S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Terminated

Old 06-20-2006, 08:26 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Terminated

Well, I join the ranks of the (temporarily) unemployed today. This morning, I drove downtown to what I was told was going to be a design session, and instead of a room with a coworker, my boss and a conference phone, there was a room with a coworker, my boss and a person from HR. My company decided to release the Cleveland development team, on the excuse that they would like to have the entire development team in St. Paul (corp headquarters).

I have 9 years with the company, so the severence pay can take me through the summer. I feel worse for my co-worker, Kim, who is due to take meternity leave in about 5 weeks. She only has a couple of years with the company, so her severance is much smaller, and this is definitely a bad time for her to be unemployed. Who will hire someone 8 months pregnant?

I saw this coming for the past year. Though the two of us know more about the current systems than the other 10 folks combined, we've been excluded more and more from everything that goes on. Therefore, I've had my resume out there for some time, and have a few options that I can pursue. I hope to hang out until the end of the summer, though, since there's plenty to do around the house, and I don't want to have to cancel all the summer plans.

Still working through this - I don't think it's hit me yet. No sympathy is required, though - I really wanted out of this company for a long time, but was hanging on for a good opportunity, not just any job that comes my way. With the severance package, I still have the luxury of some time.

JonasM
Old 06-20-2006, 08:36 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

OK, no sympathy if you don't want it. Instead I extend best wishes for a great offer to come your way.

Enjoy your summer!
Old 06-20-2006, 08:41 AM

Member (Premium)

Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks like you have a gardening opportunity now. I hope your co-worker lands ok.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, hey, hey! Sounds like party time to me with a paid vacation like that. I'd do everything I ever wanted to do while you don't have to hurry up and get back for work then I'd make me some lemonade and put my feet up and watch the clouds roll by and swat flies and mosquitos the rest of this all-too-short summer. Need some help? Your granny can show you how. Plus, you can't keep a good man down. Who knows what good things the future holds for you. Enjoy your summer and your family. Humph, that's an order. Their loss.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:01 AM

Your next company is going to be lucky to have you Jonas!

Have a great summer - ummm, want to come to Canada?

Old 06-20-2006, 10:09 AM

It looks like your gonna have one clean S. Enjoy the short break, you'll be in the thick of it real soon.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JonasM,Jun 20 2006, 09:26 AM
Still working through this - I don't think it's hit me yet.
I was laid off from a job I didn't want, which allowed me to leave a city I didn't want to be in. I knew it was coming. And yet, it still was painful. No matter how much you know it is coming, it is still unpleasant to feel like you have been personally rejected.

But in the long run, it was a great thing for me. Don't underestimate the emotional impact, but do try to channel it into something positive (like an excuse to go out and enjoy the summer!).
Old 06-20-2006, 10:27 AM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I had a similar experience. Don't let it get inside your head too much. Go balls to the wall and try to laugh it off. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

At least with it being summer you can get out and enjoy the S as opposed if this was Dec. and a couple feet of snow on the ground. Enjoy your vacation!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:05 PM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

My father used to say everything happens for a reason, I tend not to be so fatalistic. But what I will say is, if you were really unhappy with your job, this could be a very good thing. They have given you time to find something you like better on their dime.

As for Kim, Cobra will help with the medical and then she can take a little with her baby.

Quick Reply: Terminated