S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Terminated

Old 06-21-2006, 10:03 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K,Jun 21 2006, 12:17 PM
Funny that you say that Lainey b/c my current firm is dealing with all of that 'stuff' right now. The smallish firm (where I am #3 person- Director of Architecture) just had the #4 (Dir of Interior Design) give the firm 2 week notice. She is opening up a gift shop Due to work slowdown, the firm had also laid off 2 senior $$ staff in the past 4-6 weeks. Luckily, I am only an employee.....no ownership. The firm will survive, but will continue to struggle b/c their specialty (office building design and interior design) has become a 'commodity'....just like toilet paper

As many of you know, I state all of the above as the former co-owner of a success and very profitable small business (1986-1998). I know all of the pro's and con's of starting up a business from scratch.....as a pre-Vint, in fact At this point in my life, I am happy to say "Been there/ done that" OTOH, I would encourage Jonas to give it a shot.....if there was any entrepreneurial DNA in his genes.

Consulting (as a sole proprietor) can also be a good gig in certain business specialties, but it doesn't work in all occupations. I am wondering if some of those suggesting this route so quickly ("earn 2x-3x your old hourly wage") have ever done it themself
I'm a partner, so yup.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:06 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Jun 21 2006, 09:32 AM
Jonas, start your own consulting company. Do what you were doing for other people and charge two or three times what you were making.
Unless I'm getting a cut of some employees, the best I could do around here is about 1.5x what I was making, and that assumes I can manage 2000 billable hours/year. Consulting rates aren't what they used to be, and I've got 9 years worth of raises under my belt.

I thought about it though....

JonasM
Old 06-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

[QUOTE=paS2K,Jun 21 2006, 11:17 AM] Funny that you say that Lainey b/c my current firm is dealing with all of that 'stuff' right now.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the self employment gig for a little over a decade. I still have a few of those clients that I take care of in addtion to my current job. In many ways it's the most rewarding job I've ever had.

The biggest down side for me was never being comfortable with the responsibility of other people's livelihood. So I never hired anyone and ended up being spread way too thin.

I enjoyed it but I'm more comfortable now just doing the 9 to 5.

Jonas - enjoy your time off. It'll all work out in time.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,135 Likes on 768 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K,Jun 21 2006, 12:17 PM
I am wondering if some of those suggesting this route so quickly ("earn 2x-3x your old hourly wage") have ever done it themself
Did it for 5.5 years. Many contracts with the Feds (the biggest advantage of living within sight of DC). Finally got tired of the 1099 route and found a consulting firm and went to work for them. Still basically independent but someone else handles all the paperwork hassles.

Hang in there Jonas. Take a couple of weeks and relax. Take the first week to just decompress. Take the second week and do a serious, in-depth self-inventory and discover what you really want to do...then go do it. The only person who can stop you is in the mirror.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:26 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Jun 21 2006, 01:03 PM
I'm a partner, so yup.
Bill, you only 'qualify' if you started the company from scratch. If you've risen in the ranks of an established firm and become a partner, that's a great accomplishment....but not the same as starting your own business
Old 06-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by paS2K,Jun 21 2006, 09:26 PM
Bill, you only 'qualify' if you started the company from scratch. If you've risen in the ranks of an established firm and become a partner, that's a great accomplishment....but not the same as starting your own business
Jerry,

I've taken over a business, started one from scratch, and worked as a consultant. Each brings with it it's own rewards and satisfactions. They're all good. In fact, it really doesn't matter how you do it. The feeling of accomplishment is exhilarating and like no other feeling in the world.

But, I do believe that you have to want to do it. I know many people who, for one reason or another, don't want to be self employed. For them all of the satisfactions and rewards are overshadowed by the work, the risk and the headaches.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by paS2K,Jun 21 2006, 10:26 PM
as usual.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by JonasM,Jun 21 2006, 02:06 PM
Unless I'm getting a cut of some employees, the best I could do around here is about 1.5x what I was making, and that assumes I can manage 2000 billable hours/year. Consulting rates aren't what they used to be, and I've got 9 years worth of raises under my belt.

I thought about it though....

JonasM
No doubt Jonas, the goal is to add employees. It you are not comfortable with that, it is very hard to stay make it ruly worthwhile. I don't rally knwo the details of what you do so I am sure you ahve a better idea of the market thanI do. That said, I have met many professionals who undervalue thier services. Sometimes charging a higher rate attracts higher end customers.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Jun 21 2006, 10:30 PM
Sometimes charging a higher rate attracts higher end customers.
As crazy as it sounds that is oftentimes absolutely right. Many clients/customers value the service or product based upon what they paid for it.

Often the more you charge, the better the client likes/appreciates the service.

Quick Reply: Terminated