy?

Old 01-25-2006, 06:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spt-s2k,Jan 25 2006, 06:18 AM
The answer is simple NO!
Old 01-25-2006, 06:50 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Jan 25 2006, 10:26 AM
Of course, Carmen also has issues with certain Japanese products....the M series, IIRC And I dont' mean the one related to Bimmerland....
Old 01-25-2006, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I don't know, I see a bright spot for American cars yet. Current cars that I would consider, anything from Cadillac, Fusion/Milan, 300c, Focus, Mustang, Corvette, Impala.

Sure, there's a long way to go, however seeing the upcoming concepts gives me reason to be optimistic. Don't count out the American Big 3 yet.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:11 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by kadeshpa,Jan 25 2006, 10:50 AM
Don't count out the American Big 3 yet.
But would you buy an American car today?
Old 01-25-2006, 07:19 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Jan 25 2006, 09:04 AM
Wow! Majority says NO to American vehicles.
PS I'm glad Val has a good opinion of her +1's Jeep!
We love the Jeep, Lainey. The two jeeps we've had (both grand cherokees) are the only cars we've had that we "fought" over who would drive them. They ride great, perform well and are spacious and luxurious. We sold our '98 to buy the '02 and went to the limited edition with heated leather seats, loads of extras, etc. We love it and hope to keep a long, long time. +1 got the extended warranty and any time the car goes in for repair, they give him a rental to drive for the duration, no questions asked and no $$ out of our pocket. Its a great size, but has a swimming pool instead of a gas tank , but still manages good gas mileage and we only have to fill up twice a month despite +1's 30 minute commute twice a day. My mountaineer is a little larger than the jeep and doesn't have heated seats, etc. I'd have bought another jeep if we could have gotten it as cheaply.
Don't worry about the NO to American vehicles. This forum is a Honda forum. I'd expect if you went over to the ford or chrysler forums, they'd be dissing the foreign cars. As a matter of fact, +1 belongs to the 'vette forum and you wouldn't believe how many s2000s are stuck up in their tailpipes, which I think is the only reason those guys ever have to have their cars repaired: S2k removal from tailpipe. Oh and the reason they get stuck is the vette sucks them up in there as it blows by.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:24 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine,Jan 25 2006, 11:19 AM
..... but has a swimming pool instead of a gas tank , but still manages good gas mileage and we only have to fill up twice a month ....
I love this comment..... Val comes up with some doozies

OTOH, what IS the mpg that you get with this Loaded Leviathan
Old 01-25-2006, 07:28 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Stop and go city driving he probably averages 16 mpg. On the highway we get about 22-25 mpg. It uses regular gas, btw, not the premium as we do in the S. The corvette otoh, only gets about 7 - 10 mpg, but sounds like a jetplane on startup and shakes the dishes in the cupboard. We only drive it 1-2,000 miles a year. It is a total garage queen and will someday go to a collector. I'm getting about 20 mpg (combined driving) in the Mountaineer and both the suvs have 8 cylinder engines.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:43 AM

I sold my loaded 03 Cadillac CTS and leased the S2000 last Sept. The CTS spoiled me terribly, it had every conceivable gadget and goody and was fun and comfortable to drive, but it was expensive and spent too much time in the shop for chronic computer problems.

My GMC Sierra was GREAT, and it held its value. I still see it around town with its new owner, it has to have well over 200K on the odo and still looks and runs great.

I would buy another GMC truck no problem.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:51 AM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

I assume you mean cars form American companies, since my TL and my CL are American built cars. And do you place Aston, Volvo, Jaguar, and Saab in the American car class?
That said, yes, I would own a Corvette, the CTS or the XLR, I would even consider a F150 if I needed a "big" truck. I think that the quality has been improving on many of the American made vehicles. I balance that with "feren" cars that I would never consider Mercedes, VW, Kia, Hyundai, Suzuki and Nissan. All-in-all the only companies that I really feel totally comfortable with are Honda and Toyota.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:54 AM

My first American car was an '84 Ford pickup. How can you go wrong, they build a million of those things. It was a stinker. So I switched to a '97 Chevy pickup. How can you go wrong, they build a million of those things. It is a stinker. However, my '91 Jeep Wrangler has and is going strong. It was built in Canada though. Too bad a small bump in the road sends you through the roof. I don't know, guess I'd buy another Jeep. But if I needed a car today, the big three are not on the short list.

As has been noted elsewhere, the lines are blurred when it comes to figuring out what a car really is today. Everyone has plants in the US. Parts come from all over the world and get assembled who knows where. Some manufacturers have even run cars down a rival's assembly line if I'm not mistaken. VW blamed all their reliability problems on their parts suppliers.

Quick Reply: Is there an American car that you would buy?