S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Is there an American car that you would buy?

Old 01-25-2006, 02:28 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Jan 25 2006, 02:43 AM
After the last two new GM cars we bought ('72 Vega and '76 Camaro), and the two '05 Mustangs we rented last year, the idea of owning an American car scares me. I don't think there is any way I'd ever be comfortable owning an American car again, even if they routinely went a million miles without problems. Just been stung too many times, and I'd feel like a complete idiot if I let it happen again.
This is exactly how I feel and I think many, many buyers feel. Detroit spent a great many years digging a grave for itself, and now is having a difficult if not impossible time crawling out of it.

I think Red says it all when he says."I don't think there is any way I'd ever be comfortable owning an American car again, even if they routinely went a million miles without problems. Just been stung too many times, and I'd feel like a complete idiot if I let it happen again." A lot of us feel that way. I wonder how many would actually buy.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:19 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,284 Likes on 989 Posts

I agree with Patty -- NO!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:20 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Yes there are American cars I would buy. You can get stung by any auto manufacturer. We are on our second Grand Cherokee and have been totally pleased with the performance of both (we traded up to a newer model with more bells and whistles when the first one had about 60k miles on it). The dealership has been forthcoming and the service has been great. I love my Mercury Mountaineer and would buy another one in a heartbeat. Again, great service, comfortable vehicle, good performance, good gas mileage and no problems. I've had two ford mustangs and since they were half the price of an S2000 can't complain too much that they aren't as well put together (noisy riding). I had no problems with service at the dealer and any complaints regarding the vehicles were handled quickly. Over my lifetime I've certainly had lemons, but I have to say servicing the foreign cars I've owned was far more expensive than servicing the American cars. This is a group of people who've enjoyed the ownership of Japanese cars for many years and naturally gravitate toward those cars. The best car I've ever owned in my life was a 1985 Ford Thunderbird that when it was finally put to rest (it was involved in a rollover collision), it had 147,000 absolutely trouble free miles, got excellent gas mileage and was totally a fantastic car to own, drive, etc. I would expect we all have horror stories to tell about terrible dealerships, terrible cars, etc., but I'd buy another American car without fear if I ever want one. I think that new little Chrysler sports-type car is lovely, but I'm still enjoying my S2k, so I'm not in the market for one. I've discovered that following protocol at dealerships, moving on up the chain even to the point of contacting the motor company headquarters works wonders in getting questions answered and problems resolved. Ford Motor Company reimbursed me for service (just under $1000 worth) to my first Ford Mustang several thousand miles after the warranty had expired, by the way. I've heard horror stories about dealing with Hondacare warranties, but I'd probably buy another Honda as well.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:24 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

not a chance in hell. I have friends with them and no thanks. A good friend has a Focus, and I couldn't tell you how many times it's been into FORD to fix chit. I rent them every summer for my annual trek to Kalifornia and I would never own one. The Vette/Z06 is the only car that could possibly get my $.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No chance. I've had two Fords; a 1990 Probe LX and a '94 T-Bird SC. The Probe was reliable for its short life (totalled). The T-Bird, while a lot of fun, suffered every single problem listed in Consumer Reports over its 6 years and 137,000 miles.

When I look at the GM cars in the parking lot, I see a lot of peeling paint.

Even now, I'm still not impressed with the fit-and-finish of US cars. I was behind a Mercury Zephyr on Sunday, and the trunk looked as if it were a half-inch out of line with the rear of the car.

I just can't see taking the chance when I'm spending so much money.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:10 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,747 Posts

I'm trying to remember the last time I owned an American car. I think it was a Ford truck that my ex and I had for awhile in the 70s.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I have never owned what I could honestly classify as a "bad" American car/truck. I have taken a hit on resale on many, but all-in-all, they were not "bad". My first American car was a 1950 Chevy (made in Detroit) and my last was a 2005 PT Cruiser (made in Mexico). My favorite American car was a 1996 Buick Regal that I bought from my dad when he had to give up driving.

If I was going to buy another today, it would most likely be either a Chrysler/Dodge or a Buick.

YMMV

Old 01-25-2006, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have never stayed with one car model or make due to it being a domestic or import. It has always been what is available, what do we need, what can we afford.

I traded the S in for a C6 Vette (Had looked at the Boxter S but by comparison the Vette was a better value). I have been very pleased with the fit and finish of the car. It has lots of electronic toys but, no more than the Lexus or Infinity would have. While I have had it for only two months there have been no issues either mechanical, electrical or performance. Yes, the MSRP is twice the S but, it is one of the best American cars I have owned. Very solid. No squeaks or rattles (it is a convertible with the power top). The S was very reliable and other than all the TSB's which were long trips back to the dealer it was great.

I consider myself lucky in that I have never owned a car that has been a lemon or that has required a number of trips to the dealer for warrantee repairs. Even the Vega and Chevette I owned ran well.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:04 AM

Received 3,189 Likes on 1,843 Posts

Wow! Majority says NO to American vehicles.

Rick works for a Chrysler/Jeep dealership so we always have owned whatever they sell. Even Renaults for a while.

The Honda was the first car he bought in over 30 years that was not sold by the dealership he worked for. While we liked the looks of the Crossfire it just wasn't in the same category as the "S" in several areas.

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty as a daily driver, Rick drives a Grand Cherokee as a demo. My Jeep has 42K miles on it and outside of a switch on the heater control, I don't think I've had a bit of problem with it. Of course when/if I do, Rick takes it to work, gives me his demo, so my aggravation factor is zero.

I like my Jeep. I'd buy another without hesitation, though maybe one of the newer models on the drawing board as I'd like better gas mileage.

Reading how strongly many feel about American cars does make me wonder about the future of American auto makers. Since Chrysler basically pays our bills, that scares me a little!

PS I'm glad Val has a good opinion of her +1's Jeep!
Old 01-25-2006, 06:07 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Jan 25 2006, 09:04 AM
Wow! Majority says NO to American vehicles.

.....Reading how strongly many feel about American cars does make me wonder about the future of American auto makers. ....
.... and my paycheck isn't related to the Big Three (remember that term....should go into the Lost Words thread)

I have never owned a Jeep, but have several friends who had lots of problems with them (one now drives a Subby Forester and the other an Infinity FX-35....there goes 2 cutomers).

Our single American can was a 1986 Dodge Caravan minivan....replacing our too-small 1982 Honda Civic Wagon. It was a Class A LEMON and was replaced by a 1989 Mazda MPV minivan (with a 5 speed stick and 3.0 L engine ). As a result of the Caravan debacle, Kathy won't even consider looking at an American can It's a shame....

Quick Reply: Is there an American car that you would buy?