S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Ten Things That Will Disappear In Our Lifetime

Old 02-09-2014, 03:32 PM

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

Deb, I don't know of too many business folks who don't take CC. Many of them use them by swiping with a gadget on the iphone. If they don't take CC I'd say they'd have to take a check. I don't hand out cash, or keep much cash around.

BTW, I'd like to not have the expense of the land line, but as I said it's bundled and it does include long distance. Right now I rarely use cell phone in the house. Reception isn't that great.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still see payphones at Disneyland, but hopefully those will disappear.

As for music, I do agree mostly with what Dave is saying. There is still plenty of good music out there and I look for it. Online programs like spotify, youtube, and pandora make it easy to find new music. i.e. lake street dive's viral youtube vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EPwRdVg5Ug&feature=kp
Old 02-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,003 Likes on 519 Posts

We're also not talking about today or tomorrow, but some time in the future. Companies will react and find ways to handle business in ways they don't today.
Isn't it in Africa that phones are used as a transport for money transfers? We're seeing technology in ways none of us could fathom 5 or 10 years ago, let alone 20. I have no idea what's in store for me in 20 years, but I'm sure it will be very different that today.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:16 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Terdburgler

As for music, I do agree mostly with what Dave is saying. There is still plenty of good music out there and I look for it. Online programs like spotify, youtube, and pandora make it easy to find new music. i.e. lake street dive's viral youtube vid

That was good stuff.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:41 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Originally Posted by Terdburgler' timestamp='1391993697' post='23007100

As for music, I do agree mostly with what Dave is saying. There is still plenty of good music out there and I look for it. Online programs like spotify, youtube, and pandora make it easy to find new music. i.e. lake street dive's viral youtube vid

That was good stuff.
I agree, young people on the street corner singing… almost 50s like. And it wasn't in the slums.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Deb, I don't know of too many business folks who don't take CC. Many of them use them by swiping with a gadget on the iphone.
That's absolutely right. I think the credit card reader that attaches to your phone sells for under $70. Almost every vendor at flea markets and many service people use them to take credit/debit cards. Aside from the cost of check, and the possibility of taking a nsf check, credit cards are easier to deal with for the average vendor or service person.

These days, even New York City taxis take credit cards. Most of my colleagues take credit cards and have found that because they take credit cards they are collecting their money much faster.

I really do believe that the traditional check is very shortly going to disappear.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still good with a Timex.

Going to Ireland tomorrow - my Timex will make the trip with me.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:41 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

I really enjoyed reading this thread. Very interesting and thought-provoking discussions. At the end of it, I found myself feeling that I'm not really worried about the *things* which won't be around in my lifetime or even in the next 10 years. It's the people I will lose that gives me most reason to pause. Guess I'm feeling a little melancholy tonight.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by kgf3076
I expect to see wristwatches disappear very soon. It's extremely difficult to find someone under 25 with a watch. After all, your phone will tell you what time it is.

Don't have a phone, well, just for emergencies. And I love my waterproof Timex ... even tells the date and has a second hand.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
It's the people I will lose that gives me most reason to pause.
I feel the same way.

Quick Reply: Ten Things That Will Disappear In Our Lifetime