S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

And that's the way it is.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Default And that's the way it is.

Walter Cronkite

Old 07-17-2009, 05:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

RIP Walter. Wow the funny thing about walter is i always confused him with captain kangaroo
Old 07-17-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

I always like Walter. He had ten times the class of some of the current anchors.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,008 Likes on 2,672 Posts

He did a great voice over in the kids movie We're Back.

make me want some brain grain right now.

he of course harken bark to when teh news was the news which had ethics and gravitas. it was serious business, not entertainment.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 5,794 Likes on 3,413 Posts

RIP. He was a classy guy and the world needs more of them.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's been described as "the most trusted man in America." That's quite a legacy.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:39 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

On the subject of trust, an acquaintance of mine posted this to another list I frequent:

As some of you may know, I worked with Walter Cronkite in NY during the late 1980s when he narrated the Knowledge Products tapes on the U.S. Constitution. I had many lengthy conversations with him, all of which were very interesting -- especially those about his experiences as a war correspondent during WWII, most notably at the Battle of the Bulge where he was hemmed in with the American troops.

Virtually the first thing that Cronkite did on the very first day at the studio was to ask a studio employee to go out and get him a couple six-packs of Coca Cola and several of those giant Hershey chocolate bars, which he then consumed throughout the day. And this routine repeated itself every day thereafter.

Can anyone say "sugar rush?"

One other amusing story: On around the third day, Cronkite came into the studio late and looking a bit disheveled. He then asked if someone could loan him five dollars. He explained that he had gotten up late and therefore decided to take a cab rather than walk, even though he was staying near the studio. But he was in such a hurry that he forgot to check his wallet, and it turned out that he didn't have enough money for cab fare.

He then said: "I told the cabbie that I was Walter Cronkite and that he could trust me, but he said he didn't care who I was and that I owed him five bucks."

So I loaned Walter Cronkite five dollars, and he rushed out to pay the irate NYC cabbie.

JonasM
Old 07-18-2009, 10:05 AM

Received 515 Likes on 305 Posts

RIP Walter.

I have the memory of the only time that I have ever seen Walter Cronkite "lose" his composure. It was when he covered the launch of the first Saturn Five rocket to be used in Apollo program. As it was the first launch of this massive 363 foot tall rocket that generated 7.5 million pounds of thrust the block house was located where it had always been. Which turned out to be too close. When it started to lift off the TV camera started to shake, then the ground started to shake, then the entire press blockhouse started to shake and Walter started to shout progressively louder: "The ground is shaking, the ground is shaking, the entire block house is shaking". It was the only time that I have ever seen him "lose it".
Old 07-18-2009, 02:31 PM

Received 790 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA,Jul 18 2009, 10:05 AM
RIP Walter.

I have the memory of the only time that I have ever seen Walter Cronkite "lose" his composure. It was when he covered the launch of the first Saturn Five rocket to be used in Apollo program. As it was the first launch of this massive 363 foot tall rocket that generated 7.5 million pounds of thrust the block house was located where it had always been. Which turned out to be too close. When it started to lift off the TV camera started to shake, then the ground started to shake, then the entire press blockhouse started to shake and Walter started to shout progressively louder: "The ground is shaking, the ground is shaking, the entire block house is shaking". It was the only time that I have ever seen him "lose it".
I saw him remove his glasses and get emotional when he announced that JFK had died from an assassination in Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963. I will never forget that day and his newscast. RIP, Walter, no one ever filled your shoes.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many years ago I was watching the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Walter Cronkite was a guest. Carson mentioned Cronkite's fascination with the space program. The discussion steered to the first space flight with Alan Shepard. At the end of the press conference with Shepard all of the press was ushered out except Cronkite. Carson asked what Cronkite and Shepard discussed. Cronkite said he asked Shepard what was going through his mind as he was lying on his back waiting for liftoff. Shepard requested that Cronkite never tell anyone. He of course agreed. Cronkite then told Carson that Shepard said "As I was lying on my back all I could think of was this thing was built by the lowest bidder!"

Quick Reply: And that's the way it is.